Why does the Black community depreciate Black clothing brands while putting white clothing brands on a pedestal?

Bushmaster69

Superstar
Daps
Ragstorichesrr makes some dope stuff.

Fubu and sean jean just didnt keep up with the trends. They got old quick.

IMG_4399.jpg

4.png

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Black folks don’t want to hear the truth

Yes black people do buy black designer clothing but not in large numbers like the European clothing brands

Thanks to the drug dealers, rappers and athletes who are the ones unfortunately have many people in our community thinking if u not wearing this gucci or louie outfit u really not poppin

Perfect example, I have seen folks go crazy over those louie clothes mary j blige be wearing on power same as for dudes..

This really changed in the mid 90s when the whole pro black, black college hoodies and clothing, mind thinking hip hop got replaced by executives pushing gangster rap and throwing nikkas a few dollars to support white own brands

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
It's something detrimental we do to ourselves. Observe hip hop...we depreciate artists in a year.

It's like black people stuck in this childish mode if always "fukk that old shut, get with this new shyt".

NY known as the fashion Capitol, they used to travel down south and tell their southern cousins that "it's slow down here". The fashions we wearing, they wore 2 years ago and they're on something else now.

In conclusion, it's a remnant from like the early 1900s when blacks started getting in to fashion and migrating from the country to the cities. And the city folk delineated from the country folk.

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Black brands were more youth targeted especially the ones that revolved around hip hop (a youth driven movement). The youth like the trendy shyt. Trendy shyt has a time limit to it, then it's on to the next trend that your brand may not have a feel for.

Polo has a baseline 30/40/50 year old look which isn't trendy because people in that demo don't chase trends. It also has its trendy shyt for sure, but when I think of Polo I think of a timeless look 30/40/50 year olds are rolling with.

It's not some weird self hate, it's just an example of how hard it is to build a legacy brand off youth culture.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Great-great deep questions.

So I’ll build on that with the following question.

Why is it that so many in the Black community put Christianity, lslam and Judaism over African Traditional Spiritual systems?

Answer(s) to your questions, are in answers to that question.

It’s deep uncomfortable truths that most Black ppl are not ready to answer.

Well one thing I do know ( and this is an uncomfortable truth ) is that politically African traditional systems have no real power in America compared to the traditional spiritual systems in America. With Christianity, you have numerous Catholic schools in areas that are dominated by Black people & Catholic schools are prep schools with an edge to get in a good college. Politically, being a Christian is safer and not seen as radical as with Islam. As a Christian you can maneuver being conservative or liberal. Why do you think Iyanla Vanzlant took off her head piece and we don't associate her with Yoruba like we did when she first came in the game? Her image now is a "traditional American" look because that's how you maneuver the American public if you want support. Queen Latifah's career really took off once she stopped wearing that Nefertitti crown and started looking more Americanized.

Now spiritually, lets be real here, The Bible speaks about the Lord blessing the covenant. The monarchy of Ancient Egypt reigned for over 3000 years but no longer exists yet the testimony of the Old Testament and the New Testament are still here over 2000 years later. God destroyed Israel due to sin but allowed Judah to still thrive according to the Old Testament. So the covenant obviously was real if Judaism is still a thing in 2024 like The Bible prophesied. Black people can see Judah and The prophecy of the Old Testament is still around. We also can see that Ancient Egypt fell in the BC era. So it makes sense that Black people today will go with what they can see is still surviving as a spiritual system and was prophesied to survive compared to what was destroyed in the BC era and no longer exists. It means that the God of the spiritual system that still survives is the real God.

Now you said "Answer(s) to your questions, are in answers to that question." So I'm wondering if my breakdown to your question about why is it that so many in the Black community put Christianity, lslam and Judaism over African Traditional Spiritual systems matches yours. Because I would really like for you to elaborate on my response and how it is related to why the Black community depreciates Black clothing brands while putting white clothing brands on a pedestal.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Off-White and Fear of God Essentials would like a word with you
:ufdup:

These brands seemed like they learned from the mistakes of past designers and don’t market strictly to one age group. I do remember Karl Kani tried to transition to dress clothes and business casual but the had he had fell off by then