What's an ''industry plant''?

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
1. How is Lana Del Ray an industry plant? She signed to a major label and became famous.

2. Mac Miller is signed to a great indie label with mad contacts, the same label that made Wiz blow up on the indie scene.

3. Drake has a very traceable come up in the rap game, he might've had some contract with Cash Money before he "officially" signed thats about it.

4.Odd Future, I don't even know how they could possibly be industry plants.
I don't even know how you are thinking with them.
1. She's not an industry plant as such but she's manufactured like Britney and them. The indie looking vids of Video Games etc. is just marketing.

2. Mac Miller has real dollars behind him. This is a fact.

3. This is where you've been duped. He had BEEN signed when SFG dropped, the bidding war etc. fugazi. It was just announced after the album dropped. Like 50 said, you don't get on the radio without someone putting a lot of money behind the record.

4. Once again, when they where on Jimmy Fallon they had BEEN signed. Maybe only for 6 months but they where signed.Bidding wars etc. bullshyt.

Now look at Meek Millz. Someone making a lot of noise out of Philly for a hot minute. Did he get on national tv? Nope. He was on the blogs etc. but not heavy, heavy. No real dollars behind him. Ross gave him a free verse but how many other big names did he get? Nada. Now look at the big names on SFG. There's unsigned artists that get as much media, pr and blog time as Meek, that's because they're signed.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
If the music is hot to you, why should you care how they came up?

the thing is, most of these industry plants really arent hot. 90% of them have no core authentic rap audience offline even after "blowing up". and before "blowing up", they were nobodies in their own cities.

keep on trying to give passes out to bullchit. the more you do that, the quicker rap will die off for good. have fun.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
the thing is, most of these industry plants really arent hot. 90% of them have no core authentic rap audience offline even after "blowing up". and before "blowing up", they were nobodies in their own cities.

keep on trying to give passes out to bullchit. the more you do that, the quicker rap will die off for good. have fun.

Wacky?:rudy:

As for them being "hot" that's your opinions thats why I said if the music is hot to you. If I don't like a nikka I'm not gonna listen to him, I could give a dam how he came up. Same thing if I like the music

It's almost like nikkaz hate "industry plants" more for How they came up then for the actual music:mjpls:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
thats just it. their music is usually wacky. thats whats wacky. and its also the reason why they had to create an illusion in order to get over in the 1st place.

ive yet to come across an industry plant thats worth taken seriously. i like asap but theyre really not good. just more of a guilty pleasure. kendrick is a great lyricist but a shabby artist that would still be nowhere if he wasnt planted. the rest of them? HA!!!

Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh
I don't look at guys like Mac Miller or Odd Future as industry plants, just guys who benefited from fitting an image or having a style that industry insiders saw as marketable and helped them get where they are.

Mac Miller obviously benefited from being singed to a label that just helped Wiz Khalifa blow. Technically he may be 100 percent indie, but you know that label has connections.. not to mention Mac has been getting huge help from MTV by them putting him as the main Star on their Hip Hop Squares show and allowing him to host a full episode of Punk'd.

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that's what i've been saying. there NO WAY you're going to suddenly catch a buzz out of nowhere unless someone huge is supporting you. so by definition, drake, wiz khalifa, mac miller, and etc are INDUSTRY PLANTS. like i seriously doubt, wiz khalifa had enough pull around the kush and orange juice period IF he was an independent to get played on MTV U because that's what i saw. obviously, these guys are already signed and then the a&r's are lying their asses off about these guys coming out of nowhere or whatever the f*ck. these people think they're slick.

Mask and Da Glock

Posting From Rehab
Daps
One positive is all the free music with industry-backed quality though. Is it fair? Maybe not...I'm a music consumer though I look for music I find enjoyable and enjoy it. I don't care if it's G Gunz up the street or a rich jew's son.

I'd rather buy an authentic musicians album...but let's be honest. None of you are supporting anything, industry or not. Give me a break motherfukkers.