What’s going on with Will Smith brehs?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I don't think you know what "star" means.

Those are some talented actors you just posted but no ones going to see a movie because Andre Holland is in it. Or even Ali. If they were moonlight wouldn't be one of the lowest grossing best picture winners ever
Besides DiCaprio and Dwayne Johnson no one goes to see movies because of any one actor anymore. It's other stuff, Beauty and the Beast, Despicable Me 3, The Last Jedi are the top grossing movies this year for every other reason than the headlining actor.
All those actors would get offered roles in big movies before Will Smith nowadays. Especially some Oscar bait shyt.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm gonna be real with you...I didnt see a problem with After Earth. Will was hardly in the movie and Jaden wasn't even bad. The vitriol that came from the reviews of that movie had me thinking it was the worst movie ever and it was nowhere close but I think we all know what that was about. People in this very thread got bamboozled and said Will tried to put him in all his movies when he's only been in 2 (One of which everyone liked). People were itching to hate on that movie especially with M Knight being involved and Will trying to pave a way for his kid....."Hollywood" didnt like that at all...
As far as Will and his career you're right. He's always been a mixed bag. Top box office draw at one time and dominated for damn near a decade but movies never really been all that critically acclaimed. Times have changed and he's adapted pretty good IMO people just looking back caught up in nostalgia when the reality is he's always been this way.

Yeah I hear you on after earth but nah I seen it. Thought it was awful. But obviously that’s my opinion. It happened right at the tail end of M Night needing to humble himself as a director and it just didn’t work much like the last airbender didn’t work. He got too enamored with technique rather than storytelling and coherence.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
will is from a lost era when stars were the most important thing. we have transitioned to a time where the intellectual property is more important. the same thing has happened to tom cruise and denzel.

then add that to the fact that a portion of their audience is now larry holmesean and who would probably rather catch a matinee or see it at home

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Maybe maybe not. But I also feel like he did that more for Jaden’s benefit than his own.also seems to me that backlash existed on message boards and social media.

Nah that backlash was real. Critics savaged it totally unfairly for shyt that had NOTHING to do with the movie.

You wanna criticize the fake accents? Cool

You wanna talk about the movie sidelining Will? Cool

But calling it Scientologist propaganda for exhibiting the SAME themes that damn near every single white led hero movie has ever done is downright bullshyt. Critics really tried to say the film was some big Scientology thing when it was a standard Hero’s Journey Sci-fi flick.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nah that backlash was real. Critics savaged it totally unfairly for shyt that had NOTHING to do with the movie.

You wanna criticize the fake accents? Cool

You wanna talk about the movie sidelining Will? Cool

But calling it Scientologist propaganda for exhibiting the SAME themes that damn near every single white led hero movie has ever done is downright bullshyt. Critics really tried to say the film was some big Scientology thing when it was a standard Hero’s Journey Sci-fi flick.

I feel that. I still thought it was a piece of shyt because somebody needed to tell M Night to get his head out of his ass and the script felt like it was all second draft and no one questioned whether they needed a third. Or fourth. Or maybe it just shouldn’t have been done to begin with. The Jurassic Park problem: everyone was so concerned with whether they could no one questioned whether they should.

If I gave a shyt what the critics said about anything then I’d be on that hill with you. But I saw it and didn’t fukk with it and blame the director and the script. Will wanted to make a vanity project. He’s not the first and he damn sure won’t be the last. But ask Bruce Willis about vanity projects:russ:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Chill out breh :laff:

I’m just saying breh:russ: like we’re really doing revisionist history now. That’d be like me being so confused critics hated ace Ventura and then saying “but all my friends loved it” without mentioning I saw it when I was 8 so my friends were also...8. So yes 8 year olds have different opinions on movies than grown ass adults.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Besides DiCaprio and Dwayne Johnson no one goes to see movies because of any one actor anymore. It's other stuff, Beauty and the Beast, Despicable Me 3, The Last Jedi are the top grossing movies this year for every other reason than the headlining actor.
All those actors would get offered roles in big movies before Will Smith nowadays. Especially some Oscar bait shyt.

Pretty much

The Rock
DiCaprio
Kevin Hart

Are the only one day opening movies just off the strength of their names, and Di’Caprio does mostly prestige pictures anyway, not “blockbuster” films so I don’t even know if we’d add him.

Will is in an interesting spot. He’s still a star, I’d classify him as still a legit movie star because his films still do bank overseas, and even in Suicide Squad his performance was almost universally praised even if the movie was panned. Reports are that SS2 is going to revolve mostly around him and Margot Robbie.

