When Did Rappers With Zero Substance & Stories Start Getting Away With It?

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
What was Sir Mix-a-Lot's substance? What was his story? What was Father MC's story? Tone Loc's? Candyman's?

They faded away mad quick, outside Tone Loc.

Artists like Rakim, KRS, and even Public Enemy have a (small) cult following to this day.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Just say you too damn young to know what the fukk yo're talking about

NWA LITERALLY did "fukk The Police" about police brutality.

It's literally the most famous song about police brutality ever in Hip-Hop & you put the leader of NWA on the list?

Ice-T talked about poverty, police brutality, the pitfals of drugs, gangbanging, domestic violence, racism, etc. . .

And Mob Style were never had any popular hits.

Dude, you gotta be 25. :stopitslime:

Where does dude say that? :why:

Um, that's literally the point of the thread, genius.

Why is she rewarded for not having any substance?:comeon:

You think nikkaz that listened to "real music" didn't have any friends or social life?

You think nikkaz that listened to Pac, Ice Cube, Ice-T, & Scarface didn't have a social life?:stopitslime:

nikka, aint nobody got time to make finding music a full-time job:camby:

This is the correct answer

Puffy, Mase, Master P, Cash Money

That whole era is responsible for the bullshyt we have now.

Basically '97-'01 or so

Imagine that

Gen Z females trying to shame grown men from listening to GOAT MCs like Scarface, Tupac, and Nas because they make her "bored" and saying "real shyt" is draining and you are basically an incel with no friends and no social life :heh:

Basically that superficial shyt became the foundation of many airhead females lives and they neglect substance of all kinds.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
For me, you can talk about Drugs & Sex but you need to balance that out with some real life shyt :yeshrug:

Talk about the downs and not just the Ups.

Tell me a story about you or get creative. Tell me about a time you weren't feeling good or you were going through some shyt.

ok I get it. yea I prefer relatable music in general. for whatever reason there is a huge % of hip-hop where the content is basically a commercial for material things.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Do you listen to Danny Brown?

He's had one of the most compelling musical/life journeys of any rapper I follow

NGL I found out about Danny brown on YT. I thought he was a joke. Some1 I know talked me into giving his music a chance.....man whatever album that was; CRAZY

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Imagine that

Gen Z females trying to shame grown men from listening to GOAT MCs like Scarface, Tupac, and Nas because they make her "bored" and saying "real shyt" is draining and you are basically an incel with no friends and no social life :heh:

Basically that superficial shyt became the foundation of many airhead females lives and they neglect substance of all kinds.
I was hoping the Booth would be free of Bimbo shyt like that but this is the coli.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
The 3 Punch Combo That Killed Hip-Hop

D4L's emergence in the mid-2000s marked a turning point in hip-hop, as their hit single "Laffy Taffy" became synonymous with the rise of dance-craze hits. Critics argue that the success of such tracks shifted the focus from lyrical prowess and storytelling to catchy hooks and repetitive, often simplistic, lyrics. This shift, they contend, contributed to the erosion of hip-hop's reputation as a genre built on profound narratives and intricate wordplay.

Soulja Boy's breakout hit "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" not only established him as a viral sensation but also introduced a new era of internet-driven success in hip-hop. While celebrated for his entrepreneurial spirit and self-promotion, Soulja Boy's approach to music creation was criticized for prioritizing quantity over quality. Detractors argue that the advent of easily accessible digital platforms allowed for the proliferation of subpar music, ultimately diluting the standard of excellence that hip-hop had long upheld.

Chief Keef's rise to fame through drill music in the early 2010s sparked debates about the genre's content and its impact on communities. Critics contend that Chief Keef and other drill artists often glamorized violence and street life, perpetuating harmful stereotypes and failing to take responsibility for their influence on impressionable audiences. This perceived lack of accountability, combined with the normalization of explicit and violent themes, fueled accusations that Chief Keef's contributions were detrimental to hip-hop's reputation.

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
Yea when Jay-Z coined that; and then owned dumbing down his lyrics that was a let down.

The 50 vs Kanye album sale battle put the nail in the coffin.
jigga said & did a lot that had bad impact on others

at his dumbest his music is still full of intelligence

jigga may say something & it's just a slick bar but a bunch of folks without the talent intelligence or lifetime working at the craft will follow behind it leaving a mess

even 50 & ye are not the best examples of the problem because they still just by reflex will have some sort of quality control to their work

50 did fall into putting out shyte for shytes sake more than the others though

nikkas that don't write have no musical knowledge & only look at what they are doing as a way to get money is how you end up with microwave music

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
jigga said & did a lot that had bad impact on others

at his dumbest his music is still full of intelligence

jigga may say something & it's just a slick bar but a bunch of folks without the talent intelligence or lifetime working at the craft will follow behind it leaving a mess

even 50 & ye are not the best examples of the problem because they still just by reflex will have some sort of quality control to their work

50 did fall into putting out shyte for shytes sake more than the others though

nikkas that don't write have no musical knowledge & only look at what they are doing as a way to get money is how you end up with microwave music

for sure. just to clarify; I'm fans of all 3. they're all musical geniuses. but their words and actions impacted the game for worse on topic.
I fell in love with hip-hop cause I felt that shyt. It was only about the music and the emotions. this shyt started underground as a counter-culture to buck the system.
now all its like a brothel for the system. smell me?

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
for sure. just to clarify; I'm fans of all 3. they're all musical geniuses. but their words and actions impacted the game for worse on topic.
I fell in love with hip-hop cause I felt that shyt. It was only about the music and the emotions. this shyt started underground as a counter-culture to buck the system.
now all its like a brothel for the system. smell me?
i don't see it as the systems fault

it's the natural course of things

nikkas saw they could get paid & 99.9% of folks gonna do with that money is blow it on vice

the period when the culture looked the best is closer to the beginning when it was hyper focused on a peculiar & specific part of the world

that culture & the breed of individual that came from it is being drowned out

that era of hood scholar is done

intelligence was seen as fly

now all the shortbus kids are on stage ha

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
That's a great point about the actual mediums in which music was listened to/processed, which means the rise of youtube and streaming, the ease and ability to record/produce and RELEASE a record go so low, while the public's appetite for "dumber" music got higher and those barriers fell really quickly.

There's a theory about mediums, that goes back to the rise of TV, where people never want to criticize new technology, out of fear of being labeled out of touch, or old, so they criticize the PERSON using it, you see this a lot with social media, or dating apps, or whatever,

but you overlook, by design, the actual medium, which may not be inherently bad, just flawed, and won't be without widespread consequences.