Who Had The Better Peak? MC Hammer Or Nelly?

THROWDOWN TUESDAYS: TOP 100 YEARS - SPECIAL EDITION

• MC HAMMER

• NELLY

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
i thought reviled was a good thing til i googled:martin:,i was thinking about revered,which is what Hammer was when he first came out:pachaha:

Hammer was so loved by all,that it could easily look like he was hated by all,he was just that famous....maybe somebody older can tell me if I'm wrong,but is Hammer or is Hammer not the closest thing to Michael Jackson we will ever witness? I was too young to witness Mike Thriller run,matter of fact i wasnt alive yet. But i know how big he still was even after that. And far as i know,only Hammer has ever come close to what Michael did.

Hammer videos was prime time events,i remember watching the 2 Legit 2 Quit video in prime time and the whole family standing around watching,then nikkas trying to get the 2 Legit 2 Quit handsign down that night,and into the next day:laff:....obviously there was some haters in attendance:martin:

But Hammer had a cartoon breh:mindblown:, i was born in 86 and its 2017 now,somebody remind me of a time when they saw anything like Hammer and I'll concede If im wrong:hubie:

one thing i know is it damn sure wasnt Nelly.

just stop and think for a second,Michael had the moonwalk and the lean,Hammer had the running man,the typewriter and the 2 Legit 2 Quit handsign:wow:...if irrc he had 2 of those in the same night:banderas:

Thank you.

I was there, and yes Hammer is the closest we've had to Mike's status among AA artists.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
nelly actually had some people rockin band-aids on their face. and had some rockin the backwards jerseys again.

wasn't kid n play out before hammer?

Danny Glover,The Fonz,Tony Danza,New Edition,Eazy E all in the same video,this was a 10 minute video that got shown on prime time television folks,where he throws shots at Michael Jackson:mindlown:

and did i mention James Brown is in the video dancing and talkin bout "bring me back the glove".....to be allowed to get on tv and diss Michael as a artist at the time,Nelly couldnt have done it....and James Brown aint hopping in no damn Nelly video to side against Michael Jackson off the popularity of Hot In Here:laff:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
People were clowning him during his peak breh. What are you talking about? How old are you, first off? He lost respect off the KFC commercial....he lost respect for shamelessly crossing over....he lost respect off "Addam's Groove"....people fukked with him up until "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em"....after that he was considered a clown.

Fred.

You're confusing his peak with the backlash he received once he hit his peak.

Only one way to go after that.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Looking at the commercial success....it's not as far off as people are making it. "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em" went diamond....so did "Country Grammer"...."2 Legit 2 Quit" went 3x plat....so did "Suit"....really if you factor in all their albums they are about equal. If you factor in singles Nelly wins.

in fairness, I think nelly benefited from coming out in a much more lenient era.

Definitely, which confuses things even more because as big as Hammer was his singles weren't as big due to rap fans accepting Nelly more.

Fred.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
People were clowning him during his peak breh. What are you talking about? How old are you, first off? He lost respect off the KFC commercial....he lost respect for shamelessly crossing over....he lost respect off "Addam's Groove"....people fukked with him up until "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em"....after that he was considered a clown.

Fred.

Never knew he had a KFC commercial. Hammer appeared in major marketing campaigns for companies such as Pepsi, KFC, Toshiba and Taco Bell to the point that he was criticized as a "sellout".[7][246] Hammer also did commercials for British Knights during the height of his career. The shoe company signed him to a $138 million deal

Sell out or not .That's some serious money for a rapper. Nelly ain't seeing this.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
:yeshrug: I'm going with Hammer. I was an impressionable young nukka at the time and Hammer was on the same level as MJ, dude had a gat damn cartoon. The only other act close to him at the time was kidd an play.

I also agree with everyone else that he didn't have the same sales as Nelly, but honestly that wasn't Hammers lane. Breh was in it for the endorsements and events. Want side on a robin leech joint too?

Nelly came thru at a completely different climate too.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You're confusing his peak with the backlash he received once he hit his peak.

Only one way to go after that.

The dude I quoted said "he lost respect after his career fell off and starting trying to be hard hanging with Suge Knight"....which is 100% false. Everything I mentioned was while Hammer was still going multi-plat. The vast majority of it was right in the middle of "2 Legit 2 Quit".

Never knew he had a KFC commercial. Hammer appeared in major marketing campaigns for companies such as Pepsi, KFC, Toshiba and Taco Bell to the point that he was criticized as a "sellout".[7][246] Hammer also did commercials for British Knights during the height of his career. The shoe company signed him to a $138 million deal

Sell out or not .That's some serious money for a rapper. Nelly ain't seeing this.

