Why Do Some Southerners Have No Southern Accent At All?

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Can also be because not everybody is raised by ppl who are from where they're from

I'm from Texas. But I'm the first in my fam born in Texas so I dont have a strong accent since I was raised by Chicago nikkas

I still give the :stopitslime: to my grown ass potnas sometimes when they be saying me-maw, paw-paw, granny, aint-e (aunty)

Lone Star all day though :win:

bewitched

Pro
Daps
born and raised in Boston with no sign of a Bostonian accent. People ususally think I'm Southern (my family is) or West Indian:yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can also be because not everybody is raised by ppl who are from where they're from

I'm from Texas. But I'm the first in my fam born in Texas so I dont have a strong accent since I was raised by Chicago nikkas

I still give the :stopitslime: to my grown ass potnas sometimes when they be saying me-maw, paw-paw, granny, aint-e (aunty)

Lol funny you say that...I'm born and raised in Michigan and my whole family says "aint-tee" instead of aunt....we all say "pop"...we call our grand dad paw paw...me and my brothers call or mom by name and we call our granny "momma"...weird.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's also crazy...is that my hometown (Benton harbor Michigan) is only 45 minutes away from where I was raised most of my life and for some reason Benton harbor raised natives have a strong country accent and different slang..real weird. Feels like a whole different state when I go down there....I still wonder to this day how they have that southern drawl.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Black folks in Detroit/Chicago still sound southern. Not all but most of us IMO.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker

:bryan::bryan::bryan::bryan::bryan::bryan: hey fukk u nikka!!

Sierra Mist

Banned
Daps
Such a shame. People speaking in without a limiting accent? How dare they speak so that you can understand what they say anywhere in the country. Let's all stay limited to our blocks.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The less educated you are, the thicker the accent.

This is true. If you are educated, your parents are more likely to be educated and professionals. It stands to reason, they would speak more mainstream English to be taken seriously in their profession and thus their kids would grow up without a strong regional accent.

Let's be reality, you're not letting a surgeon operate on you if he sounds like Jeff Foxworthy or T.I. You'll be like, i think i'll use that surgeon that sounds like a TV anchor instead.