Why are 99.98% of Horror movies not scary

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
West Coast Avenger said:
If you really want to see a disturbing movie there is this old italian movie called Salo.....:hhh::hhh::hhh::hhh:.......

giphy.gif

I couldn't delete that utter filth off my hard drive fast enough!!!!!!!​

wild100sboy

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
Southside, Chicago
It’s hard for me to get scared at movies but Conjuring and Sinister had me like :lupe:

I like my horror subtle. A simple door just opening on its own or something simple like that has me like :damn: maybe it’s because it looks more realistic than seeing a monster or something

The older I’ve gotten, the more I see myself leaning towards non fiction entertainment

B...

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
The only film to this day I can’t watch at night by myself is the first Pet Semetary.. when Gage comes back to life it freaks me tf out.. other than that I’ve never been scared of horror films. I legit love em

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
I can't tell off top, but just picture some ish where familes who benefited from slave labor started getting murked or somethin, generational wealth, im just wildin tho

Lmao breh thats a good idea. But I thought you were gonna say something unimaginably sick. Even though some of these gore horror movies really push the limits.

TntBdx

Pro
Daps
Lmao breh thats a good idea. But I thought you were gonna say something unimaginably sick. Even though some of these gore horror movies really push the limits.

Yeah i could come out with some sick shyt but imma feel crazy typing this shyt , that was off top famo :jawalrus:

nkb97

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC
Honestly The Exorcist didn't terrify me that much when first I saw it. Yeah it was freaky, Reagan's face was horrifying:damn::damn:, but for a horror film, the movie as a whole didn't really get to me like that.

shyt like the Final Destination series always got to me. Be havin me paranoid like a mf. Just felt more realistic.

Oh, and like another poster said, "The Strangers". Now that movie legit disturbed me for real. And I don't scare that easily. That probably is the scariest movie I've ever seen. Gave me chills.

The Conjuring was laughably corny:mjlol::mjlol:

Like someone said earlier I prefer being 'disturbed' more than 'terrified.' Feels more effective. With a lot of horror films nowadays, they just "do too much". Sometimes less is more

Last edited:

Tigron

Superstar
Daps
It brought back slasher films but it was borderline satirical. It started a trend where horror film directors didn't seem to want to take scary films too seriously. It removed all suspense and creepy setups/strong plots and traded it for gore and (intentionally?) cheesy dialogue. It was insanely well received for those reasons, too iirc.
That's just my opinion tho. :manny:

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
Old School horror is where it's at. The more practical effects, the better. John Carpenter's 80s/90s movies are all great, with Prince of Darkness being one of my all time favorites. Nightmare on Elm Street is another one that can get my blood pumping. The more recent stuff would be the Thai version of Shutter, US Grudge (Sadako's reflection in the bus window shook the entire theater when I saw that one), Jacob's Ladder, The Descent (narrows should scare anyone), Dreamscape, Event Horizon (that death orgy scene still scary), and It Follows (Hallway scene scared a lady out of the theater I was at).