Who Else Thinks Kanye West Is only like 5 years away from being the GOAT producer?

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
the ALBUM CREDITS :laff:

check it.... your world bout to be destroyed :jawalrus:

how i knowou fukks aernt even real YE fans... you obviuosly didnt BUY the ALBUMS :usure:

You right breh Idont buy albums. I also knew Kanye wasnt the sole musician/composer/producer or whatever on his work really since CD but ya'll making out like he's id this or something. I know he reworked HAM and also did shyt with Hitboy and S1, but again Kanye has never hid this not to the extent of nikkas other favorite prodeucers *cough*Dre,Timbo*cough*

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
As far as boundaries? I would say as far as fashion and art in general, the concepts of high fashion couture and blending it with hip-hop. I mean for a rap dude to be collaborating with Ricardo Tisci and basically singlehandedly responsible for ushering in this new high fashion x hip-hop craze, you have to give it to Kanye. He's the only reason ANY of these rappers are wearing Givenchy and wearing these bizarro styles, although I'm sure his stylist is a big part of it, regardless, he's helped make an impact. He has certainly helped add a certain class and mystique to a genre that always lacked it. To be honest, most of his shyt is just showy, but regardless, it's fresh and true avant garde shyt in a genre that is a victim of doing the same shyt over and over. I feel the certain sounds and looks he's given the genre he had a big part in helping usher in, not necessarily because he thought of it first, but because he was one of the first big names to give it a shot.

I'm just saying I don't think the genre has ever had a artist that was beloved by so many socio-economic tiers as far as music. Perhaps I'm a victim of the moment, but I just see something very powerful socially, visually, and musically with his music. He's like the perfect balance of street, hollywood, and luxury. He has the right balance of social conciousness and the right balance of braggadocio. I'm not even a huge HIP-HOP fan of him, but I recognize his undeniable influence on the genre in terms of aesthetics and the fans he's garnering. I'm just explaining why he is so beloved and admired by such a wide variety of people. I just think he's a good ear for talent and chemistry. Like he is the only type of dude I would imagine seeing a Kid Cudi x Elton John track, he's the only dude I could imagine coming out on stage in a blouse and in turn having a hundred other lame copy-cat nikkas ACTUALLY rocking blouses like it's fly. He just knows how to bring talent together and make it work. Like the whole Jesus Walks things with Rhymefest, or any of the other countless songs he's had written for him, he knows how to make it work. I'm not praising his talent, I'm praising his eye and ability to seek and bring talent together to make the "bigger picture" concept "fit" if that makes sense.

Didn't know Kanye's publicist posted here? :mjpls:

PHamm

Superstar
Daps
West is turning in to Dre but he still the head of the snake when he does a track.

West writes his own rhymes unlike Dre atleast.

Dre's best beats also shyt on Kanye's. What an embarrassing thread.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You right breh Idont buy albums. I also knew Kanye wasnt the sole musician/composer/producer or whatever on his work really since CD but ya'll making out like he's id this or something. I know he reworked HAM and also did shyt with Hitboy and S1, but again Kanye has never hid this not to the extent of nikkas other favorite prodeucers *cough*Dre,Timbo*cough*

Dre never hid the fact that he used co-producers. In fact, he made it quite obvious that Mel-Man co-produced the entire 2001 album. You don't even have to purchase the album to know that b/c it says on the back in big letters: Produced by Dr. Dre & Mel-Man. The inside credits reveal that Lord Finesse produced "The Message" as well as the various guys that played instruments. Mark Batson, Dewaun Parker, Glove, Mike Elizondo, and Scott Storch have gotten credit over the years.

With Timbo, there's credits that break down who did what on tracks. Credits include who played keys, bass, drums, strings, and who arranged what.

^^^ They've never hidden the fact that they've used co-producers. People who don't cop the albums either just credit work solely to them or just assume that they have "ghost producers". The whole "ghost producer" talk is ignorant within itself b/c people know who Danja, Nisan Stewart, Craig Brockman, and Walter Milsap are. The same as people know who Mark Batson, Dewaun Parker, Glove, Mike Elizondo, and Scott Storch are.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Dre never hid the fact that he used co-producers. In fact, he made it quite obvious that Mel-Man co-produced the entire 2001 album. You don't even have to purchase the album to know that b/c it says on the back in big letters: Produced by Dr. Dre & Mel-Man. The inside credits reveal that Lord Finesse produced "The Message" as well as the various guys that played instruments. Mark Batson, Dewaun Parker, Glove, Mike Elizondo, and Scott Storch have gotten credit over the years.

