Who Is The New Denzel? Hollywood Struggles To Launch Next Black Stars

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
sell a flick off their name? Sandra bullock, Russell Crowe, George Clooney to name a few, whether it does numbers is a toss up but they are stars nonetheless

Russell Crowe and George Clooney do not sell movies based on their name. Noah was a mild block buster hit... and mostly because it's based around a Bible story. Crowe has had a string of flops that have had his name on them. George Clooney is a star but he's not as big nor as popular with the public as Hollywood tends to think he is... his last movie had him (The Monuments Men) and a bunch of other actors in it and it flopped, his movies don't really gross huge numbers in general either...

There are very few actual movie stars left that sell movies just based on them being in the movie these days... Of the actors you mentioned Sandra Bullock is the one that's a movie star,.... but also Denzel is one of them, Leonardo DiCaprio is another one... and I'm pretty sure I missed a small few other names but are for the most part true movie stars. Foks that sell movies with their names being on it.

But like someone else already mentioned in here... these days what makes a movie star is the movie they're in. Robert Downy Jr, Jennifer Lawrence, Shailleene Woodley, Bradley Cooper, etc... are movie stars these days based on their movies success. I don't know if folks are watching their movies because they are in it... but the movies they are in are hugely successful for the most part.

The expectations for successful black actors are apparently much higher than those of white actors according to Hollywood execs... the Sony email leaks proved that.

Last edited:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked Fruitvale Station, but Spike had 40 acres and a mule and a partnerships to release heat consistently. Coogler doesn't have that pull.

Honestly (and at the same time, sadly) the closest thing we have is Tyler Perry. Unfortunately, he's such a shyt film maker. I really wish he would sit back and play rainmaker to a guy or guys like Coogler.

Creed and now black panther :ehh:

jackson35

Banned
Daps
hollywood is getting ready for brokeback mountain type cinema, that's why u do not see the new denzil

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Most black male actors lately have been British or Rappers. The tables are stacked against a new Denzel since so many arts programs are being cut.

If we're talking Black American trained actors I can only think of Michael B. and Chadwick.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
Stop trying to make Michael B Jordan happen, he aint happening. Y'all gonna learn this the hard way when he ruins that Black Panther movie completely.

Don't say I didn't try to warn y'all :shaq2: