Why are 99.98% of Horror movies not scary

FLORIDA BOI

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you do realize that a lot of horror movies and horror movie ideas, were based on actual events that happened in real life or true stories (they just add more drama to it). (Texas Chainsaw Massacre - based on a serial killer in Australia, Nightmare on Elm Street - based on a town in China, kids were dying in their sleep, The Exorcist, The Exorcism of Molly or Emily (or whatever that white girl's name was) Child's Play and Annabelle are based on the haunted Raggedy ann doll, The Amityville Horror.. etc etc).
Texas chainsaw got the idea from ed ginn a killer back in The day

wolf creek is the movie idea about an Australian serial killer that really happened also

I like movies that could actually happen
wrong turn
excersim of Emily rose
the hills have eyes 1

these over the top movies now Ain't nothing

---

Superstar
Daps
Last movie legit scared me was The Ring :manny:

It was a good horror film, and the only one to understand how the brain works and how to use technology to get scares out of people based on how the brain and eyes receive information.

No other film has been cut and spliced like that, and it's a damn travesty.

Last edited:

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
the best kind of horror movies are the suspenseful ones and ones with a great soundtrack

It Follows is one of the best recent/modern horror movies

Clown is awesome too

Family Man

Banned
Bushed
Daps
I haven't played that one but the original Silent Hill on PS1 was the scariest game I ever played. The shytty graphics made it even more scarier since everything was covered in fog. You never knew if something was in front of you until it was literally 3 feet away.
I had to stop playing Silent Hill 2. Tension was too damn thick. I was damn near college aged at that time too :mjlol:

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Not true, it makes them even more.

What do you mean? 90% of horror movies in the past would be easily solved with a cell phone. Horror movies today haven’t done a great job writing around the conveniences of modern technology

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
They don’t properly set up suspenseful moments anymore, and the music for scenes isn’t the same nor is it properly set up. Actually, horror movies come off like comedies to me. I laugh way more than I’m scared.

ELESDEE616

Nikkas snitch on the coli like they name is Kobe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kobe snitched on Shaq
Watched The Ritual on Netflix, started off great but like most horror films these days has a complete tonal shift near the end with a shytty CGI monster that completely takes you out of it.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
The same reason comedies aren't really a factor like that

Novels require very specific imagery, and very deliberate wording, you have to very much invoke a particular picture, and use it to haunt someone, whether it be adult fears (like fear, rent, losing children) or the unknown (like the "nothing is scarier" trope". Most of all, you cannot waste a single line, as horrors, just like comedy, thrive on momentum, once it's broken, it's very hard to get back into the book or film

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
The same reason comedies aren't really a factor like that

Novels require very specific imagery, and very deliberate wording, you have to very much invoke a particular picture, and use it to haunt someone, whether it be adult fears (like fear, rent, losing children) or the unknown (like the "nothing is scarier" trope". Most of all, you cannot waste a single line, as horrors, just like comedy, thrive on momentum, once it's broken, it's very hard to get back into the book or film
Yes writing plays a big part. Think of all those Stephen King movies, they were all novels before the put them to film. And, in general, Stephen King is just a really good author. His attention to detail is insane and is what makes horror movies really that detailed