Who Had The Better Peak? MC Hammer Or Nelly?

THROWDOWN TUESDAYS: TOP 100 YEARS - SPECIAL EDITION

• MC HAMMER

• NELLY

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, 2 Legit 2 Quit was the beginning of the end.

His run up to and during that point is damn near unprecedented in music as far as commercially and worldwide popularity.

The backlash is why we got "Pumps in a Bump" a few years later.

He never recovered.

Ok we're on the same page then.

See, this is why I said we need to establish a time line.

Fred.

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
its been cool for a while now to pretend you and everyone you loved hated Hammer at the time though....so i think too many folks have been irreversably brainwashed and have blocked out the era where them and they whole family was Hammer stans:francis:
very true, my mom and older female family members played nothing but Hammer and Keith Sweat when I was young...hell, Hammer was the first hip hop artist I heard as a kid

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I said Hammer had the highest peak ive ever seen from any artist in any genre since I've been living,maybe those boy bands were bigger but black people didnt care about them so i didnt really feel it,but knew a artist like Britney Spears was huge....50 may have been close and it can be argued,but not Nelly....Eminem too but thats not fair.

I will admit he also had the shortest peak i ever witness from any artist,it didnt seem like a gradual abandoning of Hammer,its like in one year he just became a joke who it was cool for everybody to trash,and just like that it was all over.....usually you have some fans still fighting the good fight,but even as kids we realized okay,this nikka corny now,get em outta here:camby:...I denied Hammer like Peter did Jesus in that 2 Legit era,more than 3 times:mjcry:.

and it says he went 5 times platinum with 2 Legit 2 quit,probaly couldve did 10 again if he hadnt became embarrasing.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
its been cool for a while now to pretend you and everyone you loved hated Hammer at the time though....so i think too many folks have been irreversably brainwashed and have blocked out the era where them and they whole family was Hammer stans:francis:

Exactly.

The whole world was tuned in for this performance.

And these wasn't Grammy provided dancers, he was paying the salary of everybody on that stage with him. :wow:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Even though he isn't relevant anymore, Nelly in his prime was fire. Dude could actually RAP rap too, not just radio songs.When i first saw this freestyle i had to :ohhh::banderas:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
Is this a question? Hammer was the number one music artist at his peak (1990-1991). MJ was between albums, and Prince had declined in popularity.

Nelly had to contend with Eminem, Jay-Z, Britney Spears, J-Lo, NSync, Backstreet Boys, etc. He was in the mix, but never clearly on top.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Ok we're on the same page then.

See, this is why I said we need to establish a time line.

Fred.

:salute:

I'm just going off their highest peak.

That's what I took the thread for initially.

Looking at the thread title again, "better peak" is very subjective.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
What artist has a 138 MIllion shoe deal? Now I"m heated Hammer went broke. No excuse for this man.

With inflation That's equivalent to 270 million in today's dollars

MC hammer you son of a bytch

:wow:
:Soulglo2:
:Wowdreds:

No wonder he was able to pay his neighborhood/backup dancers 6 figures

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
With inflation That's equivalent to 270 million in today's dollars

MC hammer you son of a bytch

:wow:
:Soulglo2:
:Wowdreds:

No wonder he was able to pay his neighborhood/backup dancers 6 figures

was paying nikkas 40K a year with no dance experience,just to save they lives:wow:

i came across this video a while back

Hammer was like a father figure to his dancers,and really tried to keep em outta trouble.i expected a story where Hammer tried to fukk but nope. Just didnt like them dancing for other nikkas,said he got mad when she danced in Sir Mix a Lot video:pachaha:

:whoo: she the one in the pink swimsuit

Nelly and Hammer got some things in common,two nikkas from violent ass cities,whos music dont reflect it. blew up like crazy,but they end up getting that soft label in hiphop which nikkas I'm sure quickly found out it wasnt what they thought it was:mjlol:.

imagine if Hammer succesfully put that hit on third base and went to jail after Hammer Dont Hurt Em,he'd be a icon:martin:,but as just a nice guy who made chicken commercials,and wack videos with Adams family,he's seen as a villian in hiphop.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is this a question? Hammer was the number one music artist at his peak (1990-1991). MJ was between albums, and Prince had declined in popularity.

Nelly had to contend with Eminem, Jay-Z, Britney Spears, J-Lo, NSync, Backstreet Boys, etc. He was in the mix, but never clearly on top.

was Prince even in that tier of popularity:patrice:?i just never hear about Prince being a thing like that,i remember Bobby Brown,hear about how huge Whitney was and witnessed some of that,i know about Michael,remember Hammer. even from watching old videos I can see where all these acts were that nikka at they peaks:wow:.....i know i seen a video where MJ and Prince are on stage together,Mike embarrrases em,Prince comes to the stage throws a glove into the crowd and it gets thrown back at em:mjlol: