Who popularized Jesus pieces in Hip Hop and what exactly is it suppose to mean?

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Alpo and rich porter, specifically Rich was the first dude in the hood with the Jesus piece

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Heck outta here!
tumblr_n29ss06rzW1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

Breh I was in the streets back then and your facts are backwards. Black people always wore crosses. To answer the question it was Biggie who brought attention to it. Black people always wore crosses with Jesus on them, where do you get this idea from? Doesn't matter, you're dead wrong.

Mexicans been wearing crosses and the virgin mary piece since zoot suiters came out.

smoove157

Never Ever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
thought this was gonna be a joke thread about Prodigy at first. Dude is the forrest gump of hip hop.

according to him, he started every trend and fad every in hop hop, and was around for every big moment.

said he was the one who started rocking pieces on chains and everyone else jacked his style. P is a funny dude man

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah but Big is of Caribbean descent though so it's not the same. We are the same people but the descendants of US slavery and people from the Caribbean are different in many ways. I think most from the US are protestant and most from the islands are Catholic. I think Biggie did go to Catholic school though and may have been Catholic. But what about Ghostface? Why would he rock it if he's into Islam and 5% stuff. That's what I mean by not knowing what it means. It's got to be more than just a religious thing imo. idk
Biggie was of Jamaican descent, they are protestant, since the island was colonized by the english. Him going to a catholic school probably had nothing to do with his faith. Rappers alias emulated ballers, so I think the Jesus piece probably originated with latin drug dealers.
Heck outta here!
tumblr_n29ss06rzW1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

Breh I was in the streets back then and your facts are backwards. Black people always wore crosses. To answer the question it was Biggie who brought attention to it. Black people always wore crosses with Jesus on them, where do you get this idea from? Doesn't matter, you're dead wrong.
A cross is not a depiction of Jesus. Protestants wear crosses without jesus on it, if it has Jesus on it, it's catholic. Protestants most definately don't wear Jesus head around their neck. And if they do it's not for religious reasons, because doing so is against their religion.

SHAQAVELLI

We Are Penn State
Daps
Reppin
PA
Speaking of Pistol-Packin' P ...

prodigy.jpg

I think this was taken around the time HNIC was being recorded. If I remember correctly, this photo was in the booklet inside. Could be wrong.

@ReallyReal

504 Soulja
Daps
Reppin
7th Ward Mind Frame
correct me if im wrong.......but Jesus pieces have always been popular amongst blacks......
what Big was had one re-sized.......... the huge Jesus head was Biggie thing.....
but once he died it became a tribute piece or a homage piece if u ask me.....
buts it all nonsense that so much of this board lack common hip hop knowledge

Like yall fukktard really didn't know Pac was the reason for the Larry Holmes shyt......
like are u guys serious......making all these Larry Holmes flat top pics and never had a idea it was Pac

CAC-Alert is what I smell........maybe even trolling.........but man yall so lost when it comes to this hip hop shyt....

I understand most of yall are maybe teenagers......but damn when a poster give yall correct info
yall dumb ass still cant understand how its possible......like this bullshyt ass thread about a fukkin Jesus piece
how the fukk yall didn't kno Big popularized the shyt........

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
Biggie was of Jamaican descent, they are protestant, since the island was colonized by the english. Him going to a catholic school probably had nothing to do with his faith. Rappers alias emulated ballers, so I think the Jesus piece probably originated with latin drug dealers.

A cross is not a depiction of Jesus. Protestants wear crosses without jesus on it, if it has Jesus on it, it's catholic. Protestants most definately don't wear Jesus head around their neck. And if they do it's not for religious reasons, because doing so is against their religion.
You have some good points but I think crosses and jesus pieces are moreso catholic than protestant. That image of Jesus definitely came from Catholicism.

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
correct me if im wrong.......but Jesus pieces have always been popular amongst blacks......
what Big was had one re-sized.......... the huge Jesus head was Biggie thing.....
but once he died it became a tribute piece or a homage piece if u ask me.....
buts it all nonsense that so much of this board lack common hip hop knowledge

Like yall fukktard really didn't know Pac was the reason for the Larry Holmes shyt......
like are u guys serious......making all these Larry Holmes flat top pics and never had a idea it was Pac

CAC-Alert is what I smell........maybe even trolling.........but man yall so lost when it comes to this hip hop shyt....

I understand most of yall are maybe teenagers......but damn when a poster give yall correct info
yall dumb ass still cant understand how its possible......like this bullshyt ass thread about a fukkin Jesus piece
how the fukk yall didn't kno Big popularized the shyt........
You're doing the same dumb ish that hustlemania is doing. Number one, so what if someone isn't knowledgeable about hip hop? This is a hip hop board where we have discussions to learn, so either answer the question or go away. Number two you haven't answered the other aspect of the thread as to the meaning so since you know so much please explain why rappers who don't claim to even believe in jesus rock it. Also if this was biggie lyrics or something I could see someone feeling some type of way but we are talking about a stupid piece of jewely or god sakes. It's not a big deal if someone doesn't know the history of it. This aint jeopardy.

All this black people always wore jesus peices is dumb as hell. Yeah back in africa we was rockin' jesus pecies yeah sure. FOH

Daps
there should be a Coli hip-hop encyclopedia for y'all.. :snoop:

the term can be given to Big.. of course.. but, he didn't make the piece popular.. people been rockin em..

that's why he did.. simple mathematics..

you good..? :ld:

Ya, this question is weird as fukk to me...it's like asking who made dominoes popular