Why are 99.98% of Horror movies not scary

YeLovesBoston

Superstar
Daps
You start to realize how over the top and cliche a lot of them are. We've seen the same methods of creating suspense in a horror film used over and over again. There's not a lot of creativity with American horror films anymore.

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City
The Invitation was a good one because that shyt could actually happen....I don't think alot of you are horror buffs in this thread by the movies you are bringing up....The Void started off good but was disappointing....The Autopsy Of Jane Doe was decent but it could have been better....I've been watching horror movies since I was a kid in the 80's...yes alot of them are now predictable but there are still some good ones out there....you just have to look....

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Native of the NYC, getting fed in the Big D!
I had to stop playing Silent Hill 2. Tension was too damn thick. I was damn near college aged at that time too :mjlol:
My favorite horror game ever. Even James walking the path to get to Silent Hill in the beginning you hear all kinda shyt in the bushes but you couldn' see where.:lupe:
Going in Dark Mode at the jail tho :damn:

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
Overuse of cgi and jumpscares ruin horror. So many movies think having a LOUD NOISE is scary but being startled by a LOUD NOISE isn't the same as being scared or creeped out. A LOUD NOISE is not the same as being scared and I've seen so many horror films that the LOUD NOISES just make me go :hmm: now. It's a cheap way to get a reaction out of the audience. But that reaction isn't fear or terror, it's being startled. Because of course something loud will startle you.

Good writing, characters, practical effects, atmosphere >>>>> overuse of cgi and jumpscares.

Jumpscares don't have a lasting effect. It happens and you're like "Wow that was loud" and it's over. Good writing, creepy atmosphere, mystery, etc can have you thinking about what you saw (or didn't see) long after the movie is actually over. That type of stuff stays in your mind because you remember how creeped out you got or the idea of a concept having so many horrifying possibilities.

Note: Some jumpscares can be effective but you need the build up to actually make the payoff worthwhile. Think of the build up as a joke and jumpscare as the punchline. David Lynch does this well. Here's a scene from Muholland Drive.

He knows how to do the dream like atmosphere and creepy/uneasy feeling well in general. Watch the scene above and see how slowly the fear sets in, the stiff like dialogue, the way the atmosphere doesn't feel right, the background sounds, this is all the build up. One of the best things is the fact that it all happens in broad daylight. A lot of horrors think the scene has to be super dark to be scary but that's not true.

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Native of the NYC, getting fed in the Big D!
Overuse of cgi and jumpscares ruin horror. So many movies think having a LOUD NOISE is scary but being startled by a LOUD NOISE isn't the same as being scared or creeped out. A LOUD NOISE is not the same as being scared and I've seen so many horror films that the LOUD NOISES just make me go :hmm: now. It's a cheap way to get a reaction out of the audience. But that reaction isn't fear or terror, it's being startled. Because of course something loud will startle you.

Good writing, characters, practical effects, atmosphere >>>>> overuse of cgi and jumpscares.

Jumpscares don't have a lasting effect. It happens and you're like "Wow that was loud" and it's over. Good writing, creepy atmosphere, mystery, etc can have you thinking about what you saw (or didn't see) long after the movie is actually over. That type of stuff stays in your mind because you remember how creeped out you got or the idea of a concept having so many horrifying possibilities.

Note: Some jumpscares can be effective but you need the build up to actually make the payoff worthwhile. Think of the build up as a joke and jumpscare as the punchline. David Lynch does this well. Here's a scene from Muholland Drive.

He knows how to do the dream like atmosphere and creepy/uneasy feeling well in general. Watch the scene above and see how slowly the fear sets in, the stiff like dialogue, the way the atmosphere doesn't feel right, the background sounds, this is all the build up. One of the best things is the fact that it all happens in broad daylight. A lot of horrors think the scene has to be super dark to be scary but that's not true.

David Lynch doesn't get enough love for his sense of atmosphere in this category.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Watched The Ritual on Netflix, started off great but like most horror films these days has a complete tonal shift near the end with a shytty CGI monster that completely takes you out of it.
I’m getting ready to watch that now ... I go in all current horror movies with low expectations. Starting off pretty decent tho like u said

imp7

Pro
Daps
Cause it’s the same plot over and over...people doing something they’re not supposed to do or just being unlucky and being terrorized by a demon/ghost. Jump scares, unnecessary gore, and a dumb ending is the formula. I’ve noticed “found footage” is a big sub genre too and it’s corny after the first few movies.
Horror is my most watched genre. my fav more recent movies are Drag Me to Hell and The Conjuring 2. Conjuring 2 scared me when I saw it in the theatre. The effects and build up to the plot were great.

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
Insidious, The Fourth Kind & the Paranormal Activity series... :whew:

The Conjuoring... :camby:

Cabin In The Woods... :heh:

Studios put Horror Films out so much because they don't really cost anything & usually always make x3 etc times their budgets so they are like guaranteed moneymakers whose profits are used to fund bigger films...