With Timbo, there's credits that break down who did what on tracks. Credits include who played keys, bass, drums, strings, and who arranged what.

^^^ They've never hidden the fact that they've used co-producers. People who don't cop the albums either just credit work solely to them or just assume that they have "ghost producers". The whole "ghost producer" talk is ignorant within itself b/c people know who Danja, Nisan Stewart, Craig Brockman, and Walter Milsap are. The same as people know who Mark Batson, Dewaun Parker, Glove, Mike Elizondo, and Scott Storch are.

You got me my nikka I was speaking out of my ass :pachaha:. I should also make it clear that I see nothing wrong with producers getting "help", co producers, musicians, etc, I really am baffled at what these nikkas is arguing to be honest. On one hand we complain about hiphop not being artistic and nikkas making the same trap beats over and over and then now its nikkas aint as great producers as they say they are cause they cant read this note, or dont know what a bflat is...You just cant please anybody. I for one could careless what the hell Kanye produced. All I know is the music that he's came out with that has had his name attached to it some manner has been great music, so as long as he keeps doing that, Im satisfied.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
How exactly are Timbo and The Neptunes Pop/R&B producers? Tim's big break didn't come under Devante. Even so, Pac's "Pain" is one of the first productions to be released that Tim worked on w/ Devante. Most of the stuff pre-Aaliyah was ATCQ inspired productions Surrounded By Idiots (Larry Live, Timbaland, Pharrell & Magoo)

Kanye didn't get his break under No ID and D-Dot, Kanye's first break came under Jermaine. If I'm not mistaken, this was the first track released w/ Kanye's name on it as a producer:

Jermaine Dupri feat Nas - Turn it out (High Quality) - YouTube

Does that make Kanye an R&B producer considering that at the time JD was mostly known for his work w/ Usher, Mariah, Monica, and Xscape since you did label Tim an R&B producer b/c he came up under Devante.

By the way, The Neptunes were under studies of Teddy Riley, not Devante.

Yes it did. He did a lot of ghost production for Devante, just listen to Devante's production during that era, Timbo's handprints are on them. Furthermore, what are the 3 albums that broke Timbo as a star? One In a Million - Aaliyah, The Bachelor - Ginuwine, Supa Dupa Fly - Missy. None of those are typical hip-hop albums.

Kanye learnt how to make beats under No ID, this is a fact. Listen to Last Call, he credits D. Dot for his break with GHOST PRODUCTION e.g. he didn't get credit. His early production credits include Goodie Mob, Beanie Sigel & Grav.

Neptunes worked with SWV, Total, Tara Hicks & a poppy Mase single before their first big hip-hop beat. Their first album produced with more than a couple songs with any success was Kelis debut.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
ye,..lacks the bottom and innovation sonically.

he will never surpass pioneers firmly in front of him.

not to mention,..he still does not produce better than triple6 mafia.

whom everyone, generally in rap lifts.

or produces exactly like now in a major label context.

art barr

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
He's top 5, when all the old nikkas with personal attachments get to old to have opinions on hiphop , that's when we'll have fair ratings of Kanye. Most cats are personally attached to what was hot during either their youth or the first peak in the genre they fukks with.

And LBH, kanye is the most hated producer in the game, probably ever cause he balls too fukking hard. And a lot of times these old noggas can't understand him and instead of asking they just hate. However passing his own idols Rza and Dre will be hard.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
What is his own unique sound? People tried to give him credit for the soul loop/sped up samples that RZA had already fathered years ago... But since then it's been hard for me to figure out what beats Kanye actually does himself...

Dre, Pharell, Timbaland, RZA, Primo and Pete Rock all have a sound where when you here a song you know who it is within a few seconds...

I like his earlier beats a lot but they were never original.. And lately I don't even know what he's been doing..

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Kanye is not top 5, and is not seeing top 5 anytime soon.

Kanye hasnt even passed Pharell. And Pharell not even Top 5.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
What is his own unique sound? People tried to give him credit for the soul loop/sped up samples that RZA had already fathered years ago... But since then it's been hard for me to figure out what beats Kanye actually does himself...

Dre, Pharell, Timbaland, RZA, Primo and Pete Rock all have a sound where when you here a song you know who it is within a few seconds...

I like his earlier beats a lot but they were never original.. And lately I don't even know what he's been doing..

He took the vocal sample thing to the next level and made it soulful. RZA's stuff was hard and murky, Kanye's where soulful and more pop.

He brought that lo-fi minimalist sound to hip-hop with 808's.

He brought the album game back up. The sonic cohesion of every album is perfect. Then he brings the visuals too it, album art, stage performance, single art that build on it. Every Ye album is like an "era".