Who Else Thinks Kanye West Is only like 5 years away from being the GOAT producer?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rick Rubin I give you but Timbo & Neptunes are more pop/RnB producers. They both get their break producing/writing for RnB cats like Devante Swing (Da Gawd). Whilst Kanye got his break under No ID & D-Dot, you know that Eastcoast hip-hop sound.

How exactly are Timbo and The Neptunes Pop/R&B producers? Tim's big break didn't come under Devante. Even so, Pac's "Pain" is one of the first productions to be released that Tim worked on w/ Devante. Most of the stuff pre-Aaliyah was ATCQ inspired productions Surrounded By Idiots (Larry Live, Timbaland, Pharrell & Magoo)

Kanye didn't get his break under No ID and D-Dot, Kanye's first break came under Jermaine. If I'm not mistaken, this was the first track released w/ Kanye's name on it as a producer:

Does that make Kanye an R&B producer considering that at the time JD was mostly known for his work w/ Usher, Mariah, Monica, and Xscape since you did label Tim an R&B producer b/c he came up under Devante.

By the way, The Neptunes were under studies of Teddy Riley, not Devante.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
and I don't see where the fact that rappers now thinks they are top models makes any good to hip hop. Now a rapper can be mediocre but as long as he's rocking mad pieces and he got swag (hate that word) he gets praises. Kanye west is not the soul producer we used to praise from blueprint to be. He's now a gimmick who makes a fool oh himself.

The worst thing is he's so convinced that he is a genuis that he will try ridiculous or different but useless tricks in his music and try to pass that as a genuis, abstract idea, by pitchfork and all those hipsters crowd. A true genius in hip hop can get success, but never get praises by the general media. Before Kanye was a great producer, now his personna has outshined his producing skills, but he's not a great rapper either. Let's say that the man lost his way. You can see that he was desesparate to have the mc kinda shine and that's what killed him. He was better when he was making shine the others

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and I don't see where the fact that rappers now thinks they are top models makes any good to hip hop. Now a rapper can be mediocre but as long as he's rocking mad pieces and he got swag (hate that word) he gets praises. Kanye west is not the soul producer we used to praise from blueprint to be. He's now a gimmick who makes a fool oh himself.

The worst thing is he's so convinced that he is a genuis that he will try ridiculous or different but useless tricks in his music and try to pass that as a genuis, abstract idea, by pitchfork and all those hipsters crowd. A true genius in hip hop can get success, but never get praises by the general media. Before Kanye was a great producer, now his personna has outshined his producing skills, but he's not a great rapper either. Let's say that the man lost his way. You can see that he was desesparate to have the mc kinda shine and that's what killed him. He was better when he was making shine the others

This I agree with.

IMO, Kanye's ambition overshadows the quality of the music. The execution suffers because it. Kanye is a great artist with incredible vision, but his earlier stuff came off more natural. Now, a lot of it is smoke and mirrors for the sake of "looking" genius rather than achieving it.

Akademiks

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kanye hasn't attempted to "make a beat" since Graduation . . .

He's "added elements" and re-arranged beats .. and brought in orchestras & opera singers to play over samples but he hasn't been a "hip hop beat maker" in years.

in the definition of "producer" he fits right in. Top 10 status for sure. Top 5 coming after next classic album he's involved in heavy I believe.

top 20 Beatmaker .......

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
you gotta look at where hip-hop was before Kanye debuted. Everything had become limited for the most part. As a producer/artist, I think dude knocked down a lot of the limits that were being put on artists. You either had to appeal to one set of topics/image and be successful or appeal to another set of topics/image and NOT be successful. Damn near nobody else was standing in the middle of that and making it work. Not too many people in hip-hop were putting together projects and presenting them as cohesive albums anymore (by that point)...damn near everybody was following a specific format of album-making (street joint, club joint, introspective joint, ladies joint, etc.) Nobody was (or is still) putting as much into live performances and presentation as he does... nikkas were very content goin' on stage with 20 hypemen and leavin' it at that.

this is all bullshyt

Now Kanye changed the performance game and the way you make an album? :dead: His personality got nikkas bamboozled

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
this is all bullshyt

Now Kanye changed the performance game and the way you make an album? :dead: His personality got nikkas bamboozled

I would say in comparison to where rappers were at THAT TIME when he came out, yeah. You gonna tell me (if you've ever seen his stageshow) that that's something rappers in 2003 were doin'? I might not have worded that the right way... I didn't mean look at hip-hop's entire history before Kanye debuted. I meant hip-hop as it stood at that time right before Kanye debuted. There weren't alot of people taking risks musically/aesthetically at all. The most successful artists were the safest ones, who didn't color too far outside the lines of subject matter or image... he definitely broke thru what was happening at that time.

