Who popularized Jesus pieces in Hip Hop and what exactly is it suppose to mean?

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
I ended up wearing just Stainless Steel jewelry cause i get rashes from Sterling Silver and also from Gold Filled pieces.
Gold Filled supposed to be an alternative to solid gold but it gave me rashes and irritation on my skin just like real silver gives me rashes.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
latin kings, possibly.
this. it's a latin thing. i always assumed rappers saw it and copied it, since most african americans are baptists or some other form of protestant faith, and therefore not supposed to wear depictions of jesus. only catholics do that.

Entrapta310

:umad?:
Daps
this. it's a latin thing. i always assumed rappers saw it and copied it, since most african americans are baptists or some other form of protestant faith, and therefore not supposed to wear depictions of jesus. only catholics do that.

unless big pun was wearing one and popularized it in hip hop/rap, u cant count latinos with doing it. :yeshrug:

Entrapta310

:umad?:
Daps
hence me saying rappers seeing latins do it in the street, then copying it.
i assumed you were agreeing with @GetInTheTruck when he said latin kings popularized it in hip hop.

maybe we should change the word to inspired jesus pieces in hip hop frm popularized it in hip hop. :ohhh:

Brooklynzson

Just a kid from Brooklyn
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Coli
wait? who's tito?

A jeweler or something?
Tito Caciedo a jeweler in NY in the Diamond district, his spot is called Manny's of New York on W. 47th St. He was the OG jeweler in NYC before Jacob.

"took my frito to tito in the district, blessed me w/ some VS something i could live with"
"Hitting fanny, spending chips at Manny's"

Tito's jesus piece is the OG jesus piece. The Jacob one is 2nd to it, probably the most popular jesus pc mold (i like his mold better than Titos :manny:). The Tito & Jacob molds gets copied a lot by jewelers. The IF & CO/ Ben Baller piece/mold is one of the best (or closest to the jacob mold) molds out right now, they pieces are A1...

A lot of ppl say Ghost got his piece from Tito first, then Big got his then everybody else after... But i would say BIG the one who made it popular in Hip Hop cause after he copped, damn near everybody on Bad Boy had one, Jr Mafia, Puff, D-roc etc. Then Hov got his...list goes on. When i think of Ghost and jewelry, i think wonder woman bracelet or them big plate chains. Big = jesus pieces, Coogis & Versace shades.

He did both of Big's pc's

tumblr_mmobtyJ48y1qkyavko1_400.png

He did Mase & Cease's Pieces

Did Ghost piece
ghostface-killah-og-tito-jesus-piece-raekwon.jpg

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
yeah, but if you look at the pics you can clearly see Big's piece is different than Ghostface's piece.
Also a different bail.

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
Yeah but Big is of Caribbean descent though so it's not the same. We are the same people but the descendants of US slavery and people from the Caribbean are different in many ways. I think most from the US are protestant and most from the islands are Catholic. I think Biggie did go to Catholic school though and may have been Catholic. But what about Ghostface? Why would he rock it if he's into Islam and 5% stuff. That's what I mean by not knowing what it means. It's got to be more than just a religious thing imo. idk

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Heck outta here!
tumblr_n29ss06rzW1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

Breh I was in the streets back then and your facts are backwards. Black people always wore crosses. To answer the question it was Biggie who brought attention to it. Black people always wore crosses with Jesus on them, where do you get this idea from? Doesn't matter, you're dead wrong.

Last edited: