Why Do Some Southerners Have No Southern Accent At All?

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Your pops needs to come home and re-up on that geechie.

He lives there now. In matter of fact, I need to drive down there and see him before the summer is up.

The accent never gets old. My best friend from college is from Moncks Corner and he hasn't lost his yet.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Southeasterner/MidAtlantician........have been told I have no southern accent....never fakes the funk......................unless, I'm in a professional setting, I watch my ebonics..... :manny:

Darth Nubian

I bought my first Ki from my baby momma brother
Daps
Reppin
The Black Star
He lives there now. In matter of fact, I need to drive down there and see him before the summer is up.

The accent never gets old. My best friend from college is from Moncks Corner and he hasn't lost his yet.

I'm from the midlands but have been in the low country for a decade. Dem boi got me sayin I E No!

SecretLover

iMAThugsDOLL ♥
Daps
Reppin
Pluto
chicks actually dig that shyt were you from? :ohhh:

new york/up north chicks would be like :scusthov:

:usure: negative ilove my country ass boyfriends accent sounding like a N.O. nikka :noah: and im from New York nikka. :umad:

.ilove southern accents what i dont like is southern nikkas that TRY & sound like they're from up top <<<< :stopitslime:

TheHonorableOmarSharif

HOLGang President U.N.I.T. Representative
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte by way of Chucktown What
I think some of it depends on if you lived in a region for a period of time. Case in point, I was born in the lowcountry and spent most of my elementary years there, but moved to GA for middle school, and the gulf coast for high school. Chicks in Atlanta used to swear that I sounded like I was from Macon, but now that I'm back in the chuck, cats still swear that I'm geechee.

Glad to see Charleston is represented on the boards though...

HOLGang

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't think Souther folk thought they had an "accent" . Gawd damn tho some of y'all Jawn be Thick AF, I be like nikka what!?!?

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
I've been told my accent comes out from time to time even though I was born and raised here in the A...I've learned how to turn it on and off though for When I'm around my people and when I'm in the work world.

AgentGrey

MeVsYou
Daps
I didn't think Souther folk thought they had an "accent" . Gawd damn tho some of y'all Jawn be Thick AF, I be like nikka what!?!?

this. I always gotta ask nikkas to repeat themselves down here,

and if I say jawn or drawlin down here these Georgia people lookin at me like
:leostare: "what dat iz"

⠀⠀⠀

HARRIS 2024
Daps
Reppin
CORONA, CA
it depends who your friends are and stuff

my folks talk like the typical older blacks from the south. my dad sound typical older black man in the south.

i grew up hanging out with nothing but whites. so i sound white.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
the south aint no different from any other region. i'm sure you can find people on the east or west coast, etc. i grew up thinkin i aint have a country but i been told i am :yeshrug: i can hear it now too

:usure: negative ilove my country ass boyfriends accent sounding like a N.O. nikka :noah: and im from New York nikka. :umad:

.ilove southern accents what i dont like is southern nikkas that TRY & sound like they're from up top <<<< :stopitslime:

:what: the n.o. accent is as close to ny as it gets

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I dont have a heavy accent aside from a few words being pronounced a lil different.

but usually the more tired/annoyed i get the heavier the accent gets.

but bytches like the Chucktown accent anyway :yeshrug: