Who Had The Better Peak? MC Hammer Or Nelly?

THROWDOWN TUESDAYS: TOP 100 YEARS - SPECIAL EDITION

• MC HAMMER

• NELLY

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
:snoop:

That's all fine and well but peak could mean artistically. Peak could mean strictly record sales. Peak could mean a lot of things.

If we're talking solely financial success or sales, Hammer wins. But even then, he had little to no respect, and was openly ridiculed by half of rap. Nelly didn't hit those same peaks career-wise, but he sold a fukk ton and still got respect as a rapper. Or at the very least, he didn't get openly disrespected. So artistically, he peaked higher than Hammer.

Fred.

Ridiculed by half of rap, little to no respect?? We aren't talking overrall career. we're talking about how had the better PEAK. and trust me, nobody was making fun of hammer's peak. He lost respect after his career fell off and starting trying to be hard hanging with Suge Knight.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
First let me give respect to Nelly. Great run but did he really have an impact? what trends did he actually start? And he didn't start the air force ones trend. air force ones were already in style. I'f im wrong, please correct me.

Hammer made it cool to dance again. Brought baggy pants in style. Own cartoon. Own doll. People still do the Mc Hammer aka now called the running man.

nelly actually had some people rockin band-aids on their face. and had some rockin the backwards jerseys again.

wasn't kid n play out before hammer?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yeah but the definition of peak wasn't really described in the OP. If we're talking strictly sales, it was Hammer. If we're talking over all, it was Nelly. KRS aside, Nelly never had the people turn against him like Hammer did.

Fred.

in fairness, I think nelly benefited from coming out in a much more lenient era.

Tim2520

Staying Alive
Daps
Reppin
Nyc
:patrice: I'm in my early thirties so Nelly was a big part of my teenage years and I only remember a hammer for being a bozo

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
Nelly because he followed up with another mega selling album, if im not mistaken, hammer flopped after the cant touch this album... what hammer did with cant touch this is iconic tho ... the dancing , the pants, the catchphrase all iconic

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Ridiculed by half of rap, little to no respect?? We aren't talking overrall career. we're talking about how had the better PEAK. and trust me, nobody was making fun of hammer's peak. He lost respect after his career fell off and starting trying to be hard hanging with Suge Knight.

hammer was getting nelly-level hate up here since the 1st album.

but when "you cant touch this" came out, that's when all hell broke loose.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Uh too legit to quit was huge. What chu talking bout

yea, it was huge but it sold less than half of what "please hammer don't hurt em" sold. I think he went from diamond to triple platinum or somethin.

nellyville sold about the same as country grammar.

hammer should get more credit for that 1st album tho. going double platinum in '88, and I don't think his machine was all that big. and he wasn't so poppy either.

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
Looking at the stats, hammer never even had a #1 record in the us :ohhh:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

People were clowning him during his peak breh. What are you talking about? How old are you, first off? He lost respect off the KFC commercial....he lost respect for shamelessly crossing over....he lost respect off "Addam's Groove"....people fukked with him up until "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em"....after that he was considered a clown.

Fred.