Who Had The Better Peak? MC Hammer Or Nelly?

THROWDOWN TUESDAYS: TOP 100 YEARS - SPECIAL EDITION

• MC HAMMER

• NELLY

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zak Bible

Banned
Daps
Nelly but only cuz he had cats like Hammer to pave the way. Hammer with the endorsements, merch, and crossover appeal got a lot of hate in the late 80's/early 90's, but by the 00's every rapper that had the opportunity followed that blueprint. Nelly benefitted from not having that pop success be a hindrance, it actually was a badge of honor that allowed him to sustain a run much longer than I expected from him.

Old head here,

Hammer did have a cartoon

:francis:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
was paying nikkas 40K a year with no dance experience,just to save they lives:wow:

i came across this video a while back

Hammer was like a father figure to his dancers,and really tried to keep em outta trouble.i expected a story where Hammer tried to fukk but nope. Just didnt like them dancing for other nikkas,said he got mad when she danced in Sir Mix a Lot video:pachaha:

:whoo: she the one in the pink swimsuit

Nelly and Hammer got some things in common,two nikkas from violent ass cities,whos music dont reflect it. blew up like crazy,but they end up getting that soft label in hiphop which nikkas I'm sure quickly found out it wasnt what they thought it was:mjlol:.

imagine if Hammer succesfully put that hit on third base and went to jail after Hammer Dont Hurt Em,he'd be a icon:martin:,but as just a nice guy who made chicken commercials,and wack videos with Adams family,he's seen as a villian in hiphop.

Yeah I'm just wrapping my head around this some more.

Sure nelly can hang with him on tour and album sales but In one year he made what alex Rodriguez made in his whole career off endorsements

:Jbaby:

Hammer is running away with this one :francis:

He had some of my older cousins wanting them shiny shoes.

:francis:

Lowkey he also might be the first west coast rapper that east coast rappers were gunning for. :lolbron:

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
View media item 12439How is this up for debate.

Nelly made better music, dropped more hits, more respected by his peers, & legacy has aged better than hammer.

read the question- who had the better peak? not who had more hits or whose music aged better. And the answer is clearly Hammer. Take Hammers highest point vs Nellys and it's not close

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
was Prince even in that tier of popularity:patrice:?i just never hear about Prince being a thing like that,i remember Bobby Brown,hear about how huge Whitney was and witnessed some of that,i know about Michael,remember Hammer. even from watching old videos I can see where all these acts were that nikka at they peaks:wow:.....i know i seen a video where MJ and Prince are on stage together,Mike embarrrases em,Prince comes to the stage throws a glove into the crowd and it gets thrown back at em:mjlol:

Fair point. Prince was probably a level lower in terms of popularity and his music wasn't "family" friendly. He was still huge from 84-87, and won tons of awards, but MJ clearly outshined him from a fanbase standpoint.

Bobby never was on that level as far a megastar. He was too "urban" for some crowds. Now Whitney was on that same tier in terms of sales and fans, although I don't know if she was "must see tv" like Hammer and MJ was.

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
It's always funny to read revisionist history. Hammer's impact is sorely understated. He was a pioneer, who received hate for his vision. Endorsing products in hip-hop was seen as selling out in that era. His music made the world smaller in hip-hop smaller with its reach across the globe. Nelly and others benefits from Hammer, paving the way, to benefit from the first to do it, how is your impact bigger when you are standing on his shoulders?

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
First let me give respect to Nelly. Great run but did he really have an impact? what trends did he actually start? And he didn't start the air force ones trend. air force ones were already in style. I'f im wrong, please correct me.

Hammer made it cool to dance again. Brought baggy pants in style. Own cartoon. Own doll. People still do the Mc Hammer aka now called the running man.

this

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
was paying nikkas 40K a year with no dance experience,just to save they lives:wow:

i came across this video a while back

Hammer was like a father figure to his dancers,and really tried to keep em outta trouble.i expected a story where Hammer tried to fukk but nope. Just didnt like them dancing for other nikkas,said he got mad when she danced in Sir Mix a Lot video:pachaha:

:whoo: she the one in the pink swimsuit

Nelly and Hammer got some things in common,two nikkas from violent ass cities,whos music dont reflect it. blew up like crazy,but they end up getting that soft label in hiphop which nikkas I'm sure quickly found out it wasnt what they thought it was:mjlol:.

imagine if Hammer succesfully put that hit on third base and went to jail after Hammer Dont Hurt Em,he'd be a icon:martin:,but as just a nice guy who made chicken commercials,and wack videos with Adams family,he's seen as a villian in hiphop.

Repped

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
was Prince even in that tier of popularity:patrice:?i just never hear about Prince being a thing like that

9d1e37914b558bb7f01c73489fbdfb4f.gif

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

real shyt,I remember nikkas aint even fukk with Prince like that,he was seen as a weirdo and a fakkit:mjlol:....I dont remember nikkas claiming Prince until i got older,seems like he became a real icon once all the real icons died or faded out in the last 10 years.....i didnt feel like he had the juice like the other people i mentioned.

Prince mustve missed my demographic all together,nikkas wasnt tryna listen to a dude in high heels with his ass out:scust:

edit-and dont get me wrong i know he had a movie so he mustve been big,but he either fell off by the time i was old enough to notice,or like i say he missed my demographic.

Last edited:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
How many many album cycles did Hammer have on top?

Nelly had 2 albums where he was super hot

The 1st album was good, the second album was trash but had hits

Nelly put the Midwest on

I wanna say Hammer but I'm not well versed in his run aside from the huge singles