But again, his smaller scale movies don’t do that well anymore. Focus did respectable numbers but if that SAME movie dropped in 2000-2007 it would’ve grossed 100 milli easily. Concussion would’ve done Pursuit OF happyness numbers back then. So his name alone isn’t getting people in seats anymore just off the Strength

Not to derail the thread but I really feel like Michael B Jordan and John Boyega got next when it comes to bankable black actors. Boyega is going to have to shake off the embarrassment that is the Finn Step N Fetch in Star Wars but if Pacific Rim does numbers with him as the main draw he can really be that Dude

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Pretty much

The Rock
DiCaprio
Kevin Hart

Are the only one day opening movies just off the strength of their names, and Di’Caprio does mostly prestige pictures anyway, not “blockbuster” films so I don’t even know if we’d add him.

Will is in an interesting spot. He’s still a star, I’d classift him as still a legit movie star because his films still do bank overseas, and even in Suicide Sauad his performance was almost universally praised even if the movie was panned. Reports are that SS2 is going to revolve mostly around him and Margot Robbie.

But again, his smaller scale movies don’t do that well anymore. Focus did respectable numbers but if that SAME movie dropped in 2000-2007 it would’ve grossed 100 milli easily. Concussion would’ve done Pursuit OF happyness numbers back then. So his name alone isn’t getting people in seats anymore just off the Strength

Not to derail the thread but I really feel like Michael B Jordan and John Boyega got next when it comes to bankable black actors. Boyega is going to have to shake off the embarrassment that is the Finn Step N Fetch in Star Wars but if Pacific Rim does numbers with him as the main draw he can really be that Dude

I don’t think the John boyega thing is a big deal outside of certain circles breh. Not to say you’re wrong cause how you feel is how you feel but that shyt won’t hurt him at all.

HOPEFULLY pacific rim does well and is good because I want him to pop but I hated the first pacific rim. Like with a passion lol. And I want to hear what else Michael is doing with this Thomas crown affair he’s producing and starring in.

I will disagree with you one thing tho: I don’t think any actor or actress of any race is going to be “bankable” in the future. At least not the way we think about it. What made stars stars was rarity. You couldn’t see will all the time or hear from him. Same with any other star. Abscence made the heart grow fonder.

Now? We see these people all the damn time. We see them on tv. We see them on our phones. We see them on social media. They’re so damn ubiquitous. The rock is the biggest movie star in the world and even he isn’t guaranteed 100 mill out the gate. And the movies that do well for him? Established franchises or ensemble pics.

Come to think about it, oceans 11 has become the template for Hollywood. You get a group of stars together who on their own may not guarantee you success but together? Hell yes.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Pretty much

The Rock
DiCaprio
Kevin Hart

Will is in an interesting spot. He’s still a star, I’d classify him as still a legit movie star because his films still do bank overseas, and even in Suicide Squad his performance was almost universally praised even if the movie was panned. Reports are that SS2 is going to revolve mostly around him and Margot Robbie.

Will does both prestige Oscar bait shyt as well as blockbusters that's why I included Leo. He gravitates toward movies where he is the unquestionable star when ensembles are more the thing nowadays. He needs to adapt because he is getting lost in the sauce. He no longer gets offered the best roles in the best movies whether it be prestige or blockbuster, he seems to just to take what's available and he can star in. That Collateral Beauty shyt and even Bright are kinda beneath him IMO. Maybe Alladin is a step in the right direction tho.
Michael B. Jordan I agree he definitely got next, Boyega not so much.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Bottom line when it comes to stars, we’re in a sucky ass time. Normally people want to see event movies now. That’s why girls trip is such dope shyt because it’s not based on anything. It’s not a remake or a reboot. It’s just black actresses together doing their thing and the people flocked. Same thing happened with the hangover, which is a reason that got heralded as much as it did. But like someone else said, only one person in Star Wars was able to be a big deal and that was Harrison Ford. With the hangover, most of those guys have been hit or miss with their flicks. shyt Bradley cooper’s most famous role is him doing the voice of an computer generated rodent.

I’m sure he’s not but Will may very well be the last legit movie star Hollywood put out. And by that I mean you put their name on anything and it’s a bit guaranteed. I’m sure someone will correct me on that. But anyway Will's waining ability to do that is just a sign of the times. Audiences don’t line up to see actors anymore. The characters are the stars.

Robert Downey jr in iron man? Billion dollars. Robert Downey jr in the judge? A billion $1 bins in Walmart. Nobody gave a shyt

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Nothing. He is still one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. He just isn't in top anymore. Media running with a narrative trying to prematurely end his career :mjpls: