What's an ''industry plant''?

Edi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they weren't marketed as indie, that's just a label people place on themselves to make themselves feel better about an artist they are listening too

Drake had songs with Lil Wayne in 2008. There was nothing "indie" about his movement. Drake had Lil Wayne, Llloyd, Bun-B on So Far Gone. The day So Far Gone was released it got 2000 downloads on the first day, it was not that anticipated, until Best I Ever Had started picking up steam

Wiz Khalifa was selling out shows and was building a buzz before Kush & OJ dropped. But SOHH did not pay attention to him. Kush & OJ was anticipated on social networking sites and was one of the most searched items on yahoo & google. I remember clearly people asking on SOHH why no one was mentioning it

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Drake made a song, passed it on to his manager. odd future used viral marketing. wiz paid a publicist.

the way artists get noticed is going to change

you guys are still stuck in 2002. A dude can get a deal off having a lot of Youtube views. No industry magic involved in that.

this people just took advantage of different resources around them

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
The problem is people are using the term as more of a conspiracy term more than for what it really is. Smart marketing. Instead of having to sign these dudes to HUGE deals ONCE they get really hot... sign them while they're still building a buzz, let them blow on the label through mixtapes/touring, and if they signed 360 deals, then the label gets paid off their come-up. It's the new way to do it.

What some people are referring to are artists that already had connects before giving an insane amount of hype. That's whatever. But the strategy I just mentioned is well documented and smart. It just plays on the consumer that the artist was indie for a large part of their rise to the mainstream.

Popcorn.gif

I LOVE these threads. Usual suspects in here :laugh:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
You must not know what viral marketing is.

OF is a perfect example of industry backed plants. Dudes came into the game like a year ago w/ people even calling them "the next wu-tang", and now have their own TV show and everything. Yep, no industry backing at all. Same thing with Drake, how his first mixtapes had way more hype, promo and industry cosigns than most ALBUMS.

yep. and lets not forget about drake getting coronated at the bet awards before the crowd even knew who he was.

odd future was the tipping point for industry plants. i think the odd future ish last year made even the most impressionable people take notice to this industry tactic.

and i find it funny how some of the people in here arguing against this are the same people that ive previously suspected as being paid posters.:laugh:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Second, anyone that is having music 'pushed on them' and only enjoys it because of co-signs can't possibly be older than 12 years old. Most of us are grown men here. No one is being fooled by some smoke and mirror schemes and tricks. At the end of the day you can't listen to any of that shyt. If the music is good then it is fukking good. End of story. The fukk does a grown man look like saying "I'm not too sure about this song, but Kanye said it's crack so I'm going to keep it on replay".

the average internet poster does indeed think like this. most of these dudes, just follow whatever seems to be the cool thing to say on message boards, particularly the ones who have no real connection to the music or culture. so when they see "wiz khalifa is the new snoop doggy dogg" or "odd future" is the new wutang, they run with it.

and cosigns go a long way. youre average person in society is a follower. especially if its concerning something thats not valuable to their livelihood like music. thats why the 1st thing that comes out of peoples mouths in defense of an artist is typically "they get played on the radio" or "rapper A likes them, and so does rapper B."

All I'm gonna say is the usual suspects showed up to a thread like this on cue...

There's two kinds of people to watch in this thread:

1, the people in this thread calling folks haters and defending every aspect of the music industry... there's a reason for that.
And 2, people who have no clue that music is being pushed on them and they're liking it b/c it gets co-signs everywhere...

There are artists who have major label deals already signed long before many people have heard of them... then the PR team gets to work on those blogs, an organic movement is created, so to speak... and a star is on the way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's not a conspiracy. It's just easier to do business b/c the risks are a LOT lower. It's a sound business and marketing strategy.

But believe what you want.

:clap::clap:

this pretty much sums it up.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Industry is code for "I have no idea how this sh1t works".
People think labels just throw dudes out there and they get on.
It doesn't work that way,I've discussed it at length on that other site so I won't
rehash how I feel but I will simply say this the Major labels are nowhere near as powerful as
they used to be.

they weren't marketed as indie, that's just a label people place on themselves to make themselves feel better about an artist they are listening too

Drake had songs with Lil Wayne in 2008. There was nothing "indie" about his movement. Drake had Lil Wayne, Llloyd, Bun-B on So Far Gone. The day So Far Gone was released it got 2000 downloads on the first day, it was not that anticipated, until Best I Ever Had started picking up steam

Wiz Khalifa was selling out shows and was building a buzz before Kush & OJ dropped. But SOHH did not pay attention to him. Kush & OJ was anticipated on social networking sites and was one of the most searched items on yahoo & google. I remember clearly people asking on SOHH why no one was mentioning it

Exactly Drake is a terrible example compared to some of the rappers we've seen come up in the past two to three years.
He's related to a Funk Legend, he's been wealthy most of his life and has
the money and various connects to put himself on, ON TOP OF already having some pretty good product to push with that.

bangedher_wholesquad

carlos danger
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont care whar you say. Drake is a label plant and if u dont think its blatently obvipus and u pay attention ur clearly part of it. He has no remarkable skill set or come up that warrants him getting so much before an album.

Daps
Reppin
Atlanta To New Orleans
I LOVE these threads. Usual suspects in here :laugh:

Right??? I already knew who was gonna come in defending things before I even came into this thread...

and i find it funny how some of the people in here arguing against this are the same people that ive previously suspected as being paid posters.:laugh:

Oh you know who it is. Probably getting paid to make sure everything is on the up and up with the word of mouth about these artists lol. Like I said... it's not a conspiracy, b/c that's what a PR firm does online... it's just smart business.