Why did you walk away from religion/god?

ShenJingPoQi

All Star
Daps
Organized religions especially Abrahamic religions are very illogical by nature and create a very depressing vengeful god. For the biggest reasons I walked away is because neither of these religions make you happy, give you a premise of an illogical god and a depressing view of life and existence. The themes I gather from these religions is god is actually against you and is waiting to punish you. Oh and the concept of hell is very demonic by nature.

Money Be Green

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Pitts
It's a stupid reason, but I stopped giving even an iota of my time to God / religion when I failed algebra.

16 year old me thought that I could just bullshyt through classes all year, then pray for 30 seconds and get a passing average. When I failed that course, it was a wake-up call.

I realized that in EVERY circumstance that I have control, it would make much more sense, and be much more practical, for me to apply genuine effort than pray to a supposed omnipotent being that is wishy-washy with his powers.

:russ: Same shyt happened to me. I ain't study for a test, I closed my eyes and prayed :lawd:. nikka failed the shyt outta the test :mjlol:. I still passed the class but I was pissed :hhh:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
It's a stupid reason, but I stopped giving even an iota of my time to God / religion when I failed algebra.

16 year old me thought that I could just bullshyt through classes all year, then pray for 30 seconds and get a passing average. When I failed that course, it was a wake-up call.

I realized that in EVERY circumstance that I have control, it would make much more sense, and be much more practical, for me to apply genuine effort than pray to a supposed omnipotent being that is wishy-washy with his powers.

I believe in a practical world :smugfavre:

Praying over Algebra

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Who created God? That was the question I asked when I was 5. Couldn't get an answer. Did the whole stoicism, atheism, Buddhist walk and found my way understanding the book properly.

The story of Job is a perfect illustration of God being a psychologist crafting a control group and creating the environment of a person.

The most interesting part that should be brought up in these threads, is the mention of Alexander within the bible.

:sas2:

All roads lead to Alexander.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
-I'm spiritual & believe in God but I'm not religious. By definition I'm Pagan with Christian ideologies.

So native Americans living in 1200 AD all went to hell because they never heard of jesus or Judaism
According to a Sunday school pastor I was talking to Yes.
-I brought this up to a pastor using African bush tribes as examples & was told "God makes himself & Jesus known to all through life itself" & other such phrases. I was like knowing life exists & believing in a higher power won't make people randomly know who Jesus is & I don't believe God would just condemn people for never hearing of him. Pastor tried to come with excuses how these people & people who lived before Jesus was born should somehow know his name & purpose.

AllHolosEve

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Jesus is the incarnate word of God. Meaning he was there in the beginning and always has been. It’s him becoming flesh that is the difference
-I notice this doesn't even answer the question @CodeBlaMeVi asked: "What about people before Jesus was born?"

-Some religious people are like politicians, talk in circles & never answer a simple question. Jesus not being a flesh manifestation yet means he WASN'T physically here to teach people & his name WASN'T a thing yet. Having a belief in a God doesn't teach you the word, the name Jesus, commandments & scriptures that aren't even written or laws that aren't even made up yet. Being there in spirit doesn't teach people any of the shyt they're supposed to learn for salvation so what about them? Vague shyt like
"He was there in the beginning" doesn't answer the question.

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
-I notice this doesn't even answer the question @CodeBlaMeVi asked: "What about people before Jesus was born?"

-Some religious people are like politicians, talk in circles & never answer a simple question. Jesus not being a flesh manifestation yet means he WASN'T physically here to teach people & his name WASN'T a thing yet. Having a belief in a God doesn't teach you the word, the name Jesus, commandments & scriptures that aren't even written or laws that aren't even made up yet. Being there in spirit doesn't teach people any of the shyt they're supposed to learn for salvation so what about them? Vague shyt like
"He was there in the beginning" doesn't answer the question.
Yet it does

you have to think abstractly and abandon your idea of what is being described

remember Genesis 1

It is describing death and rebirth

in Hinduism the god of death Yama’s companion is Chitragupta which represents the written word and it’s power.

the realm of life and death overlap if you will

so you have to read scripture with that in mind

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Who created God? That was the question I asked when I was 5. Couldn't get an answer. Did the whole stoicism, atheism, Buddhist walk and found my way understanding the book properly.

The story of Job is a perfect illustration of God being a psychologist crafting a control group and creating the environment of a person.

The most interesting part that should be brought up in these threads, is the mention of Alexander within the bible.

:sas2:

All roads lead to Alexander.
Alexander isn’t even real :shaq:

he is Dionysus

thus the ptolemies goal of synchronizing their beliefs with Egypt’s horus(but all it did was confuse further)

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Something about the creation of hell and how god creates people he knows will go there just rubbed me the wrong way. And it didnt help that most arguements ended up being circular i.e. " god knows but he also knows that they could change".
That’s because hell is a Norse pagan concept

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Our god has defeated death by death and trampled the gates of hades :banderas:

th

AllHolosEve

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Yet it does
you have to think abstractly and abandon your idea of what is being described
remember Genesis 1
It is describing death and rebirth
in Hinduism the god of death Yama’s companion is Chitragupta which represents the written word and it’s power.
the realm of life and death overlap if you will
so you have to read scripture with that in mind
-Gotcha. I have to think "Abstract" because you can't answer the question. We're talking about JESUS, not that other shyt. Genesis 1 has nothing to do with Jesus walking the earth or bringing salvation & neither does the Hindu God of Death. You're bringing up more vague shyt that doesn't answer a very specific question.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
-Gotcha. I have to think "Abstract" because you can't answer the question. We're talking about JESUS, not that other shyt. Genesis 1 has nothing to do with Jesus walking the earth or bringing salvation & neither does the Hindu God of Death. You're bringing up more vague shyt that doesn't answer a very specific question.
That’s your own judgment

if you believe the word of god was not with god at the beginning then that is your belief

John 1:1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It is not abstract if you understand that the word IS God

and if that’s truth, then the word applies to all cultures

it’s not that different than Chinas concept of Tiger and Dragon

Able Archer 83

Two Minutes to Midnight
Daps
Reppin
It was a gradual process. I was born with a major spinal deformity. When I was nine years old, a preacher dabbed my forehead with oil and told God to cast the sickness out of me. Alas, it didn't work. As I said, I was nine years old, so the implications didn't take right away, but I began to feel serious, serious doubt over the next seven or so years, reaching a climax after my last spinal fusion, where I had severe post-surgical depression and generally began to be sick of everything and cynical towards everything, including religion. I gradually became an atheist, and never looked back.