When Will Rappers Learn That Too Much Social Media Presence Is NOT Good?

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
Maybe its because I'm a little older but when I was young, the great thing about celebs in general was their "mystique". It made the actual music better.

We didn't have 24/7 access to rappers lives so it made the music feel more authentic. This even goes for r&b cats. I expect a certain "maturity" from my r&b stars so I don't wanna hear about Trey Songz going nuts on stage or assaulting a guard. I dont want to hear about Robin Thicke cheating on his wife. It takes away from the music. I honestly can't take Robin singing about love seriously anymore because I know too much about his personal life.

Same with Chris Brown. He's the last person I wanna hear singing about being a gentleman when we all know he's a girl-beating gangbanger in real life.

Of course nobody is perfect and celebs of the past had dirt, BUT I DONT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!!!!!

I see ppl saying they can't rock with Wale because he's a cornball. Same with Joe Budden. This is why I try to stay away from social media and reality shows. I love Budden as a rapper, and that's why I've never seen an episode of him on L&HH. I want all my impressions to come from actual music and not personal life antics. This is why I'm glad my 2 fav rappers eLZhi and Phonte' aren't big like that. Everything I know of them are from the music.

The day I see eLZHi on a reality tv show, lord help me:sadcam:
you think like this coz you are :flabbynsick:. we value quality and low key artists. young fans dont want that. they want a close connection, and steady stream of what their life and brand in doing.

aloof high brow aand elusive social media and branding is a death sentence in today day. your followers is a barometer of how popular/good an artist you are.

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
meh, im rarely on artists social media pages

Not out here needing some air of mystique to artists to like their music, that sounds like some teenage girl shiit

It's not that hard to not really care about these dudes and what they be doing beside making music

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Maybe its because I'm a little older but when I was young, the great thing about celebs in general was their "mystique". It made the actual music better.

We didn't have 24/7 access to rappers lives so it made the music feel more authentic. This even goes for r&b cats. I expect a certain "maturity" from my r&b stars so I don't wanna hear about Trey Songz going nuts on stage or assaulting a guard. I dont want to hear about Robin Thicke cheating on his wife. It takes away from the music. I honestly can't take Robin singing about love seriously anymore because I know too much about his personal life.

Same with Chris Brown. He's the last person I wanna hear singing about being a gentleman when we all know he's a girl-beating gangbanger in real life.

Of course nobody is perfect and celebs of the past had dirt, BUT I DONT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!!!!!

I see ppl saying they can't rock with Wale because he's a cornball. Same with Joe Budden. This is why I try to stay away from social media and reality shows. I love Budden as a rapper, and that's why I've never seen an episode of him on L&HH. I want all my impressions to come from actual music and not personal life antics. This is why I'm glad my 2 fav rappers eLZhi and Phonte' aren't big like that. Everything I know of them are from the music.

I agree 100%

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Im honestly surprised nobody has said DJ Quik. His tweets, and just the shyt he's said online really changed my view of him. Before I rediscovered his music two years ago, I always thought he was this serious, stoic, well put together guy who just stayed in the background and to himself. Boy was I wrong.
What does Quik do on Twitter?

Faneto4

Banned
Daps
it depends on the artist....some artist thrive on social media...while others put their foot in their mouth:yeshrug:

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North

There's a reason why Cole and Kendrick stay away from the social media game and STILL create a frenzy whenever they decide to drop.

Same with Jay Z. Same with Eminem (regardless of how you feel about his music nowadays). Same with Beyonce, Adele, Taylor Swift, all of the top-selling artists. Even Childish Gambino.

The less opportunity you give the world to clown you, the better. Silence is golden. Don't give people ammunition, because they WILL use it on you. People aren't perfect, and the last thing you want to do is to give people a reminder of that.

Notice how all of the fukkery in recent memory all started on or involved social media in some form.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
DMX probably had the most mystique out of anybody back in the day to me. I was legit shook of dude when he came on the scene:merchant:

Now, he's pretty much lost all of it:francis:

9Zf70ML.jpg

i feel u in the whole rappers messing up their images on social media...but x wouldn't be a good example. X getting bad news press and actual interviews of him looking bad was xs downgrade not his social media antics like TheGame.

hu3ypdadon

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not the rappers it's the fans..when will yallstop idolizing musicians and admire the music they make..Fans need to accept these ppl are human like you at the end of the day..lmao ppl be thinkin they gurus or grand masters of somethings..these ppl are just musicians

TAYLONDO SAMSWORTHY

Veteran
Verified
Supporter
Daps
Its only bad if it exposes them as corny. If theyre authentic and it matches with the music then it works

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who has social media negatively affected career wise?

Seems to be like a lot bias are being confirmed in the OP
youre the same person that said oversaturation is fake...well, you see how future finally lost flame and will have to build it all over again.