Who Else Thinks Kanye West Is only like 5 years away from being the GOAT producer?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kanye is far overrated as a producer and I'm a fan. He's a Top 10 Hip Hop producer, but he has a long way to go to reach the echelon of an elite music producer overall. You have guys like Rick Rubin, The Neptunes, Timbaland and Dre (to a lesser extent) who can go beyond producing Hip Hop acts.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kanye is far overrated as a producer and I'm a fan. He's a Top 10 Hip Hop producer, but he has a long way to go to reach the echelon of an elite music producer overall. You have guys like Rick Rubin, The Neptunes, Timbaland and Dre (to a lesser extent) who can go beyond producing Hip Hop acts.

Kanye is one of the greatest hip hop producers ever b. Dude has the best ear for music maybe ever.

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
As far as boundaries? I would say as far as fashion and art in general, the concepts of high fashion couture and blending it with hip-hop. I mean for a rap dude to be collaborating with Ricardo Tisci and basically singlehandedly responsible for ushering in this new high fashion x hip-hop craze,

This is crazy. High fashion and hip hop has been apart of the culture since forever. What fashion styles do you think he ushered in in particular?

you have to give it to Kanye. He's the only reason ANY of these rappers are wearing Givenchy and wearing these bizarro styles, although I'm sure his stylist is a big part of it, regardless, he's helped make an impact. He has certainly helped add a certain class and mystique to a genre that always lacked it. To be honest, most of his shyt is just showy, but regardless, it's fresh and true avant garde shyt in a genre that is a victim of doing the same shyt over and over. I feel the certain sounds and looks he's given the genre he had a big part in helping usher in, not necessarily because he thought of it first, but because he was one of the first big names to give it a shot.

This is asinine. nikkas be wearin Givenchy and dressing crazy since the 80s and 90s man. As far as fashion in hip hop, Ye hasn't innovated in any way. He rode the wave but he didn't create it.

I'm just saying I don't think the genre has ever had a artist that was beloved by so many socio-economic tiers as far as music. Perhaps I'm a victim of the moment, but I just see something very powerful socially, visually, and musically with his music. He's like the perfect balance of street, hollywood, and luxury. He has the right balance of social conciousness and the right balance of braggadocio. I'm not even a huge HIP-HOP fan of him, but I recognize his undeniable influence on the genre in terms of aesthetics and the fans he's garnering. I'm just explaining why he is so beloved and admired by such a wide variety of people. I just think he's a good ear for talent and chemistry. Like he is the only type of dude I would imagine seeing a Kid Cudi x Elton John track, he's the only dude I could imagine coming out on stage in a blouse and in turn having a hundred other lame copy-cat nikkas ACTUALLY rocking blouses like it's fly. He just knows how to bring talent together and make it work. Like the whole Jesus Walks things with Rhymefest, or any of the other countless songs he's had written for him, he knows how to make it work. I'm not praising his talent, I'm praising his eye and ability to seek and bring talent together to make the "bigger picture" concept "fit" if that makes sense.

:snoop: You can't be serious, can you? Run DMC? Jigga? Pac? Biggie? DMX? Eminem? :leon:

One thing he did make hat tI think should get more praise than his music, is that 32 minute Runaway video he put out. That was some real creative shyt for a hip hop artist to do, that has REALLY never been done before. As far as getting artists together to make music... that shyt ain't noteworthy at all. Everyone on this board could give suggestions of dope artists that should collab, that doesn't make them musical geniuses or mean they're "breaking boundaries"

I think ya'll are too caught up in his persona and not judging the music subjectively. His musical talents aren't as great as ya'll making them out to be

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Add Hit-Boy, SymbolicOne and the dude who produced Mercy to that too.

now that I think about it, Ye hasnt produced any of the hot songs he's been on this year.

Has he made any beats this year?

Kanye has one of the best "ears" hip-hop has ever had. Take any project RZA, Pete Rock, Mike Dean, Jeff Bhasker, Bink!,No ID even, from the last 10 years that don't include Kanye and MBDTF has better overall production than all of them.

This guy's takes everything to that next level. DIAND is the best Bink beat in years, Kanye got his producers/musicians to take it to that next level with the live instrumentation.

Nobody can shyt on Kanye for using other producers, unlike Timbo/Dre he hasn't fallen in a slump when a protege has stopped working with him (Storch, Danja). When the quality is so consistent over a such long period you must give props.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps

Last edited by a moderator:

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is crazy. High fashion and hip hop has been apart of the culture since forever. What fashion styles do you think he ushered in in particular?

This is asinine. nikkas be wearin Givenchy and dressing crazy since the 80s and 90s man. As far as fashion in hip hop, Ye hasn't innovated in any way. He rode the wave but he didn't create it.