I said it and I still say it... he may not have been the first to make a cohesive album with a theme, or been the first to put detail into stuff like his videos and performances... but in an era where artists were more concerned with their jewelry than the way their music was presented, he definitely was (and still is) something different in that aspect.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps

This post sounds like someone who got fukked in the ass by Kanye after Kanye had just fukked his father in the ass and stabbed his mother in the face.

Of course people don't praise him to be a soulful producer since he doesn't make soulful beats. Just like People didn't praise Dr. Dre for being a G-Funk producer in 99. But he got more praise than ever in 2011 for MBDTF. You say "pitchfork", neglecting the fact that XXL, Source, Hiphop DX and those other cats gave him 5 mics as well.

fukk his persona, Kanye's ego was huge during LR, during mbdtf and wtt he has been the most toned down he's been in his career probably.

You dudes want a dude to sit in the basement and listen to old school classics and flip them forever? When even before that his ambitions was to be a rapper and designer. But couldn't cause cats thought the music he was producing for CD was weak and wouldn't sell, jay-z included. Want his old music, buy his old albums cause there is a million mou fukkers out there that want to hear what he's doing next based on how good his last album was.

Also how is he making a fool of himself? By running up on Taylor Swift? Back in 05 he ran up on Justice and said he had Pamela Anderson in the video so he should've won.

Lil Bape the PostGod

Can’t talk to broke boys
Daps
Reppin
Sound sound sound
This post sounds like someone who got fukked in the ass by Kanye after Kanye had just fukked his father in the ass and stabbed his mother in the face.

Of course people don't praise him to be a soulful producer since he doesn't make soulful beats. Just like People didn't praise Dr. Dre for being a G-Funk producer in 99. But he got more praise than ever in 2011 for MBDTF. You say "pitchfork", neglecting the fact that XXL, Source, Hiphop DX and those other cats gave him 5 mics as well.

fukk his persona, Kanye's ego was huge during LR, during mbdtf and wtt he has been the most toned down he's been in his career probably.

You dudes want a dude to sit in the basement and listen to old school classics and flip them forever? When even before that his ambitions was to be a rapper and designer. But couldn't cause cats thought the music he was producing for CD was weak and wouldn't sell, jay-z included.

b-b-but he cant play a guitar, he cant be considered a goat producer

DigitalDopeman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, Fl
does kanye even fully produce anymore tho? i thought all he did was take a beat from some young producer he work wit and arrange the beat or add a few different sounds of his own.

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
I would say in comparison to where rappers were at THAT TIME when he came out, yeah. You gonna tell me (if you've ever seen his stageshow) that that's something rappers in 2003 were doin'? I might not have worded that the right way... I didn't mean look at hip-hop's entire history before Kanye debuted. I meant hip-hop as it stood at that time right before Kanye debuted. There weren't alot of people taking risks musically/aesthetically at all. The most successful artists were the safest ones, who didn't color too far outside the lines of subject matter or image... he definitely broke thru what was happening at that time.

I said it and I still say it... he may not have been the first to make a cohesive album with a theme, or been the first to put detail into stuff like his videos and performances... but in an era where artists were more concerned with their jewelry than the way their music was presented, he definitely was (and still is) something different in that aspect.

Kanye was never really a conscious rapper like ya'll make him out to be, though. Maybe on College Dropout and a bit on LR but by Graduation he was rapping about the same shyt everyone else was. He never really had any edgy songs to me :yeshrug: Maybe ya'll can refresh my memory on what songs he was putting out that was different from everyone else

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
does kanye even fully produce anymore tho? i thought all he did was take a beat from some young producer he work wit and arrange the beat or add a few different sounds of his own.

How do you know this? like where are you getting this from?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
How exactly are Timbo and The Neptunes Pop/R&B producers? Tim's big break didn't come under Devante. Even so, Pac's "Pain" is one of the first productions to be released that Tim worked on w/ Devante. Most of the stuff pre-Aaliyah was ATCQ inspired productions Surrounded By Idiots (Larry Live, Timbaland, Pharrell & Magoo)

Kanye didn't get his break under No ID and D-Dot, Kanye's first break came under Jermaine. If I'm not mistaken, this was the first track released w/ Kanye's name on it as a producer:

Jermaine Dupri feat Nas - Turn it out (High Quality) - YouTube

Does that make Kanye an R&B producer considering that at the time JD was mostly known for his work w/ Usher, Mariah, Monica, and Xscape since you did label Tim an R&B producer b/c he came up under Devante.

By the way, The Neptunes were under studies of Teddy Riley, not Devante.

I have this actual CD and have never really even listened to it :ohmy:

This track is weak as hell from a production standpoint.