What’s going on with Will Smith brehs?

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Will seems to do best in roles where he is playing a role based on a real person (Ali POH Concussion) so maybe he should go that route on his next movie. But either way the man is set for life and so are his kids so at this point anything else is just the cherry on top for him.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Someone in here hit the nail on the head: the movie “star” is dead. It’s all about ensembles now. The way we receive and control media with such autonomy has drastically changed the landscape.

Could you even imagine “reality” stars being in Hollywood movies during the 30s-70s? Now we have cameos from YouTube personalities and talentless reality stars to drive people to the movies.

Social media has taken away the allure of the movie star. They no longer have that air of mystique or mystery. Their warts and all are plastered everywhere for us to see. It’s a shame because now we can see the adverse effect it has taken on the silver screen overall.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Limited? :sean_:

Dude is a top 50, maybe top 30 actor of all time.
this is 100% false...great comedic actor, credible action film actor but doesn't have the range to do things outside of that.

Most box office stars are limited, the people with the best acting chops are usually the character actors.

Oh, because he cried once on Fresh Prince, you think he can act?

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Lol at Anthony Token Negro Mackie the go to nikka side kick stealing Will Smith type roles:mjlol:

You're right he's not. British ass David Oyelowo and Chiwetel Ejiofor are though :stopitslime::camby:.

Chadwick isn't there yet until black Panther comes out then he will be over the top to the next level.

Michael B Jordan is on his way and I guess John Boyega too but not quite on wills leading man in big blockbuster roles

Jamie Foxx might have taken some away from him but he fell off after Ray imo.

Anthony Mackie is filling a discounted will smith role. He can do dramas, comedies, blockbusters at a fraction of the cost and not as much screen time :ufdup:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
They are all younger than Will Smith. :francis:
And Nate Parker can bounce back, every action has an opposite and equal reaction. Especially since he has shown the ability to spearhead his own project.

He is done in the #metoo era. He got crushed by controversy before the Weinstein wave.

Him being innocent and exonerated won't help unfortunately, the stigma has been placed on him :ld:

Daps
Will seems to do best in roles where he is playing a role based on a real person (Ali POH Concussion) so maybe he should go that route on his next movie. But either way the man is set for life and so are his kids so at this point anything else is just the cherry on top for him.

Which makes him a trash actor

Because doing impersonations is not a great acting job

So much easier as here is so much to base your character off

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
His big blockbusters like Suicide Squad still make bank. It’s his smaller “Oscar” type movies that the critics savage that he can’t carry to box office gold anymore.

If you look at his upcoming slate of movies he’s back to blockbusters. Bright is Netflix’s most expensive budgeted film. He’s doing the voice of the Genie in Disney’s live action Aladdin, which if it’s even half as good as Beauty and The Beast will do HUGE numbers and he’s signed on to be in Suicide Squad 2.

The ONLY thing I’m mad about is that they axed Bad Boys 3:mjcry: other than that Will Smith is still one of the last true movie stars on the planet.

Will Smith is kinda done as this draw.
To the point he is on Netflix.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I'm gonna be real with you...I didnt see a problem with After Earth. Will was hardly in the movie and Jaden wasn't even bad. The vitriol that came from the reviews of that movie had me thinking it was the worst movie ever and it was nowhere close but I think we all know what that was about. People in this very thread got bamboozled and said Will tried to put him in all his movies when he's only been in 2 (One of which everyone liked). People were itching to hate on that movie especially with M Knight being involved and Will trying to pave a way for his kid....."Hollywood" didnt like that at all...
As far as Will and his career you're right. He's always been a mixed bag. Top box office draw at one time and dominated for damn near a decade but movies never really been all that critically acclaimed. Times have changed and he's adapted pretty good IMO people just looking back caught up in nostalgia when the reality is he's always been this way.

