why do black Americans dominate professional football and basketball?

why

• culture

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • genetics

Votes: 29 46.8%

• Total voters

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
this thread doesn't belong in higher learning.......
:mjpls:^

But anyway,

you may be right... however scientist have explored this numerous times. Where does a thread that deals with science, genetics, history, culture and social constructs belong?

Plus i was just curious because-- i'm thinking about my propective fantasy football team:sas1:
it's all black and that wasn't even intentional
so I was hoping the coli could educate me:sas2:

Daps
Reppin
Hamburg, Germany
maybe genetics but i dunno about that, but people have a different hunger when they are poor (do black athletics come from the underclass, like a lot of them? you tell me). in the german soccer leagues there are a lot of turkish players, and while we do have turkish middleclass people a lot come from the workerclass.

another case would be charly from my hood who i grew up with. while we were doing dumb shyt and do drugs, he did school and played bball all day. got chosen for usa tryouts or something and shook bill clintons hand. different kind of hunger.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
:mjpls:^

But anyway,

you may be right... however scientist have explored this numerous times. Where does a thread that deals with science, genetics, history, culture and social constructs belong?

Plus i was just curious because-- i'm thinking about my propective fantasy football team:sas1:
it's all black and that wasn't even intentional
so I was hoping the coli could educate me:sas2:
breh don't hit me with that mj smiley, it aint even like that. I just feel this thread has been made many times b4, in the coliseum. and it always turns into an internet race war with coli militants & trolls :umad:. as black americans, we already know its both culture AND genetics (just because you're athletic doesn't mean you'll have the talent to succeed.) yet, there's no option for "both".

you're baiting breh :sacup1:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
heavily tactical sports tend to be cultural (basketball, baseball, boxing)
athletic sports tend to be genetic (running, weight lifting)
then you have a third category of sport that combines the two in a more equitable way (tennis, swimming, gymnastics, etc.)

blacks and whites have more in common physically than many people think. american whites distribute their pool of talent all over the place, blacks focus it more, and european whites are behaving more like black people by focusing on just a few sports (including basketball). asians are pretty much screwed genetically and culturally in terms of the american prestige sports like basketball (though china may change that in the next few decades). latinos with heavy african and european ancestry are focused more on soccer, boxing, and baseball, while latinos with heavy native american ancestry are screwed for the same reasons asians are.

Mexicans runs boxing though :what:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I don't get why this has to be the case
it could simply be that one feature of a certain race is highlighted while others are downplayed or outright denied

Which is essentially what I am saying with nicer words.

But again it opens up the argument if someone is athletically superior, are some intellectually superior, artistically...are some genetically prone to violence, apathy, empathy, its a slippery slope argument which you really can't discuss without someone catching feelings or truly scientifically quantifying.

Daps
It's not just an endurance sport, Ghana and Nigeria have crazy speed and endurance but they still are nowhere near the top teams( pretty good tho).

It takes creativity, technique, and soccer IQ.

My Somali friend used to always talk about how black Americans are good at football and basketball but In soccer it's a different story but they are still in there.
San antonio spurs not the most athletic team but still dominate brehs. Tactics and teamwork>athleticism

Truth200

Banned
Daps
Also how do we explain white Athletes?

How can a white girl win gold and set the Olympic world record at running and jumping against the worlds best black girls?

You certainly won't see a lazy American white girl do this.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
Which is essentially what I am saying with nicer words.

But again it opens up the argument if someone is athletically superior, are some intellectually superior, artistically.
..are some genetically prone to violence, apathy, empathy, its a slippery slope argument which you really can't discuss without someone catching feelings or truly scientifically quantifying.
let them ask
they'll have to prove it by offering a level nurturing playing field, win win :yeshrug:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also how do we explain white Athletes?

How can a white girl win gold and set the Olympic world record at running and jumping against the worlds best black girls?

You certainly won't see a lazy American white girl do this.

The 100 Meter women's race is dominated by Russians and Eastern Europeans.

Fervid

Largest Member
Daps

Truth200

Banned
Daps
Best post i read on this topic yet by @blackzeus

Blake_Griffin_with_his_father_Tommy_Griffin_and_mother_Gail_Griffin.jpg

Yes, let's ignore Blake's Griffin mom being 6'2"+, with the looks and shoulders of a man, who was probably an athlete herself in her high school/college days. On a side note, didn't know Blake's dad was Haitian :ehh:

2) Nothing is guaranteed in life, everything is probability, however slim. That's why I as a scientist I talk like that. However, that doesn't mean something isn't 90-99% probable. If I take a stud horse, and breed it with a mare of good stock, odds are it's going to produce impressive offspring. That's why the stud horse's semen is worth millions. That's why slave owners would have their most impressive slave copulate with as many women as possible on their plantation. They're playing the odds that will improve their stock. You don't need to be a geneticist to manipulate characteristics. How do you think all the variations of japanese koi carp came into existence? The white Arabian stallion? Ligers? So you're saying the Arabs and the Japanese from the 1800s were geneticists? :dead:

3) Slavery in and of itself doesn't have a relationship to black athleticism. Mutombo, Dalembert, Ibaka, all probably came from stock that were never slaves. However the interbreeding that occured as a result of the plantation owner's quest to produce superior slaves has a direct correlation to your average professional African-American athlete.

4) Birthing A Slave- Book on Motherhood in the Antebellum south

^^^Direct quotes from former slaves from a 400 page book on the topic. This the last response to you breh, let's just agree to disagree

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
let them ask
they'll have to prove it by offering a level nurturing playing field, win win :yeshrug:

Then you get folks asking, how many resources do we expend on people that are inferior...it supports arguments that racists for hundreds of years have been making from Thomas Jefferson, to John Calhoun, to Adolf Hitler.

How about just make a level playing field and assume the aggregate of attributes an individual possesses can enable them to be successful in whatever endeavor they want to pursue.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Why, when these started off as sports that excluded black Americans?
Some of it is genetics. Hardly any tall Hispanics and Asians in the NBA.
Some of it is culture. Growing up in neighborhoods where youth basketball and youth football is available and where your friends are playing the sport and your parents are encouraging you to play.
Some of it is personal drive. There's prestige and money in professional basketball and football. You have baseball, boxing, soccer, tennis, golf and ice hockey where there is money and prestige too. But football and basketball seem to be more accessible. You read the background of black athletes going into pro basketball or football and a recurring story is personal drive. White athletes can excel at sports but then when they graduate college, some decide to get a desk job or whatever, not athletics. Getting into the NFL or NBA is not the be-all end-all.