Why do people want to see YMCMB fail so bad?

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
qEyQY.gif

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
I'm not going to say you are flat out wrong here, in fact I don't really have an opinion on the matter, BUT you have to understand how classics work in hip hop. First of all, let us separate the terms masterpiece and classic. A masterpiece is an album that is considered amazing, flawless, mindblowing, insane, revolutionary etc. A classic album, especially in hip hop is attributed to an album that most hip hop heads enjoy, respect, cite as a source of influence, something that changed the direction in hip hop, or something that starts a movement.

As a quick example, MBDTF is considered a masterpiece in modern hip hop, but it can't really be considered a classic because it didn't completely revolutionize the game or shake up the landscape of how people make music. The College Dropout can be considered a classic album because it helped usher in a different generation of rappers that were talking about different subjects that Kanye helped open up. It made people approach making songs different. It made producers change up what they were doing. It made labels change their mind on what could and could not be marketed.

For something to be considered classic it HAS to be respected by hip hop heads. If you want to call it a masterpiece tho, go ahead. Until we see the influence it has on other dudes in hip hop I think we can hold off on calling it a classic.

sporticus

https://bit.ly/36fn72e
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's human nature to want to root for the underdog, cheer for the hero, and then stomp him on the way down.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I'm not going to say you are flat out wrong here, in fact I don't really have an opinion on the matter, BUT you have to understand how classics work in hip hop. First of all, let us separate the terms masterpiece and classic. A masterpiece is an album that is considered amazing, flawless, mindblowing, insane, revolutionary etc. A classic album, especially in hip hop is attributed to an album that most hip hop heads enjoy, respect, cite as a source of influence, something that changed the direction in hip hop, or something that starts a movement.

As a quick example, MBDTF is considered a masterpiece in modern hip hop, but it can't really be considered a classic because it didn't completely revolutionize the game or shake up the landscape of how people make music. The College Dropout can be considered a classic album because it helped usher in a different generation of rappers that were talking about different subjects that Kanye helped open up. It made people approach making songs different. It made producers change up what they were doing. It made labels change their mind on what could and could not be marketed.

For something to be considered classic it HAS to be respected by hip hop heads. If you want to call it a masterpiece tho, go ahead. Until we see the influence it has on other dudes in hip hop I think we can hold off on calling it a classic.

Everything you described about a classic. Take Care has done.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
weezy needs to be humbled, he's been trash the past 3 years.

drizzy doing his thing, nicki is for homos/confused women, the rest of the roster are nobodies.

Basically. I think Drake is fake, but he has SOME talent. Wayne has been awful since the Carter III and Nicki is just a mess.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Everything you described about a classic. Take Care has done.

It hasn't even been a year yet. You can't decide it is a classic a couple months after it has come out. You have to look at what the album has done for the landscape of hip hop in retrospect. Where is the influence? Where are the rappers clearly stealing his blueprint? Where are the people clearly adapting and changing their music because of Take Care? Where is the movement? Besides that, it has yet to be accepted as a classic by hip hop circles. Like I said just call it a masterpiece or at least have the patience to see what this album does.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
rappers can go through real life shyt that affects their music breh... it doesn't have to be a physical injury, that shyt can be mental and could easily fukk with their creative process in terms of making music, also they can be in the game so long that they dont have the same vigor that they did when they started out which can lead to lackluster bars (basically what wayne going through now IMO)

i never said i gave his new shyt a pass, its still bad, im just saying that im not gonna complain about it when i can just listen to his old shyt :yeshrug:

as far as the nas thing goes imo he's always been a better rapper than wayne and i dont expect the same consistency from wayne as i do from nas. Sue me

I'm not saying expect Nas' level of consistency from Wayne. I'm saying Wayne should be able to maintain his own level of consistency....and he hasn't. His new shyt is so bad it's funny. The only other rapper that had this steep a fall off is Prodigy from Mobb Deep.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
As far as the "Take Care is a classic", it's easy to call something classic in the middle of an artist's run, when he's popular and in the spot light, a year after his album dropped. Just like all these hispter blogs were calling "C3" a classic as soon as it dropped. It's like....holy shyt, you think the guy that's in the spotlight is dropping classic music?! How surprising. People were saying the same thing about 50 Cent, in the middle of his run. Now people are like :huhldup: because he's no longer hot. There is nothing surprising about saying the "it" guy is dropping classic music.

Fred.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I'm not saying expect Nas' level of consistency from Wayne. I'm saying Wayne should be able to maintain his own level of consistency....and he hasn't. His new shyt is so bad it's funny. The only other rapper that had this steep a fall off is Prodigy from Mobb Deep.

Fred.

true i'll give you that, i just take into account him not being on all the drugs that he used to (ex. Em) and that you can tell that he aint even tryna impress anyone no more (all his skateboard antics)

but yea he fell off bad

i still blame Jay-z for failing to show rappers how to retire with some dignity instead of being booed off

all in all daps tho :smugdraper:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
I still think that Get Rich or Die Trying is a classic. Not a masterpiece, but it is a pretty damn good album

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
As far as the "Take Care is a classic", it's easy to call something classic in the middle of an artist's run, when he's popular and in the spot light, a year after his album dropped. Just like all these hispter blogs were calling "C3" a classic as soon as it dropped. It's like....holy shyt, you think the guy that's in the spotlight is dropping classic music?! How surprising. People were saying the same thing about 50 Cent, in the middle of his run. Now people are like :wtf: because he's no longer hot.

Fred.

but 50 did release a classic...

what other album in the 00's had an impact like GRODT?

besides MMLP, EMSHOW, Speakerboxx/love below,

you do know GRDOT is 12mil

MMLP is 19mil
TES is 19mil
Speakerboxxxxxxxxxxx is 11mil
CD is only @ 3mil :russ:

dont gimme that well in todays game sales are lower... EM sold 5mil with recovery from 2010 -present:gladbron:

if TC is such a CLASSIC album why cant it even sell half the amount of an EM album that was released in the same time period...

oh wait.... your gon say.. WHITE PEOPLE!!!!

like drakes fanbase isnt 90% white

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I still think that Get Rich or Die Trying is a classic. Not a masterpiece, but it is a pretty damn good album

I don't even mean 50 or Drake in particular. I'm saying people get brainwashed into thinking whoever is hottest is dropping classic shyt, simply because they're the hottest.

In 10 years if people still think Drake is a great rapper, or his albums are classic, so be it. But a year later? In the middle of his run? shyt is :snoop: because we go through this with literally every rapper that gets the spot light.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
but 50 did release a classic...

what other album in the 00's had an impact like GRODT?

besides MMLP, EMSHOW, Speakerboxx/love below,

you do know GRDOT is 12mil

MMLP is 19mil
TES is 19mil
Speakerboxxxxxxxxxxx is 11mil
CD is only @ 3mil :russ:

dont gimme that well in todays game sales are lower... EM sold 5mil with recovery from 2010 -present:gladbron:

if TC is such a CLASSIC album why cant it even sell half the amount of an EM album that was released in the same time period...

oh wait.... your gon say.. WHITE PEOPLE!!!!

like drakes fanbase isnt 90% white

I been into rap since '83 breh, I don't give a fukk how much something sold. Especially considering once you hit the multi-million mark, it's obvious most of your fan base knows nothing about rap. You've obviously crossed over into the mainstream, and people that are in no position to rank something as classic or not.

That ain't even the point though, and this ain't about 50 Cent. It's about any rapper that is on top, is seen as "that dude" while he's on top, so it's easy to talk about his shyt is classic. Let's talk about whether or not his shyt is classic after he falls off and is a nobody.

Fred.