Who Else Thinks Kanye West Is only like 5 years away from being the GOAT producer?

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
:snoop:

tip produced everything on their first 2 albums. go do ya research and stop making dumb ass threads like this

Ye isn't even top 10

and you telling me to do my homework?

Q-tip co-produced with Ali being the centerpiece of their production.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
you are clueless.
Why are you mad googler? It was some interesting, I never looked into it, I would never suspect that rappers, "righteous semi-religious "rappers would lie like that.
But it was a righteous lie. I still wonder why not say that the group produced every single track, instead of saying that Phife wasn't on some, Muhammad wasn't on some etc. I also wonder why he created a production trio "The ummah" with a non-producer.

I didn't think Phife had any significant meaning to the production, but I definitely though Ali Muhammad played a role.

Congratulation, you should have an award.

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
Why are you mad googler? It was some interesting, I never looked into it, I would never suspect that rappers, "righteous semi-religious "rappers would lie like that.
But it was a righteous lie. I still wonder why not say that the group produced every single track, instead of saying that Phife wasn't on some, Muhammad wasn't on some etc. I also wonder why he created a production trio "The ummah" with a non-producer.

I didn't think Phife had any significant meaning to the production, but I definitely though Ali Muhammad played a role.

Congratulation, you should have an award.

nikka you rambling

you was wrong, just shut the fukk up about shyt you don't know about

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
nikka you rambling

you was wrong, just shut the fukk up about shyt you don't know about
How should I know that I was wrong until someone corrected me?
Tip himself said people didn't know, until he told them.
Congratulations you read the interview before me, I however doubt that you read the liner notes before me.

Be glad that you passed along your information instead of crying like a bytch.

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
About the sampling issue: while it is true that sampling has always been a major part of hip hop, I feel as though Kanye always samples a larger part of the original songs in order to make his tracks sound good. He often samples the vocals to include them in his choruses which is sampling more than just sampling to create a nice beat, it's almost like remixing the original song into a hip hop song.

If you take away the famous samples from his singles, a lot of his material just wouldn't be as hot (Through The Wire, Diamonds Are Forever, Stronger, Jesus Walks, Gold Digger, Otis). I'm not saying it's not a skill, 'cause it is, but I feel it just takes less imagination to take an already famous song, sample it for both the beat AND write your lyrics around the parts of the original chorus. Kanye was a breath of fresh air when he came out, but I think his producing career relies on famous samples even more than the average hip hop producer's.

All of the Kanye beats that I like the most, usually sample the vocals from the original song as well. When it doesn't, I often just don't feel it as much and it sounds like it's trying too much to create a new school/futuristic type of sound (especially on MBDTF and WTT) which to me becomes boring very quickly and ironically sounds dated much quicker than the more traditional hip hop beats. But this will vary from person to person of course, according to taste.

Kanye is nice but in my opininon he's not on the level of DJ Quik, Madlib, RZA, Premier etc.

:yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
the best beats on the last two albums Kanye was affiliated with were produced by Bink and Pete Rock (maybe Swizz Beats/S1 or Rza depending on which way you lean, but the point still stands), respectively.... so no, not even close

no one ever seems to give me a straight answer, so I'll ask again... what was the last AMAZING beat that Kanye produced on his own without the help of Jeff Bhasker, Mike Dean, or No ID?

OGJOHNNY5

Sober Poster
Daps
Reppin
*Sohh ICEY* VA -- 757/804/703
no one ever seems to give me a straight answer, so I'll ask again... what was the last AMAZING beat that Kanye produced on his own without the help of Jeff Bhasker, Mike Dean, or No ID?

Add Hit-Boy, SymbolicOne and the dude who produced Mercy to that too.

now that I think about it, Ye hasnt produced any of the hot songs he's been on this year.

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol, a whole hiphop generation would be over if they couldn't clear samples. And we'd all die if the sun blew up. But that ain't happening anytime soon.

and

Kanye West - All Of The Lights ft. Rihanna, Kid Cudi - YouTube

Begs to differ.

Kanye is growing into more of a producer than a hiphop beat maker.
He assembles different types of musicians, beat makers, expresses his ideas and shyt like that. Instead of just working with his drum machine like back in the days (and Otis).

Exactly. The man probably (and definitely, 100% fact) uses ghostwriters and gets tons of help with his beats and shyt, BUT... as far as a visionary and artist in hip-hop? There is none greater today than him. I'm not even a huge fan of him personally, but there is NOBODY pushin the boundaries in hip-hop that he's pushing. He's not even competing with other hip-hop artists anymore on an artistic or conceptual tier, he's competing with like the legendary, non-hip-hop artists as well. He just knows how to bring concepts together and bring something new to the table EVERY project.

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
There is none greater today than him. I'm not even a huge fan of him personally, but there is NOBODY pushin the boundaries in hip-hop that he's pushing. He's not even competing with other hip-hop artists anymore on an artistic or conceptual tier, he's competing with like the legendary, non-hip-hop artists as well. He just knows how to bring concepts together and bring something new to the table EVERY project.

what boundaries has he pushed in hip hop in particular?

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what boundaries has he pushed in hip hop in particular?

As far as boundaries? I would say as far as fashion and art in general, the concepts of high fashion couture and blending it with hip-hop. I mean for a rap dude to be collaborating with Ricardo Tisci and basically singlehandedly responsible for ushering in this new high fashion x hip-hop craze, you have to give it to Kanye. He's the only reason ANY of these rappers are wearing Givenchy and wearing these bizarro styles, although I'm sure his stylist is a big part of it, regardless, he's helped make an impact. He has certainly helped add a certain class and mystique to a genre that always lacked it. To be honest, most of his shyt is just showy, but regardless, it's fresh and true avant garde shyt in a genre that is a victim of doing the same shyt over and over. I feel the certain sounds and looks he's given the genre he had a big part in helping usher in, not necessarily because he thought of it first, but because he was one of the first big names to give it a shot.

I'm just saying I don't think the genre has ever had a artist that was beloved by so many socio-economic tiers as far as music. Perhaps I'm a victim of the moment, but I just see something very powerful socially, visually, and musically with his music. He's like the perfect balance of street, hollywood, and luxury. He has the right balance of social conciousness and the right balance of braggadocio. I'm not even a huge HIP-HOP fan of him, but I recognize his undeniable influence on the genre in terms of aesthetics and the fans he's garnering. I'm just explaining why he is so beloved and admired by such a wide variety of people. I just think he's a good ear for talent and chemistry. Like he is the only type of dude I would imagine seeing a Kid Cudi x Elton John track, he's the only dude I could imagine coming out on stage in a blouse and in turn having a hundred other lame copy-cat nikkas ACTUALLY rocking blouses like it's fly. He just knows how to bring talent together and make it work. Like the whole Jesus Walks things with Rhymefest, or any of the other countless songs he's had written for him, he knows how to make it work. I'm not praising his talent, I'm praising his eye and ability to seek and bring talent together to make the "bigger picture" concept "fit" if that makes sense.