Why are Dominicans wholly convinced they aren't black?

Juven

All Star
Daps
Serious question. I've NEVER met a Dominican that acknowledges themselves as black. If you call them that they get extremely offended and always have to clarify to you that they identify as "Dominican", or one of the ethnicities from the DR like taino (I think that's what it's called).

Do these nikkas not understand that nationality/ethnicity is not tied to race? :dahell:

What blows my mind even more is not only do they not acknowledge themselves as black, but some of them genuinely think they're above them. I've had Dominicans dudes who're darker than me with nappier hair deadass look me in the eye and have the nerve to make disparaging comments about black people to me. Like...what?:dwillhuh:

you sure? what were your personal experiences like

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Again, the only problem with this is that many Dominicans look like Black Americans so they find themselves in places with blacks and it can get tense sometimes.

So they come to the US, and go seek out areas where the people look like them but then turn around and claim they are different..ok dominic00ns..

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
Ok, let me see if I get it right. In the Caribbean the non blacks include:

Some Cubans (white)
Some Puerto Ricans (white and mestizos)
Some Dominicans (mestizos and white)
Some Trini (East Indians)

Any other Carbbeans that are not black?
Filipinos
Chinese
Syrians
Mulattoes
Douglas

There are a lot of non-black people in the Caribbean.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Ive heard ppl say to Haitians they're not black theyre French or you're not really black your Nigerian etc etc.

Lol, I've heard that as well. Silly stuff.

Africans, AAs, Afro-Latinos, and caribbeans outside of majority black countries (there, they will use ethnicity or nationality instead) are reffered to as black all over the world, especially if they "look" the part. Like someone said, a lot of folks can't tell the different between race, nationality and ethnicity.

Last edited:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Haiti or Jamaica has the most, T&T doesn't have that much Arabs

most are actually Lebanese but we call them Syrian

idk how many we have in DR, but my wife was born in DR and she is actually part turkish. my uncle's wife's maiden name is Abad and she was also born out there

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
idk how many we have in DR, but my wife was born in DR and she is actually part turkish. my uncle's wife's maiden name is Abad and she was also born out there
yeah i know a lot of Arabs and other people from the Ottoman Empire went to Latin American countries, especially Mexico and Brazil