:snoop: You can't be serious, can you? Run DMC? Jigga? Pac? Biggie? DMX? Eminem? :leon:

One thing I will say he did make I think should get more praise than his music is that 32 minute Runaway video he put out. That was some real creative shyt for a hip hop artist to do, that has REALLY never been done before. As far as getting artists together to make music... that shyt ain't noteworthy at all. Everyone on this board could give suggestions of dope artists that should collab, that doesn't make them musical geniuses or mean they're "breaking boundaries"

I think ya'll are too caught up in his persona and not judging the music subjectively. His musical talents aren't as great as ya'll making them out to be

Of course "luxury" shyt has always been apart of hip-hop. I'm talking about the current look and trend of high fashion couture. I don't think you understand the difference, but whatever it's not that important. I'm just saying as far as setting CURRENT trends it is Kanye as far as styles for lot of these lame follower nikkas. Also you're missing key points. I have already noted that he neither created nor was the FIRST period to do it, but I'm saying with someone with the level of promotion and exposure he has? He's the first nikka doing it. Where was Givenchy being worn by every lame unoriginal cac or lame nikka being reposted on EVERY single fashion or blog in general? The brand has seen an undeniable resurgence recently thanks in large part to Kanye west/his stylists/personal buyers. To answer your last point I NEVER said he was incredibly talented indivudally. That was the whole point of my post and you completely missed it. You're either not grasping the greater concept I'm touching on you're woefully ignorant. I never called him a genius and I personally hate how easily the word is thrown around , but to say he's just doing what any person on the board could do as far as bringing together talent is just silly nonsense. The Runaway video is another great example, even though a lot of it is just showy bullshyt, it's still something fresh.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
I totally read the first post as sad/ironic until I realized the OP was being sincere

breh five years after those tracks he'd totally lost his way

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Rick Rubin I give you but Timbo & Neptunes are more pop/RnB producers. They both get their break producing/writing for RnB cats like Devante Swing (Da Gawd). Whilst Kanye got his break under No ID & D-Dot, you know that Eastcoast hip-hop sound.

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
If you watched the Tribe documentary you would know it was Q-TIP that produced everything... He was just trying to be on his humble shyt

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
Where was Givenchy being worn by every lame unoriginal cac or lame nikka being reposted on EVERY single fashion or blog in general? The brand has seen an undeniable resurgence recently thanks in large part to Kanye west/his stylists/personal buyers.

But I'm not seeing this great surge of Givenchy wearers :yeshrug:

I wouldn't even name Givenchy as a brand that Kanye headed. He put way more stock into LV

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But I'm not seeing this great surge of Givenchy wearers :yeshrug:

I wouldn't even name Givenchy as a brand that Kanye headed. He put way more stock into LV

Like I said, you're ignorant to it fam. Where are you from? Also, If you're not up on blogs and a lot of the social networks you may not notice it. I see it all the time. I never claimed he headed it or anything like that, LV for a time saw a similar surge in popularity. I'm big into fashion and clothing and shyt and anybody that keeps up with it, at least in this realm, knows the popularity of Givenchy all of a sudden. You got suburban cacs and every cornball nikka rocking waxed denim and Rottweiler tees again. I wouldn't doubt you indeed are just not seeing it. It's not that big of a deal though fam tbh. :ld:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
If somebody wants to know what impact or contribution Kanye has made for hiphop, or what he's done in general that makes him so great... you gotta look at where hip-hop was before Kanye debuted. Everything had become limited for the most part. As a producer/artist, I think dude knocked down a lot of the limits that were being put on artists. You either had to appeal to one set of topics/image and be successful or appeal to another set of topics/image and NOT be successful. Damn near nobody else was standing in the middle of that and making it work. Not too many people in hip-hop were putting together projects and presenting them as cohesive albums anymore (by that point)...damn near everybody was following a specific format of album-making (street joint, club joint, introspective joint, ladies joint, etc.) Nobody was (or is still) putting as much into live performances and presentation as he does... nikkas were very content goin' on stage with 20 hypemen and leavin' it at that.

As a producer, none of us are in the studio to say what he does/doesn't do... so I don't see where any of us can say "ah, he doesn't do anything but tell other people what to do" or "he has ghost producers". But when it comes to what comes out with his name on it, dude doesn't have a record of just throwin' out anything thrown-together. I would say that listening to how his songs come out makes him just as great a producer as anyone else eligible to be called the greatest. The way they're arranged, the way that even the ones with samples are elevated to be much more than just a sample and drums, and how he stretches the boundaries of song format- IMO it goes a long way. He's definitely doing more than damn near every producer currently out there, and even some of the past who haven't made any creative strides in years (as much as I love 'em, let's be real- some of the greats been livin' off their past for over a decade).

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Lol at the "Kanye ears" bullshyt. If his ears are so great, why are his albums aging so poorly?

NOT ONE CLASSIC ALBUM. Chew on that.