When Did Rappers With Zero Substance & Stories Start Getting Away With It?

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Too much artist first blame.

When Lil Baby made the bigger picture song and was immediately met with cynicism. Same with Durk and All My Life.

Corny, pandering, racist, etc are often the adjectives consumers use when artist try to actually add substance if they did not introduce themselves to an audience that way.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
i don't see it as the systems fault

it's the natural course of things

nikkas saw they could get paid & 99.9% of folks gonna do with that money is blow it on vice

the period when the culture looked the best is closer to the beginning when it was hyper focused on a peculiar & specific part of the world

that culture & the breed of individual that came from it is being drowned out

that era of hood scholar is done

intelligence was seen as fly

now all the shortbus kids are on stage ha

I hear u. but I think its offensive and a major violation. all 3 of those guys are true students of the craft. you can tell at 1 point they all really loved music. all had the skill set.
the next generation took head to the hustle; but chose to ignore the art. detrimental IMO. Even jeezy over time was able to draw the conclusion and walk back his smoke for nas cause he saw the light.
even on here. its safe to assume we are all music nerds. we here right? there are posters on here who clown the essence of this rap shyt for whatever reason and big up the wrong things.
my man @ISO does a good job going to bat for how hip-hop is alive and the youth bringing it back. and he has valid points. but the 1 thing that is true is its everything BUT the music part.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
Too much artist first blame.

When Lil Baby made the bigger picture song and was immediately met with cynicism. Same with Durk and All My Life.

Corny, pandering, racist, etc are often the adjectives consumers use when artist try to actually add substance if they did not introduce themselves to an audience that way.

I blame the consumer.

Sexist but women don’t hold rappers to high standards. Thats how these TikTok meme rappers end up getting label deals and blowing up.

Another part is what you said. I like both songs but even outside those songs, Durk is someone who touches on his emotions/relationships with others in his music.

Thats the type of thing I mean, you don’t have to rap like Will Smith but be vulnerable or creative sometimes. Show some layers.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Nah it’s way more talent out here then that

I'm in central CT a lot....I come down your way 2.....hartford got some spitters man.....but there's no like....cultural spots I guess? only clubs and parties I go 2 out there are all yardmon. got a lot of hispanic folk 2 and they do the Spanish thing. I don't ever see like hip-hop culture out here. is that right? could that play a part?

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
diddy did it, he was the one who made these big companies realize how commercial rap could be

Run DMC working with Aerosmith was what then? Bad Boy definitely had a aesthetic that was more "pop oriented" but its not like they were outselling everyone.

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
Run DMC working with Aerosmith was what then? Bad Boy definitely had an aesthetic that was more "pop oriented" but its not like they were outselling everyone.
Run dmc and Aerosmith was the birth of hip hop going into the mainstream. What diddy did was make the blueprint on how to commercialize the sound and look of hip hop. Run dmc were used to sell product.adidas / kango ect . Diddy taught them how to sell hip hop as a product itself. Showed the industry u can make a rapper

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
There’s always been a lane for this type of music. Those are just flat out terrible songs though.