When Will Rappers Learn That Too Much Social Media Presence Is NOT Good?

thernbroom

Superstar
Daps
Been saying this you think people would have learned from the weeknd. Why they fukk would i buy an artist album if they put their lives up on social media

666 ReVeNGe 666

TROLL IS LIFE
Daps
Maybe its because I'm a little older but when I was young, the great thing about celebs in general was their "mystique". It made the actual music better.

We didn't have 24/7 access to rappers lives so it made the music feel more authentic. This even goes for r&b cats. I expect a certain "maturity" from my r&b stars so I don't wanna hear about Trey Songz going nuts on stage or assaulting a guard. I dont want to hear about Robin Thicke cheating on his wife. It takes away from the music. I honestly can't take Robin singing about love seriously anymore because I know too much about his personal life.

Same with Chris Brown. He's the last person I wanna hear singing about being a gentleman when we all know he's a girl-beating gangbanger in real life.

Of course nobody is perfect and celebs of the past had dirt, BUT I DONT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!!!!!

I see ppl saying they can't rock with Wale because he's a cornball. Same with Joe Budden. This is why I try to stay away from social media and reality shows. I love Budden as a rapper, and that's why I've never seen an episode of him on L&HH. I want all my impressions to come from actual music and not personal life antics. This is why I'm glad my 2 fav rappers eLZhi and Phonte' aren't big like that. Everything I know of them are from the music.

The day I see eLZHi on a reality tv show, lord help me:sadcam:
Yeah that is why I am so glad that Lil Wayne does not postal out on social media or do anything crazy I mean he is crazy either way but at least we don't see it 24/7

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Yeah that is why I am so glad that Lil Wayne does not postal out on social media or do anything crazy I mean he is crazy either way but at least we don't see it 24/7
Yep, I noticed Wayne don't really be "out there" too much. He still has an air of "mystique" about him.

Superstar
Daps
It depends on your branding and what type of artist you're trying to present yourself as

Street rappers aren't fooling anybody and its better if they're more active on social media because image is everything to them

The artsy and the internet types are more likely to stay lowkey and only post their cryptic little tweets/IG pics when necessary

And that elite tier of multi-millionaire rappers probably desire their privacy or can't be bothered with slumming it on Twitter 24/7

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
DMX probably had the most mystique out of anybody back in the day to me. I was legit shook of dude when he came on the scene:merchant:

Now, he's pretty much lost all of it:francis:

9Zf70ML.jpg
Don't get it twisted. X older but he still a street cat who can fukk up 90% of you IT nerds

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
I remember back in the days the closest you could get to knowing rappers or r&b artists personally besides interviews was the fan mail shyt in the back of Word Up or Vibe or Source Mag. Back then rappers/r&b singers were mythical, when you didnt know shyt about them but their music and the interviews they give here and there. Social media is one of the elements of the decline of hip hop culture where alot of these rappers and r&b singers can't help but fiend for attention and in result expose how lame they really are.

Chris Brown
Wale
Joe Budden

These three are the main examples of social media ruining your entire brand. Even Talkb Kweli to an extent..dude stays on twitter forever arguing with racists and black folks about political subjects. Makes him come off as just another cornball who is always arguing while his music is an afterthought.

Social media is the devil. You will never see a elusive mythical soul like Sade using it or on there talking about her personal life or feelings on a political subject. Sade was always known for her mysteriousness which was an additional appeal to her music. Many artists today should take note.

You can stay connected to your fans by giving them music. That's it. You owe them nothing else. Not even a thank you. Because at the end of the day, your downfall is more entertaining than your rise. Alot of these "fans" out here just wanna see you fail. Don't give them a reason to

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Chris Brown
The Game
Wale
Joe Budden
Talib Kweli
Jay Electronica
Soulja Boy
50 Cent

etc
Gotta disagree here breh
shyt helped them if anything
Give it time Budden gonna be eating like Taxstone was with the podcast, not that he don't have money but it gonna go up.
50 Cent made the transition to thisis50.com site and YouTube channel.
His social media brings fukkery which keeps him hot.
Soulja Boy following 50s steps. Very awkwardly but still funny. I can see him maturing and doing something else or become a more dedicated producer.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
It depends on your branding and what type of artist you're trying to present yourself as

Street rappers aren't fooling anybody and its better if they're more active on social media because image is everything to them

The artsy and the internet types are more likely to stay lowkey and only post their cryptic little tweets/IG pics when necessary

And that elite tier of multi-millionaire rappers probably desire their privacy or can't be bothered with slumming it on Twitter 24/7

Really? I think it would be the opposite for legit street dudes. Stay the fukk off social media and let the music do the talking. If you a "tough guy" type rapper, the more people see of you, the more "human" you become. Meaning you lose that "mystique".

Like for instance if a tough guy rapper posts videos of himself laughing, being goofy and playing with his kids at Chuck E. Cheese, that's a hit to his "tough guy" image. I know they're human at the end of the day and there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing with your kids, but I'm just giving an example of what too much access into their personal lives does to observers/fans.

These rappers don't realize it tho.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Gotta disagree here breh
shyt helped them if anything
Give it time Budden gonna be eating like Taxstone was with the podcast, not that he don't have money but it gonna go up.
50 Cent made the transition to thisis50.com site and YouTube channel.
His social media brings fukkery which keeps him hot.
Soulja Boy following 50s steps. Very awkwardly but still funny. I can see him maturing and doing something else or become a more dedicated producer.

Budden became a loser after social media. He's always on there acting like a high school drama queen gossip girl. Regardless if he has a podcast or not. Only reason he's doing the podcast thing is because musically he's washed. So podcast is the new hustle. Never was a fan of artists doing podcasts anyways. Let the commentators be the commentators and the artists stay the artist or the artist eventually upgrade to corporate. Nore is an exception because dude is a better comedian than he is a rapper

50 acts like an attention whore on IG

Soulja Boy is self explanatory