Why Did Fat Joe Block Everybody After The Release of Microphone Check?

Ricky Fontaine

Superstar
Daps
The attention the film is getting is due to manufactured controversy that preceded it and/or carried over post-release. It's always been promotion. See the thread and focus on Fat Joe....

It just hit me as I type: Is there even a discussion thread on the CONTENT of film??? :dahell: All I've seen is this shyt and a thread about the premier in NYC.

The film is pretty straight forward. If you're a super hardcore hip-hop head, none of it is new. And the casuals don't/wouldn't care.

I would venture to say that it was exclusively made for internet beef lol

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
I dont know hip-hop but you cosigning a white dude who says Puerto Ricans made hip-hop with blacks "50/50". :mjlol:

Don't worry. I won't neg you back, I wasn't raised to be that bytch made. :umad:

:stopitslime:

Wrong.

You are out of the loop and this is your 2nd time misquoting me

I already stated that Joe's response was due to Tariq talking sideways about Joe for years outside of that 50/50 nonsense when he questioned why Joe ( a member of DITC ) was hosting the Hip Hop BET awards for 2 years which has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of Hip Hop. The 2020's is not the 1970's. Tariq made it out to be an issue that a Puerto Rican was hosting an award show on BET and Hip Hop culture doesn't do diaspora wars.

Like I said...I fux with Tariq but if he's wrong I'm not gonna co sign him when he's wrong like you are doing. That neg was because you want me to suck Tariqs dikk even when he's wrong but diaspora wars isn't a thing in Hip Hop. That's me defending hip hop culture which by your 2nd response confirms you can't relate. That's why I said you don't know hip hop.

Amo Husserl

Superstar
Daps
Okay...
Go argue your point with the pioneer himself. Words from Afrika Bambattas own mouth back in 1996:
First of all this is an authority argument, a fallacy. Based on Afrika Bambatta's morally questionable behavior and the fact you failed to cherry-pick any other pioneers to back what you say makes your point insincere.
But this is your Hip Hop historian king who was saying this just 6 years ago.
To Tariq's credit, he's not a historian. He knows history, he does not and has not studied history with the purpose of pursuing an academic career as a historian to utilize an advanced skillset of research and analysis to prove his point the first time. Like a historian, his documentary makes use of primary and secondary sources to get closer to the truth of hip-hop's ethnic origins that are Black American - ADOS/FBA.

Afrika Bambatta and Tariq Nasheed are allowed to get it wrong because neither are an authority on the topic.

Afrika Bambatta's life as a hip-hop pioneer from its birth until now is not law. This has been a failing of Black America to accept what elders say as law without question as much as it is the fault of white systematic racism against Black people that discriminates against them in academic settings to cripple their ability to accurately tell their story and be a true authority. People like Tariq and Afrika Bambatta are working with what they know.
:stopitslime:

Wrong.

This has nothing to do with any of that stuff u are talking about. Way before this docu was a thing Tariq questioned why was Fat Joe hosting the BET Hip Hop awards for 2 years. He made it into a race thing by pointing out that Joe was Puerto Rican hosting a BET awards show. He attempted to bring Fat Joe into his Diaspoa War and he's been doing so for 3 years now. He literally questioned why a member of DITC was hosting a Hip Hop award show in the 2020's. None of that has to do with the origins of hip hop. Try again.
Tariq questioned why a Puerto-Rican hosted the Hip Hop Awards on Black Entertainment Television, and it was a valid question based on hip-hop's origins as Black American (ADOS/FBA) culture. As far as Tariq was concerned there were other qualified people who should have hosted - Lord Finesse, OC, Diamond D maybe. Fat Joe's impact on the culture does not give him the credit to host a cultural event. BET's Hip Hop Awards is a ADOS/FBA cultural event. It is disrespectful to have someone who is not from the ethnic group's culture hosting at their events.

