why do black pastors all do that "tell your neighbor" sh1t?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
As a minister, I'll tell you the real. It's insecurity. They fear losing the audience while preaching. So if you keep the audience engaged. You'll be less likely to lose them if you tell them to do the Hokey Pokey, then to straight preach from the Bible. Because with a lot them (not all) they really can't preach that well. That's why some of them be hooping and hollering at the end because they're boring.

Think of it like hip hop concert. All the old school "Throw your hands in the air". It's audience engagement.

we have a minister on the coli :gladbron:

ComputersPutin

All Star
Daps
Wow...

so interacting with your neighbor is dumb? Glad I know now...

Y'all act like church is the worst thing out...Much worse stuff out here. Most churches are positive and loving places to be and worship

naw interaction isnt bad...the church I attend does the minute where u share peace with people around the church, by shaking hands. Thats good interaction...

but I dont know whats up with someone giving u instructions to say something to the person next to you.

I attend a friends church..and no lie...this happened multiple times

Pastor: "yall about to have me start preaching up in here"

5 mins later going in to the sermon

Pastor "woo tell your neighbor Pastor sholl is preaching right now"

sound like a pat on the back to me lol

semtex

:)
Daps
Wow...

Y'all act like church is the worst thing out...Much worse stuff out here. Most churches are positive and loving places to be and worship
Worship deez nuts!!!

Schmoove

All Star
Daps
Wow...

:yes:

MoneyBags

Dapper Don Don Boss of Bosses Chief of Chiefs
Daps
Reppin
East Side!
yo, does anyone know the name of the holy ghost song? I've been to churches from the East to the West to the South and midwest, and every church has the same holy ghost music. y'all know what I'm talking about, the music they play and the pastor starts screaming and people start catching the holy ghost. that song has never changed, no matter the church.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Preachers are alot like rappers.

This part is the "everybody say 'Hoooo'!" of preaching

The reason rappers do it is to get the crowd hype (same with preachers)

One thing you guys are leaving out (I didn't read past the first page before posting...) is the power of everyone participating and getting each other hype. Wether at a concert or a church, the energy of the gathering increases and increases as the people participate. What Americans call Voodoo is all about this and by extension people of African descent - even in Christian churches - practice it to this day.

Vodun is about gathering, beating the drums, and chanting until the consciousness of one of the faithfull falls away and a diety takes control. The congregation then asks the diety questions and such.

If you've ever been to a black holiness church you've seen the same thing with people speaking in tongues, falling out, and dancing/running in the aisles. In the movie Rize they had a scene where a girl was "stuck" (extremely caught up in the ritual and they were carrying her): same thing.

The "talk to your neighbor" shyt is a very very mild version of this, but meant to get people involved for the purpose of building the energy of the group. The people who go all out in church are not suddenly stricken with the spirit out of nowhere, they have trained themselves to plug into the energy in the room by raising/waving their hands, saying stuff, and such. Eventually they "catch the Holy Ghost". Your stiff ass sitting there trying your best to look cool will never catch it. Get out your seat and jump around, you'll start to feel it.