What's an ''industry plant''?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
i THINK the issue is feeling tricked into something.. also the money and gifts given to get the buzz just isn't the same. its not so much they are signed.. cool. that's fine

the issue is say you listen to two stations, read about 5 blogs and you're on twitter. well before a good song would be on that station, blog and talked about because it was a great song. and its not 1000 spins or posts a day. so maybe you only get to hear a limited amount of songs and definitely only hear 2-3 new songs a day.

so now instead of me trusting this blog or this dj to put me on to some great music, now i'm listening to wiz and odd future. not because they are just that great. but because someone paid off a bunch of people. and then the people i trust to give me the straight up, they lie and say this group is great, just so they can get a check.

but they don't tell anybody about the check they got. nobody knows that this artist that they just discovered, was signed 5 years ago and was paid to get this record everywhere. the blogger acts like the great review was their real opinion. but in the meantime, a really great underground artist just lost his spot. or on some marlo shyt "the price of the buzz just went up"... so now i won't hear from other artists because they didn't have the money to pay off 10 bloggers today.

that being said, it don't piss me off cause i only care about the music. i don't care if i hear a trash song 50 times, its still trash. but there are people who do care about a backstory. who do wanna see the underdog win. who do take a review into HIGH consideration before they even hear the song. who do feel special when they know about an unknown artist or be the first to say "man i liked ______ back before anybody knew" who do hear the same song 50 times and get it stuck in their head to the point they go buy the single.. that's how you get artists like Kreyashawn (would of been dope if she said it Creation) they can sell gold and platinum singles cause its burned into people's brain. but 2 months later and nobody cares... but labels got paid.. so they could care less if she ever puts out an album or maintains that buzz.. probably got her in a 360 deal

to each his own but the other poster was right.. the industry and money controls every aspect of this game now

concise

Veteran
Daps
i THINK the issue is feeling tricked into something.. also the money and gifts given to get the buzz just isn't the same. its not so much they are signed.. cool. that's fine

the issue is say you listen to two stations, read about 5 blogs and you're on twitter. well before a good song would be on that station, blog and talked about because it was a great song. and its not 1000 spins or posts a day. so maybe you only get to hear a limited amount of songs and definitely only hear 2-3 new songs a day.

so now instead of me trusting this blog or this dj to put me on to some great music, now i'm listening to wiz and odd future. not because they are just that great. but because someone paid off a bunch of people. and then the people i trust to give me the straight up, they lie and say this group is great, just so they can get a check.

but they don't tell anybody about the check they got. nobody knows that this artist that they just discovered, was signed 5 years ago and was paid to get this record everywhere. the blogger acts like the great review was their real opinion. but in the meantime, i really great underground artist just lost his spot. i won't hear about that because he didn't have the money to pay off 10 bloggers today.

that being said, it don't piss me off cause i only care about the music.
but there are people who do care about a backstory. who do wanna see the underdog win. who do feel special when they know about an unknown artist or be the first to say "man i liked ______ back before anybody knew"

to each his own

This is an extended version of what I said earlier, but it still pisses me off precisely because that other artist doesn't get the same chance and it's rarely due to the music.

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I like being up on artists before the masses and hear rappers when they are still raw and hungry but at the same time I realize that all these guys have some kind of money behind them and you don't blow up just like that. The industry plant thing doesn't bother me too much as long as they are making good music. I'm too big of a fan of music to be influenced by blogs/radio etc.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
ASAP rocky
Mac miller
Odd future
Lana del ray
Drake

Basically nikkas who have ties to the industry but give the illusion that they were "underground independent" as a marketing gimmick to come off more authentic, raw, real etc.
1. How is Lana Del Ray an industry plant? She signed to a major label and became famous.

2. Mac Miller is signed to a great indie label with mad contacts, the same label that made Wiz blow up on the indie scene.

3. Drake has a very traceable come up in the rap game, he might've had some contract with Cash Money before he "officially" signed thats about it.

4.Odd Future, I don't even know how they could possibly be industry plants.
I don't even know how you are thinking with them.

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
1. How is Lana Del Ray an industry plant? She signed to a major label and became famous.

2. Mac Miller is signed to a great indie label with mad contacts, the same label that made Wiz blow up on the indie scene.

3. Drake has a very traceable come up in the rap game.

4.Odd Future, I don't even know how they could possibly be industry plants.
I don't even know how you are thinking with them.

I think Lana Del Rey has family in Interscope

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
So why did she sign to a small label first? release her first album there and not do so well? Why did she grind out her own low budget videos on youtube from that indie label until they started getting some pitchfork fame which lead to interscope signing her?

the things I observe
1. People act like artists show up outta nowhere, Lana Del Ray been releasing music for years. It took time for her to blow up.
2. If they are not acting, they are saying things are conspiracy cause they lack knowledge about the situation of these artists come up.
3. Black people in general loves blaming things on conspiracy, instead of grinding. Someone getting rich and/or successful: c00n, illuminati, puppet. Someone blowing up: Industry plant bla bla bla.

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
So why did she sign to a small label first? release her first album there and not do so well? Why did she grind out her own low budget videos on youtube from that indie label until they started getting some pitchfork fame which lead to interscope signing her?

Because she was an industry plant the whole time :yeshrug:
Honestly I don't know but I was just saying that because that's why people think she is a plant

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Because she was an industry plant the whole time :yeshrug:
Honestly I don't know but I was just saying that because that's why people think she is a plant

So she's been signed to Interscope for 6 years and interscope had her doing open mics and shyt for the first 4 years? If that's being an industry plant, they don't seem to be having any perks.

It's as likely that these cats might've been managed by Italian mobsters putting guns to promoters heads and cashing in loans to get their artists to open up shows at these promoters venues.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

That chick father is multi-millioniare that has ties with Iovine from way back.

It's not just rap music.

Look up how Taylor Swift really blew up?