Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
shyt I be watching scary movies hoping a monster get my ass. like these bills nikka! kill me now ghost!

But I watched the wailing the other day I was sort of spooked.

But at a certain age you stop being scared. But I do enjoy watching horror movies still.

:russ:... I dead think the same way too sometimes . Like I would have been one of the first ones killed off top , just accept my fate. No begging for my life bc the killer gives 0 fux .

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
It's the genre that has fallen off the worst to me over the years
Only explanation is because now i'm not a dumb kid anymore

Ghpstface

Kanye West fan
Daps
Reppin
Ice Cream Castle
Overuse of cgi and jumpscares ruin horror. So many movies think having a LOUD NOISE is scary but being startled by a LOUD NOISE isn't the same as being scared or creeped out. A LOUD NOISE is not the same as being scared and I've seen so many horror films that the LOUD NOISES just make me go :hmm: now. It's a cheap way to get a reaction out of the audience. But that reaction isn't fear or terror, it's being startled. Because of course something loud will startle you.

Good writing, characters, practical effects, atmosphere >>>>> overuse of cgi and jumpscares.

Jumpscares don't have a lasting effect. It happens and you're like "Wow that was loud" and it's over. Good writing, creepy atmosphere, mystery, etc can have you thinking about what you saw (or didn't see) long after the movie is actually over. That type of stuff stays in your mind because you remember how creeped out you got or the idea of a concept having so many horrifying possibilities.

Note: Some jumpscares can be effective but you need the build up to actually make the payoff worthwhile. Think of the build up as a joke and jumpscare as the punchline. David Lynch does this well. Here's a scene from Muholland Drive.

He knows how to do the dream like atmosphere and creepy/uneasy feeling well in general. Watch the scene above and see how slowly the fear sets in, the stiff like dialogue, the way the atmosphere doesn't feel right, the background sounds, this is all the build up. One of the best things is the fact that it all happens in broad daylight. A lot of horrors think the scene has to be super dark to be scary but that's not true.

I've gotten to the point where I can predict a jumpscare just by listening to the score...the score always crescendos leading up to it

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
this is a sleeper also, this was pretty damn good

51NPJ7WYSTL._SY445_.jpg

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Nicole0416 said:
The Shining was way overrated imo. I don't know if it was a generational thing or not, but that was boring af, the exorcist wasn't that great either- had shock moments. Rosemary's baby was just weird af. Guess during that era their idea of scary was just different.

This is gonna sound like a cliché but read the book. I'm telling you, the book was WAAAAAAAYYYYYY better than the movie simply because stuff happened in it that could not be put on the big screen. The same is true for Dreamcatcher, Misery, It, Christine, Firestarter, Cujo, and pretty much every Stephen King book ever made into a movie. The reason The Shining is a great movie is due to the psychological feeling of foreboding that Kubrick managed to translate into the movie that had people on the edge of their seats.....one of the greatest things about horror movies that has been lost, IMO.

BTW, if you wanna know what happened to Danny, read this......

177721_web_doctor_sleep_cover.jpg

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
I still watch them even though I haven't been scared of a movie since I was like 13. It's more of an enthusiast thing to see how they go about getting across the story and the scares. I'm in it for the fukkery a lot of the time like those 80s and 90s horror movies. Those are fun to run back.

There's some shyt I won't watch again like that movie Martyrs. Try having a conversation after watching that brehs. shyt left me looking at the screen like :dwillhuh: