When Will Rappers Learn That Too Much Social Media Presence Is NOT Good?

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Budden became a loser after social media. He's always on there acting like a high school drama queen gossip girl. Regardless if he has a podcast or not. Only reason he's doing the podcast thing is because musically he's washed. So podcast is the new hustle. Never was a fan of artists doing podcasts anyways. Let the commentators be the commentators and the artists stay the artist or the artist eventually upgrade to corporate. Nore is an exception because dude is a better comedian than he is a rapper

50 acts like an attention whore on IG

Soulja Boy is self explanatory
Nah the podcast is the transition from his YouTube thing. That's all your opinion. Objectively their getting their bread up.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Surprised nobody mentioned Lupe

Him too. Even though what he tweets is truth, sometimes you have to know how to hold in your greivances with the world because

1. People are dumb. They don't care. Crackers got them way too mentally imprisoned to wakeup

2. If you want to preach, preah through action. People dont focus on what you say they focus on what you do

Thats why i respect Andre 3000. You can tell dude hates the way the industry is but he never ever voiced it cause he knew it wouldnt get him anywhere. Best way to combat injustices is by action. And silence is golden

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Nah the podcast is the transition from his YouTube thing. That's all your opinion. Objectively their getting their bread up.

Money is a non factor to me. You can be lame and have money. Wish the best for Joe Budden but social media did ruin his image in more ways than one

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
I remember back in the days the closest you could get to knowing rappers or r&b artists personally besides interviews was the fan mail shyt in the back of Word Up or Vibe or Source Mag. Back then rappers/r&b singers were mythical, when you didnt know shyt about them but their music and the interviews they give here and there. Social media is one of the elements of the decline of hip hop culture where alot of these rappers and r&b singers can't help but fiend for attention and in result expose how lame they really are.

Chris Brown
Wale
Joe Budden

These three are the main examples of social media ruining your entire brand. Even Talkb Kweli to an extent..dude stays on twitter forever arguing with racists and black folks about political subjects. Makes him come off as just another cornball who is always arguing while his music is an afterthought.

Social media is the devil. You will never see a elusive mythical soul like Sade using it or on there talking about her personal life or feelings on a political subject. Sade was always known for her mysteriousness which was an additional appeal to her music. Many artists today should take note.

You can stay connected to your fans by giving them music. That's it. You owe them nothing else. Not even a thank you. Because at the end of the day, your downfall is more entertaining than your rise. Alot of these "fans" out here just wanna see you fail. Don't give them a reason to
:wow:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Money is a non factor to me. You can be lame and have money. Wish the best for Joe Budden but social media did ruin his image in more ways than one
The podcast is funny and the new album dope :yeshrug:

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
It depends. If you're actually charismatic and offering value or solid content I don't see the problem with pulling back the curtain a little.

There's some cats that are rich plus bored during the day and it tends to result in them coming off as weirdos and attention whores. Like Game, Meek etc

Plus unfortunately "mystery" = shady to people nowadays. I know there's folks here who don't but by and large tell someone in business you don't have any kind of social media presence and watch them give you the

300g667434.gif

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Chris Brown
The Game
Wale
Joe Budden
Talib Kweli
Jay Electronica
Soulja Boy
50 Cent
etc
How has SM affected any of them?

Chris Brown is still thriving and all the other people were Washed before SM became a thing except for Wale who just ran out of steam

Daps
These celebrities are really just revealing themselves for what they really are. Yes I too miss the mystique, that certain artist kept up. It made them of course more interesting, and their image desirable. But these folks are doing it to themselves, aside from a marketing of course, it seems that apparently the attention they were already receiving just wasn't enough. I still have respect for the ones like Sade, and other celebs who are extremely private, and care enough about their brand and image to be careful of how they present themselves. Older celebrities still largely come from the idea that presentation matters. Back in the day, the only way you knew of celebrities real dirt is if you were in, or knew someone connected to the industry; and of course magazines and their gossip columns.

Daps
Im honestly surprised nobody has said DJ Quik. His tweets, and just the shyt he's said online really changed my view of him. Before I rediscovered his music two years ago, I always thought he was this serious, stoic, well put together guy who just stayed in the background and to himself. Boy was I wrong.