What's your credit card setup like?

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Target just had a data breach where millions of cards were compromised. hell they tried to hide it. debit cards are too risky to justify using. consumer protection isn't exactly the same on them as credit cards especially when functionally you can get a credit card and treat it like you would a debit. set up auto-transfers and only buy what you have the cash to pay off immediately. debit cards are borderline worthless when you take that into account. in reality an ATM card is actually lest risky than a debit card.

i know plenty of people who are both black and responsible enough to manage their spending.
i think using a debit card is clown shyt :yeshrug:

why the fukk would i go around swiping MY money, when i could go around swiping the banks money :what:

and being that i pay it off in full every month, its the exact same :dead:

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have 3 and I've had them for 10 yrs...probably will never get another one. I only use one of them regularly

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
American Express raised the fee on the Blue Cash Preferred from $75 to $95. You now have to spend $3167 annual at a grocery store to hit the justification point of taking the Preferred over the Everyday. It used to be $2500 annually. That's about $264 a month now. If they raise that fee anymore I'm gonna have to downgrade to the free card. Blue Cash was my main card and will continue to be so.

Their return protection and extended manufacture warranty are amazing. The first lets you return normal items within 90 days if the place of sale refuses your return and the second doubles the manufacture's warranty if it's under a year and if it's between a year to 5 years it adds an extra year rendering most extended warranties stores offer to sell you worthless.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Update for 2018

Here's my rotation:
1. American Express Blue Cash Preferred: 6% back at grocery stores and 3% back at gas stations. The annual fee I believe is $95 but I spend enough that it pays for itself. There's a free 3% off at grocery stores variety but that would be worthless to me because the Preferred pays for itself.

2. US Bank Cash+: I use this at Best Buy for 5% off all my purchases there. I also use it to auto-pay my cell phone bill and get 5% off there. It has quarterly selectable categories for 5% and 2% off but I always select Electronic Stores and Cell Phones for my 5% off categories and I don't use the rest.

3. Citi Double Cash: My default card. 2% back on everything.

4. Chase Freedom: I use this for the rotating 5% categories. Usually gas one quarter and restaurants a quarter and Walmart towards the holidays.

5. Discover It: Same as above except Amazon or Target towards the holidays. This card is a lot less useful to me now because of my next 2 cards.

6. Chase Amazon Rewards Card: 5% off Amazon year round with a Prime sub which I have.

7. Target Mastercard REDcard: This is my oldest credit card account. 5% off at Target. The Mastercard variety is no longer available to new applicants.

8. Chase Freedom Unlimited: Is one of my oldest cards. I converted it from a Slate to this but use it once a year to maintain it.

Daps
Chase Sapphire reserve is the best card out right now. I suggest all you Freedom card holders switch to the Reserve since you can bring your points balance with you. I have about 170k points on my Reserve and recently cashed out 50k points for a trip which came out to be around $800. 3x points and you get enough back every year to cover the card fee.

Also gives you lounge access at the airport, easy first class upgrade. Was able to upgrade 3 out of the 7 times I tried last year to first class for $50

King Poetic

A.K.A. Curve
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
I have 5 credit cards

American Express Blue Card

Capital one

Capital one quicksilver

Discover card

Keybank credit card

I only use one regularly and the others i never use but twice a year to keep active by using them for gas only

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I have 5 credit cards

American Express Blue Card

Capital one

Capital one quicksilver

Discover card

Keybank credit card

I only use one regularly and the others i never use but twice a year to keep active by using them for gas only
You're leaving money on the table if you don't rethink your credit card setup. Last year I earned about $1300 in rewards off all my cards. I wasn't going out of my way to spend money to earn them I just spend where I spend but use the right card at the right place. Once you memorize what place you use what card it becomes automatic outside the Freedom and Discover It quarter switches.