The worst part about that movie being an actual excellent Sci fi type movie brought to film was. Will showed us a more interesting story in said movie and the movie never explained more in that sense. Plus, he should have followed it up with the movie that explained who his character was. Instead he ran off from an actual Intelligently written Sci fi script turned movie. That actually felt like you were reading an actual Sci fi actual well written novel transferred on film. That most Sci fi movies are missing in feel. If he would have followed up with the story to explain the alien antagonist and will's character path to glory. That would have been the film. Instead he kinda went for like the wrong type of content for this day and age. In this day and age a good Sci fi novel feeling film won't cut it. He should have made the movie more about his character and that origin. Not the episodic story that was better served for a tv series than an actual film in theatres. That was his mistake in that film. Past that, the movie has the feel that is typically lost in adaptation of source Sci fi material. That the component was lost in the reviews of that movie. That it makes me wonder if the reviews negatively for the film are written by professionals who actually know Sci fi literature.

Art Barr

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
He is done in the #metoo era. He got crushed by controversy before the Weinstein wave.

Him being innocent and exonerated won't help unfortunately, the stigma has been placed on him :ld:
I seriously doubt the #metoo era lasts forever and it has actually helped him. Dudes were getting away with rape in some cases for decades while he was exonerated. In hindsight he will look better and likely get work again if he is still interested.

Hollywood loves a come back story.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Someone in here hit the nail on the head: the movie “star” is dead. It’s all about ensembles now. The way we receive and control media with such autonomy has drastically changed the landscape.

Could you even imagine “reality” stars being in Hollywood movies during the 30s-70s? Now we have cameos from YouTube personalities and talentless reality stars to drive people to the movies.

Social media has taken away the allure of the movie star. They no longer have that air of mystique or mystery. Their warts and all are plastered everywhere for us to see. It’s a shame because now we can see the adverse effect it has taken on the silver screen overall.
I don't think it is a shame. Putting people on a pedestal because they can sing and act is pretty dumb. The profession needed to get knocked down a few pegs.

Daps
He has tried his hand at Indy films rather than big budget stuff and it doesn't really really work because we expect big things from him. He does have Bad Boys 3 as a banker if he needs a smash.

Will is good and seems to be liked by many but he did the right thing by going away from his typical stuff but just chose the wrong movies to do it with.

As for talented black actors we are living in an era where we do have a good selection and hopefully some of them can make it to the superstar stage although that seems to be dying out.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Will Smith is kinda done as this draw.
To the point he is on Netflix.

Art Barr

Netflix bought the movie in an effort to bring new subscribers in though so that is a draw to me.

De Niro and Pacino are about to be in a film directed by Scorsese and Netflix bought it too cause they know people will subscribe for it too.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
He has tried his hand at Indy films rather than big budget stuff and it doesn't really really work because we expect big things from him. He does have Bad Boys 3 as a banker if he needs a smash.

Will is good and seems to be liked by many but he did the right thing by going away from his typical stuff but just chose the wrong movies to do it with.

As for talented black actors we are living in an era where we do have a good selection and hopefully some of them can make it to the superstar stage although that seems to be dying out.

After, infinity war it is over with, breh.
After that you can forget seeing another large drawing film property ever again. Plus you will never ever see an original film property be a largest draws in film history ever again.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Netflix bought the movie in an effort to bring new subscribers in though so that is a draw to me.

De Niro and Pacino are about to be in a film directed by Scorsese and Netflix bought it too cause they know people will subscribe for it too.

Breh,...
If will and pacino/deniro/sorcese are on Netflix. After star wars that truly shows the move to the digital romance era being even closer to taking over. As the draw for blockbusters and the ideal of going to a movie theatre will start to wane.
Star wars being low quality is the beginning what will be the hermit digital era. Where motherfukkers stay in the house a slave to a digital chemical romance. As there is nuffin of value to warrant a consumer leaving their place of residence. Star wars being so low quality shows. These corporations have no idea how to ramp in draw, develop a draw, reverse engineer a draw via spread sheet profitability. Nor how to create an original blockbuster property based draw. The shyt dead after this.

The amount of star wars ahit still on the shelf going into and after this movie is gonna be et on Atari level of shelf sitting and later burial. This shyt could bring on the fall of shyt like, it is a call back to the fall of video games. That is how fukked up this shyt is now.

Art Barr