Why Do Some Southerners Have No Southern Accent At All?

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
this. I always gotta ask nikkas to repeat themselves down here,

and if I say jawn or drawlin down here these Georgia people lookin at me like
:leostare: "what dat iz"

I've spent 90% of my life here and I have to listen carefully to catch what some of the folks down here are saying at times

Nancy Trillosi

punch drunk l♥ve
Daps
Reppin
Southeast
I'm from Charleston, SC and don't speak with a Geechie accent. Literally everyday someone asks me if I'm from here. My dad's from NY and he picked up the accent...hearing it mixed with his NY accent is :blink:

I do say "y'all" though. That's southern enough. :smile:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I'm from Charleston, SC and don't speak with a Geechie accent. Literally everyday someone asks me if I'm from here. My dad's from NY and he picked up the accent...hearing it mixed with his NY accent is :blink:

:myman:

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
the south aint no different from any other region. i'm sure you can find people on the east or west coast, etc. i grew up thinkin i aint have a country but i been told i am :yeshrug: i can hear it now too

:what: the n.o. accent is as close to ny as it gets

Even wikipedia knows this

The distinctive local accent is unlike either Cajun or the stereotypical Southern accent so often misportrayed by film and television actors. It is similar to a New York "Brooklynese" accent

I know its true cause NY and N.O. are the only strong accents that I cant listen to for large amounts of time. Unfortunately they're the ppl that talk the most. New Orleans and NYC nikkas NEVER stop talking I be like got damn :damn:

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
the south aint no different from any other region. i'm sure you can find people on the east or west coast, etc. i grew up thinkin i aint have a country but i been told i am :yeshrug: i can hear it now too

:what: no it isn't. People love N.O accents, they love when we say baby :takedat:

I remember I use to date this chick from the bay and she use to be like "oh bae say baby" and I'll be like :myman: hey baby and she'll be like :ahh:

:umad:

Boutdatlife

Shoe & music connoisseur
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Luda wasn't born in the ATL though

When I was in college people could tell I was from PG. But the area division was crazy, you could easily tell Bmore area people (the ooo sound was a dead giveaway) & Philly (bul), jersey was a lil harder though.

Year bruh us og nikkas don't really sound the same like shyt boy :jawalrus:

1017Breh

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Otf/Gbe/300/Sohh Icey
Can also be because not everybody is raised by ppl who are from where they're from

I'm from Texas. But I'm the first in my fam born in Texas so I dont have a strong accent since I was raised by Chicago nikkas

I still give the :stopitslime: to my grown ass potnas sometimes when they be saying me-maw, paw-paw, granny, aint-e (aunty)

Lone Star all day though :win:

This ! but when i was in Chiraq them Muthafukkas looking like :what:

PartyHeart

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mine only comes out when I'm drunk and/or angry apparently. Otherwise I "sound like a valley girl" :stopitslime:

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps

fukk outta here mang :childplease:

Ashyneezz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of my friends has that thick atlanta/south accent and dude was eating real good out here, also london chicks were absolutely in awe with his lingo.

I was jelly lol

My Texas accent is pretty thick. I need to come to London and feast

TheHonorableOmarSharif

HOLGang President U.N.I.T. Representative
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte by way of Chucktown What

Again...glad to see Charleston reppin...

Sansprix

Around the way girl.
Daps
Reppin
[ First Lady of TBM ]
florida is notorious for this

Word. shyt is crazy. I hear country ass people, and then people sound like they from the valley or some shyt. I remember when I first came out here to visit my fam, and they started saying "fitna" "fixin to..." and I'm like :what::wtf:

Southern people answer me this: Why the fukk do you guys say CUSS instead of CURSE? You tryin to ivent your own words and shyt? When I first heard that I'm like :what::wtf: There is an 'R' in that word you know?

chicks actually dig that shyt were you from?
new york/up north chicks would be like

:yes: I still get :scusthov: when I be hearing these country ass dudes speak.

:usure: negative ilove my country ass boyfriends accent sounding like a N.O. nikka and im from New York nikka. :umad:

.ilove southern accents what i dont like is southern nikkas that TRY & sound like they're from up top <<<<

Secret, I think you might be the exception to the rule:pachaha:

There's no mistaking where I'm from when I open my mouth. That BX comes out hard body when I speak:jawalrus: