Why does the Black community depreciate Black clothing brands while putting white clothing brands on a pedestal?

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Why did we depreciate Karl Kani....Fubu....Sean John...Rocawear? Is it psychological damage from slavery that the Black community makes it seem as if the white mans ice is colder when it comes to clothing brands? Polo, Versace, Prada, D&G, Armani, Chanel, Gucci, Louis Vatton.....All hot in 2024 just like they were in the 90's and even prior
Where is Tommy Hillfiger? United Colors of Benneton? Ed Hardy? Abercrombie? Von Dutch? Guess? Juicy Coture? Nautica?

You're comparing fledgling hip hop brands to the most successful clothing brands and Fashion Houses ever...not many brands last long. Polo is an outlier and even that was established in 1972. Gucci is 100 years old and Louis is like 175 years old. You're not even comparing apples and oranges, its apples and cherries.

Last edited:

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Where is Tommy Hillfiger? United Colors of Benneton? Ed Hardy? Abercrombie? Von Dutch? Guess? Juicy Coture? Nautica?

You're comparing fledgling hip hop brands to the most successful clothing brands and Fashion Houses ever...not many brands last long. Polo is an outlier and even that was established in 1972. Gucci is 100 years old and Louis is like 175 years old. You're not even comparing apples and oranges, its apples and cherries.

FUBU and Karl Kani were not Hip Hop related brands like Sean John and Phat Farm, that's a lie u just told. Hip Hop embraced those brands but they were not Hip Hop brands.

Abercrombie is still on 5th Avenue...that aint going nowhere.

And aint nobody gonna look at you funny if you went outside wearing Guess or Nautica like they would if u wore Karl Kani or FUBU. FACTS.

Also...U never answered the question in the OP.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
A lot of Black people are trendy followers.

Philly trends were damn near a uniform when I was a kid. Everybody walking around, looking exactly the same and if you didn’t, you would get clowned for it :huhldup:

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
It can be said that the urban brands historically didn't stand the test of time because they didn't diversify their offerings
It was streetwear; jeans, tees, maybe hoodies that's it

Sean John went casual and they were still depreciated to Dr. Jays rack wear.

Daps
This is false
no, there is plenty of truth in that. people with money and class wear brands that 99% of black hypebeasts have never even heard of, obscure and nondescript labels whose output is of exceptional quality in terms of materials and construction.

my closet is filled with pieces from brands that would have most brehs go :wtf:

i get a lot of my shirts and jackets from labels in germany and amsterdam.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I think it's because many streetewear brands super oversaturated the market and didn't create that sense of exclusivity. Honestly, the only Black luxury brand that has stood the test of time is Jordan. :mjpls: (Ironic since he is the worst-dressing Black multi-millionaire I've ever seen. :mjlol: )

When FUBU was hot, EVERYBODY was rocking that shït because you could buy it from damn near anywhere. I saw a FUBU/Ecko/ENYCE/Akademiks section at Burlington Coat Factory in middle school and thought I hit a lick :ohhh::mjlol:

I do actually hate when musicians, actors, and even pron stars big up Prada, Gucci, Fendi, and all these European-ass brands that don't give a fukk about Black people. I'll admit I'm a bit of a brand whore myself but I'm not going to put Ray-Bans in my stage name. :mjlol:

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
no, there is plenty of truth in that. people with money and class wear brands that 99% of black hypebeasts have never even heard of, obscure and nondescript labels whose output is of exceptional quality in terms of materials and construction.

my closet is filled with pieces from brands that would have most brehs go :wtf:

i get a lot of my shirts and jackets from labels in germany and amsterdam.
Facts. It’s all about quality fukk a label.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Nothing wrong with brands coming and going , thats natural.

The weird thing is black artists today would rather be a unpaid mascot for the exotic euro brands rather than pushing their own merch like they did in the past.

but you could argue that they are just more diversified now. Rhianna obviously a billionaire off her cosmetics and stuff, jayz a billionaire off various business ventures,
they don't just do jeans and hoodies anymore, they do perfumes, Vodka, Cereal, etc