Let's not act like DITC was them dudes during hip-hop's run in the 90s. Fat Joe wasn't even the best rapper in the group. DITC dropped their debut in 2000, well after the prime of most of their members and Fat Joe is better known through Big Pun than DITC member unless you know the history.
Since you want to appeal to authority, let's read it from Fat Joe himself:
Joseph Antonio Cartagena, p.k.a. Fat Joe, is one of Rap Music’s most influential artists. He was born and raised in the South Bronx area of New York City by parents of Puerto Rican and Cuban descent. Growing up he was constantly influenced by his family’s diverse passion for music and surroundings. Fat Joe found inspiration from his older brother and acclaimed fellow rappers, Big Pun, Theodore, Funky 4+1, and the Furious Five. Fat Joe explained how powerfully impacted he was by expressing, “Latinos before us who had the opportunity to do it just didn’t know how to do it. They came in trying to do this black music, waving flags, but we’re trying to kick in the doors for other Latinos and represent our people, and it shows.”

Fat Joe acknowledges hip-hop is black music. Tariq is right, Afrika Bambatta is wrong. End of discussion.

Then he says "we're [Latinos] trying to kick in the doors for other Latinos and represent our people, and it shows."

Since he says hip-hop is black music and music is part of culture, why does he want to kick in the doors of another people's culture?
This was Tariq's angle. It's disrespectful. Why? Because they have their own culture they can promote, but that is not what is happening... See below:
What connections does Joe have to Funk, Disco, and Jazz (the core ingredients of hiphop)? You cant use someone's culture then claim you ARE all it encompanses. Most hiphop dances are derivatives of jazz swing , funk dance, and tapdancing moves. Same with the sound. FOH
This idea that we got break dancing from latinos is a fabrication that more or less erases black american swing dancing, lindy hop, and tap dancing culture. Essentially, carribean and latino immigrants flooded new york and absorbed the culture that was already there.
The point that was being made was that the influences of hip-hop predate hip-hop and that the influences are Black American (ADOS/FBA). The ADOS/FBA influence on not just hip-hop but New York culture at the time was the strongest for Latinos and Caribbean immigrants because they weren't accepted in white culture, since these immigrant groups shared neighborhoods and schools with ADOS/FBA people, they soaked up Black American culture being around them.

That's called assimilation. They culturally - not ethnically - assimilated into ADOS/FBA culture and shared hip-hop after the fact. After it was already created from influences of funk, disco, jazz, R&B, and soul... when other groups are talking about they helped to create hip-hop it's a lie because hip-hop was already created. In its infancy it was shared with others but it was not and can never be theirs.

That's not hating on other groups, they weren't needed when hip-hop was being developed, without them hip-hop would have still existed.

giphy.gif

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Okay...

First of all this is an authority argument, a fallacy. Based on Afrika Bambatta's morally questionable behavior and the fact you failed to cherry-pick any other pioneers to back what you say makes your point insincere.

Obviously u are unfamiliar with the Zulu Nation making such a statement. Hip Hop as a culture had Zulu Nation as an umbrella of a foundation. You're talking about cherry picking while being oblivious to the position Zulu Nation had in Hip Hop culture

Afrika Bambatta and Tariq Nasheed are allowed to get it wrong because neither are an authority on the topic.

:dahell:

Dude..Bam was an authority. He was the leader of the Zulu Nation. U dont know hip hop history.

Tariq questioned why a Puerto-Rican hosted the Hip Hop Awards on Black Entertainment Television, and it was a valid question based on hip-hop's origins as Black American (ADOS/FBA) culture. As far as Tariq was concerned there were other qualified people who should have hosted - Lord Finesse, OC, Diamond D maybe. Fat Joe's impact on the culture does not give him the credit to host a cultural event. BET's Hip Hop Awards is a ADOS/FBA cultural event. It is disrespectful to have someone who is not from the ethnic group's culture hosting at their events.

