Who Is The New Denzel? Hollywood Struggles To Launch Next Black Stars

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
It's not just black men; it's minorities in general. Hollywood cinema is shooting themselves in the foot by refusing to turn minorities into stars and refusing to do mainstream movies with interracial couples at the forefront. Hollywood can't make money off a Jennifer Lawrence-Michael B Jordan rom-com?

:ohlawd: I would be ALL-IN for that!

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Truthfully theres no Brad Pitt or Tom Cruises on the comeup either. The Concept of the A lister is pretty much dead. The problem is that the only movies that make money (comic books) have mostly white characters as the source materials and when they try to switch it up (human torch) we see how they react :ld:. Then when you're dealing with indie/artsy movies those have traditionally always been white outside a couple supporting roles maybe. Hood movies are extinct so that basically leaves historical dramas/biopics as the only lane for black actors :to:. Its a shytty situation all around.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Idria elba is clearly the only viable successor to the denzel throne. unfortunantly due to his age he wouldnt be able to hold the title too long.. and thats if he get a big breakout blockbuster leading role in the few years (ie 007).

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Or find a new generation of black actors in the indie circuit to have the balls and creativity to make a film like that.

This.

I feel like Indie films should be the training ground for actors and directors in general. In terms of Black Indie Films though, a lot of thought seems to go into the trappings of the character rather than the script. Empire is this on a grand scale. The show looks the part on an aesthetic level, but the scripts are :mjlol:.

Give me a Black indie flick with the scale and budget of say 'Clerks', that is just good dialogue over a pretty film where the story barrels over the finishing line in flames.

Last edited:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Truthfully theres no Brad Pitt or Tom Cruises on the comeup either. The Concept of the A lister is pretty much dead. The problem is that the only movies that make money (comic books) have mostly white characters as the source materials and when they try to switch it up (human torch) we see how they react :ld:. Then when you're dealing with indie/artsy movies those have traditionally always been white outside a couple supporting roles maybe. Hood movies are extinct so that basically leaves historical dramas/biopics as the only lane for black actors :to:. Its a shytty situation all around.
@MartyMcFly @FlyRy @kp404 @LastManStanding @Ari Gold Bawse @StraxStrax this man (might) speak the truth. Hollywood has stuggeled to develop new stars

~~~~
We have Michael B Jordan and Kevin Hart. I think Jennifer lawrence can get it done, but we'll see post hunger games.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
@MartyMcFly @FlyRy @kp404 @LastManStanding @Ari Gold Bawse @StraxStrax this man (might) speak the truth. Hollywood has stuggeled to develop new stars

~~~~
We have Michael B Jordan and Kevin Hart. I think Jennifer lawrence can get it done, but we'll see post hunger games.
Jennifer Lawrence is now an A-list superstar and Leo is still one as well, but he doesn't do blockbusters anymore. On the come up is Oscar Isaac and if this "Get Hard" film makes money, you can count Kevin Hart as A List as well since his movies make so much bank.

Will Ferrell used to be A List but he lost steam

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

~~~~

Lawrence is a star breh..and its not hollywood creating new stars, it's us. It's hard to create stars now when usually the only movies to make huge bank are the ones that take a huge bank to finance. Movies, much like music, is operating on a different level now than it was 20 or 30 years ago. The term "star" always needs to be adjusted for the time its in due to context and there's just too much competition and too many ways to access people to truly be as a big of a star as Tom Cruise was back in the day. When we have something called "YouTube stars" doesn't that sort of speak to the world we're in right now?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Jennifer Lawrence is now an A-list superstar and Leo is still one as well, but he doesn't do blockbusters anymore. On the come up is Oscar Isaac and if this "Get Hard" film makes money, you can count Kevin Hart as A List as well since his movies make so much bank.

Will Ferrell used to be A List but he lost steam

i'm so sick of hart.. has anyone ever been THIS overxposed in all aspects?

from social media to movies to commercials to half time shows etc

i laughed out loud when NPH said he'd been in 256 movies this year at the oscars

women seem to like him though