Why Do Some Southerners Have No Southern Accent At All?

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Lived in the South all my life and don't have an accent. Probably because my mom doesn't have one and my dad progressively lost his Charleston accent.

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
I was born and raised in Birmingham, AL and I do have a very southern accent. I remember one time I was at work and I had to call a number to a company. Well, the number turned out to be wrong but the lady on the other end was from Pittsburgh, PA. For whatever reason she couldn't understand anything I said. Now I talk on the phone for a living and when I talk to someone at work, I don't sound like I do if I was on my personal phone. But for whatever reason she couldn't understand me.

Now my wife was born and raised in Georgia. Graduated from Tuskegee and everything and if you was to hear her talk, you wouldn't know where she was from. She had an assignment in Los Angeles, CA and it took her co-workers 2 weeks to find out she was from the South. They all said, "but you don't sound southern at all". And when we go to to eat and she orders some waiter/waitresses will ask her, "and where are you from"? This happens all the time without fail.

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
I have a Midwestern accent and people always give me the :rudy: face when I tell them I was born in Texas.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Luda wasn't born in the ATL though

When I was in college people could tell I was from PG. But the area division was crazy, you could easily tell Bmore area people (the ooo sound was a dead giveaway) & Philly (bul), jersey was a lil harder though.

I honestly never realized PG had its own accent (cause I grew up here) until I went to college and got away from nikkas in the area. Then I would here nikkas like Wale, Fat Trel, and Black Cobain rap and be like :ehh: them nikkas sound alike. I rememeber one Cobain song I was like :wtf: dis nikka really sound like Wale at times. And then of course nikkas at school would say I sounded like I was from PG :ehh:.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I knew this girl from louisiana that sounded like a valley girl from california, but yet her brother and the rest of her fam talked with a deep southern drawl. so is it only like a conscious decision some people make to NOT sound southern? look at ludacris and T.I for example, both grew in the atlanta but luda has no real discernible accent while its arguable whether T.I is even speaking english or not

is it more of some people not trying to sound dumb like the typical southerner so they supress their southern drawl? :smh:

My grandmother beat most of that outta me:mjpls:

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Some of ya'll southern accents make a nikka go crazy. I had a football coach my senior year of high school who was from Memphis and :merchant:...if the nikka didnt sound like Boomhauer from King of the Hill. Nobody on the team never knew what he was saying.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
I grew up in North Jerz and I have somewhat of an accent, it comes out on certain words and phrases, enough to tell that I'm from up north

Most of the dudes I associate with are from NY and NJ so I guess being around them makes you adopt it a bit :manny:

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm always amazed how someone can be two hours away from where you are from and have a completely different accent folks from Middle Georgia and Augusta sound noticeably different from cats from here on the coast

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
i dont have much of a southern accent but thats probably because im dominican. i had a hard enough time learning english period