This is where I have to stop taking u serious. Fat Joe not only hosted the BET Hip Hop awards for 2 years but he was also the producer of the shows, which means that the people behind the scenes entrusted Joe (not the other DITC members ) to fullfil the duty of executing the show, Obviously the people at BET felt Joe was qualified being that they had him back to back despite what u and Tariq feel or think.

The fact that u didnt know Joe produced those BET Hip Hop awards shows tells me that u are just saying anything.

Also...What u said about Tariqs questioning why a Puerto Rican is hosting the BET awards being valid is bullshyt because Hip Hop isn't stuck on its origins being Black like u just claimed. That's some nonsense u just made up that has nothing to do with hip hop culture. Hip Hop embraces all ethnicities ITS NOT BLACK ONLY, Jesus Christ you really are unfamiliar with Hip Hop culture.

Sorry dude but I cant take u serious after u said the leader of the Zulu Nation wasn't an authority.
:snoop:

I'm done

Last edited:

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
As someone who is from The Bronx and saw with my own eyes how some of those 90's generation Zulu Nation cats were really out here acting like a gang, the last 2 pages of this thread really exposed that most of these posters are actually unfamiliar with UZN aka Th Universal Zulu Nation. which confirms most posters really dont care about the origins of the culture like they claim because how are u so oblivious to Zulu Nation yet swear up and down that knowing the origins of Hip Hop culture is so important? Had one dude actually say out his mouth that Afrika Bambatta, the once leader of the Universal Zulu Nation wasn't an authority. Jesus Christ.

:snoop:

Amo Husserl

Superstar
Daps
Obviously u are unfamiliar with the Zulu Nation making such a statement. Hip Hop as a culture had Zulu Nation as an umbrella of a foundation. You're talking about cherry picking while being oblivious to the position Zulu Nation had in Hip Hop.
I'm not oblivious to anything.

The Universal Zulu Nation foundation at first was organize from uniting street organizations in the Bronx, New York who went by the names of the Black Spades, Savage Nomads, Seven Immortals, Savage Skulls. A large base member ship came from out these specific groups, especially The Black Spades, It was through the ideal of Organizing many youth who were involve in many of these specific groups to be part of something new that was about to come on the scene in a different way.
Savage Nomads and Savage Skulls were African-American and Puerto-Rican gangs:
Go argue your point with the pioneer himself. Words from Afrika Bambattas own mouth back in 1996:

I keep telling people all the time that Latin Freestyle and Hi Energy music is part of Hip Hop. I keep telling people that a lot of the early freestyle producers were original Hip Hoppers. I keep telling them how the Puerto Ricans took the fast uptempo break beats from songs like 'Apache' and developed freestyle.
What is part of something is not what originates it. They are different.
Zulu Nation did not create hip-hop. They were there at the beginning to witness its birth and organized a movement around what was happening at the time, hip-hop. That organization early on was Black and Puerto-Rican, but what was happening was Black American culture.
It's easy to confuse the two. UZN did not originate hip-hop, they organized around it to be a part of it.
Which means hip-hop existed before the Black and Puerto-Rican organizing done by the UZN.

...and that organizing was done by *drumroll* a Black American.
Without Afrika Bambaataa creating the UZN, Puero-Ricans couldn't say they were part of hip-hop.
...already quoted Fat Joe.

:manny:
What more y'want?
We put them on. It's ours, they participated after the creation.
And that's alright until they try to claim they created something they did not.
Saul.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
What more y'want?
We put them on. It's ours, they participated after the creation.

Duh!

But you forgot that the first thing u quoted me on was me posting an interview where Bam said Hip Hop is colorless. After it's creation it was colorless. Don't know why u keep quoting me over and over again to keep talking about the origin when I'm talking about after Hip Hops origin. After Hip Hops origin, it became colorless. Stay there and stop reverting back to "But but but but the origin" when I'm not refering to that. No more needs to be said.

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
The one dude is trolling.

He keeps posting the Bam shyt when there is now a whole docu movie out and plenty of links of interviews with many founders debunking his and Fat Joe 50/50 bullshyt.