What's your credit card setup like?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
2020 update:

I now have 9 primary credit cards that always net me 2%-6% cash back on anything I buy.

Amex Blue Cash Preferred 6% back on groceries and streaming services 3% back on gas. $95 annual fee which for me it pays on it's own. The free version of this card gets 3% an groceries and 1% on streaming. Pair the free one with the next card I list and you've still got 5% cb for 6 months and 3% cb for 6 months.

Chase Freedom and Discover It rotating 5% cash back always covers 6 months of warehouse clubs, groceries, gas, also dining.

US Bank Cash+ 5% back on rotating categories you choose. I pick electronics stores (Best Buy) and utilities.

Bank of America Cash Rewards 3% back on a category of your choice. I choose dining.

Citi Double Cash or Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature 2% flat cb. The Fidelity one you'd have to post the cb to a Fidelity brokerage account then pull it out to get the actual cash otherwise invest it.

Amazon Prime Visa 5% cb @ Amazon. A must if you're a Prime member.

Target RedCard MasterCard 5% cb @ Target. Not sure this is available anymore but they still have the in-store one only card.

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
Great thread.

My setup:

1. Quiksilver: My "everything card." Cash back feature has me with $1k in cash rewards.

2. Target Redcard credit: Wife and I favorite store so made sense. 5% discount per purchase is a nice feature.

3. Banana Republic store card: Oldest card (great for my credit history). Been shopping there since my teens. 10% discount on top of other discount works for me.

Few folks hit it on the head when saying that self-discipline is of the utmost importance. I pay my cards in full every month. A breh has never paid a finance charge since I've had a credit card (20+ years).:flabbynsick:

:smugdraper:

pimpineasy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the amex 6% back on groceries is absolutely crack.
familty of four who tend to cook we spend $500 a month on groceries
for the year that is $6,000. Cash back is 6% which amounts to $360.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
i think using a debit card is clown shyt :yeshrug:

why the fukk would i go around swiping MY money, when i could go around swiping the banks money :what:

and being that i pay it off in full every month, its the exact same :dead:
Never thought of it this way :ohhh::lupe:. Might have to change my usage habits :lupe:

FlimFlam

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Credit cards coupled with living off of fleeting low wage employment is an inherent disaster...im sure such a scenario is a credit standard ...so be mindful...certain equations make credit more of an albatross than a "tool"

Stupid shyt is, while i ran my balance to the limit for years jus trying to stay alive (this youthful irresponsible flossy shyt is an exaggerated stereotype..young adults out here fukked up) i would contantly get credit line increases...several times a year for years....to the tune of like 15k....maximum utilzation too...constantly over 90 percent...shyt bottomed out when i lost a job unexpectedly cause i always paid close to minimal on time...then i missed 2 months...credit score was in the 400s..but i was on the fringes ..that shyt didnt matter

when i was able to get stabllized and knock the balance out in big chunks within a couple years, ofc the increases ENDED COMPLETELY (now i want em smh)

At the end of that madness, i got no debt n an 800 score...while im happy ....moreso relieved...i threw soooooo much money away smdh

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
the amex 6% back on groceries is absolutely crack.
familty of four who tend to cook we spend $500 a month on groceries
for the year that is $6,000. Cash back is 6% which amounts to $360.
Keep in mind that the difference between just the 6% Amex card and the 3% one paired with the Discover It and Chase Freedom is like $25 a year if you spend $6000.

Take half the $6000 so $3000 at 5% is $150
The other $3000 at 3% is $90. So $240 combined.

$6000 at 6% is $360 minus the $95 annual fee is $265.

If you use it for streaming and gas it helps push that more in the 6% cards favor.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
my brother got hacked using his debit card, and he couldnt get his money for a couple weeks. huge L

cant happen with a credit card :ehh: cut it in half and tell the bank tough shyt, this is your problem. send me a new card :heh:
That's why I use cash. I personally need a stopping point and credit cards don't have that. I also keep my spending/debit account separate from bills and savings, that way if my card is compromised, it's not an issue and I still have access to funds. I'm just not good with credit cards and I have to save myself from myself :manny:

pimpineasy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2020 update:

I now have 9 primary credit cards that always net me 2%-6% cash back on anything I buy.

Amex Blue Cash Preferred 6% back on groceries and streaming services 3% back on gas. $95 annual fee which for me it pays on it's own. The free version of this card gets 3% an groceries and 1% on streaming. Pair the free one with the next card I list and you've still got 5% cb for 6 months and 3% cb for 6 months.

Chase Freedom and Discover It rotating 5% cash back always covers 6 months of warehouse clubs, groceries, gas, also dining.

US Bank Cash+ 5% back on rotating categories you choose. I pick electronics stores (Best Buy) and utilities.

Bank of America Cash Rewards 3% back on a category of your choice. I choose dining.

Citi Double Cash or Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature 2% flat cb. The Fidelity one you'd have to post the cb to a Fidelity brokerage account then pull it out to get the actual cash otherwise invest it.

Amazon Prime Visa 5% cb @ Amazon. A must if you're a Prime member.

Target RedCard MasterCard 5% cb @ Target. Not sure this is available anymore but they still have the in-store one only card.
so much gems here

but breh which chase card offers a 5% cashback
i downgraded from the chase sapphire after the initial signup bonus reward to a chase freedom unlimited
and thats only 2% rewards
where you seeing 5%?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That's why I use cash. I personally need a stopping point and credit cards don't have that. I also keep my spending/debit account separate from bills and savings, that way if my card is compromised, it's not an issue and I still have access to funds. I'm just not good with credit cards and I have to save myself from myself :manny:
If you spend enough to earn $500 cash back annually and simply invest all the cash back over 20 years at 8% average growth that’s $23K of money you left on the table to avoid credit cards. In your retirement that could buy you a decent car outright in cash. Add another 10 years to that and you’re at $57K