Back in 1992 it wasn't "sell out or not". He was clowned by everyone from rappers to comedians to In Living Color. In retrospect it's easy to say "oh well, he made a lot of money" but that is not how it was received in real time. I was 16 in 1992, everything you're applauding him for, including the KFC commercial, he was getting clowned for.

He got clowned so hard for the KFC commercial he was still defending himself years afterwards:

Fred.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Fred.

how many people even knew Hammer before please Hammer dont hurt em which was his peak:comeon:?he couldnt have been considered a clown before the album that made him a superstar known to everyone....people fukked with Nelly on the first album,until he got so big he became one of the main faces and most popular artist in all of hiphop,which was the same case with Hammer,except Hammer was undeniably the face of hiphop and most popular.

and no disrespect but i dont remember Hammer getting that much hate,til black folks realized how much your people really loved em:mjlol:....just to be clear hex grew up around black people,so dont take his statements as though he speaks for the white community folks:whoa:

black people loved Hammer so much,then white people started to love hammer so much we had to turn on em,plus he did become a clown which made it easy:mjcry:....NElly was never loved by black people as much Hammer was,nor was he ever as loved by white people as much.....Nelly not being as hated doesnt prove anything in this argument. Hammer was more famous so was hated by more people,openly ridiculed because there was so much hate you knew you werent alone if you jumped out to hate:mjlol:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
how many people even knew Hammer before please Hammer dont hurt em which was his peak:comeon:?he couldnt have been considered a clown before the album that made him a superstar known to everyone....people fukked with Nelly on the first album,until he got so big he became one of the main faces and most popular artist in all of hiphop,which was the same case with Hammer,except Hammer was undeniably the face of hiphop and most popular.

and no disrespect but i dont remember Hammer getting that much hate,til black folks realized how much your people really loved em:mjlol:....just to be clear hex grew up around black people,so dont take his statements as though he speaks for the white community folks:whoa:

black people loved Hammer so much,then white people started to love hammer so much we had to turn on em,plus he did become a clown which made it easy:mjcry:....NElly was never loved by black people as much Hammer was,nor was he ever as loved by white people as much.....Nelly not being as hated doesnt prove anything in this argument. Hammer was more famous so was hated by more people,openly ridiculed because there was so much hate you knew you werent alone if you jumped out to hate:mjlol:

The conversation is getting confusing because you got people claiming Hammer didn't get dissed until he fell off.

Let me tell you what I remember. I know you're familiar with KC so I'll get specific. I was at Central Middle down on Linwood when Hammer first came out. Crip neighborhood, because Bloods and Crips had been in KC since the mid 80's. Central was around 95% black. So you couldn't ask for a more core audience, in terms of how a rapper was received.

People loved Hammer. He was idolized. Then "2 Legit 2 Quit" came out. I don't remember exactly when that album came out....I was at Paseo on both 19th and Summit and 47th and Flora, and Westport on 39th during highschool....that whole Hammer era basically....the KFC shyt....the Addam's family shyt....the action figures....the cartoon....by the time I was in high school rap fans were basically :camby: towards Hammer. Not just rap fans, everyone from In Living Color to Paul Mooney were clowning the shyt out of him. Back then it wasn't cool to be that big, as weird as it sounds.

Fred.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The dude I quoted said "he lost respect after his career fell off and starting trying to be hard hanging with Suge Knight"....which is 100% false. Everything I mentioned was while Hammer was still going multi-plat. The vast majority of it was right in the middle of "2 Legit 2 Quit".

Back in 1992 it wasn't "sell out or not". He was clowned by everyone from rappers to comedians to In Living Color. In retrospect it's easy to say "oh well, he made a lot of money" but that is not how it was received in real time. I was 16 in 1992, everything you're applauding him for, including the KFC commercial, he was getting clowned for.

He got clowned so hard for the KFC commercial he was still defending himself years afterwards:

Fred.

this was all after Hammer Dont Hurt Em which was his peak though,2 Legit 2 Quit album was when the tide turned em as he was jumping the shark by then in everybodys eyes. I dont know at what point during that promo run it happened,cuz i liked 2 legit 2 quit,but even i turned on him at some point during that album run:mjlol:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
this was all after Hammer Dont Hurt Em which was his peak though,2 Legit 2 Quit album was when the tide turned em as he was jumping the shark by then in everybodys eyes. I dont know at what point during that promo run it happened,cuz i liked 2 legit 2 quit,but even i turned on him at some point during that album run:mjlol:

Read my post above this one, I cleared up what I meant.

Fred.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps

Yeah, 2 Legit 2 Quit was the beginning of the end.

His run up to and during that point is damn near unprecedented in music as far as commercially and worldwide popularity.

The backlash is why we got "Pumps in a Bump" a few years later.

He never recovered.