What is LL Cool J missing that keeps him out of real GOAT discussion?

Bondye Vodou

Proud practitioner of the "High Science"
Daps
Because his classic material didn't age well. He doesn't have an illmatic, Ready to die, paid in full, reasonable doubt, MATW, etc that transcends eras
Perfectly said. The prime LL music from the 80s didn't age well besides a handful of songs e.g. mama said knock you out (which is a timeless classic).

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The entire commercial jiggy game is patterned directly from the boy king.

James todd smith has 153 commercial high quality playlist hit records. which is more than any rapper.
who recorded in the old way of slow burn marketing with two years between each release.

By the standards you jiggy ass nikkaz go on. Ll is the term he coined. Now in hiphop culture in the emcee pillar. it may be a different. Yet in a commercial rap misappropriated realm. Where all you general posters dwell.
James todd smith is the original boy king.
Plus has direct claim to the acronym he coined as well.

As you can not find a more skilled commercial rapper in the history of the misappropriated business of rap from the pillar of emcee'n.

Plus he could still drop and be bar to bar more skilled in every emcee skill attribute.
than any other commercial rapper you nikkaz wanna attempt to say is on his level.
Double time = beast
Slow flow = only long term rakim is better
Convincability and versatility = only ra is better but not near the output tho.
Girl record = tha absolute goat. More records than rakim's mahogany and know what's on ya mind.
Ll created and has the first perfect classic with mama said as well.
Commercial.playlist = goat series of records. That every commercial rapper has to bite .
To even be mentioned.
Where no one has an i need love.
Or luv u better.
to try to compete past slick rick's teenage love. Where rick never made another in that series of records.
like ll twenty years almost removed from the debut of i need love. Plus follow it up with a whole album of rnb collab records. no other rapper in history will ever match with james todd smith. Let alone go back and forth with real emcee submissions. That after we survey any violations.
in regard to cultural issues in the emcee pillar. Never approach the scust of a pedo enabler.

Art Barr

The pen ultimate is ll cool j.
Only two grown nikkaz to come on a tv set and make you wanna assail to. Were five years older on debut at nineteen in rakim and big daddy kane.
When ll debuted at fourteen and had no video or appearance to crush groove.
that acted as a gateway visual till much later.

Not to mention the most classic highest rated introduction visually in rap.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Tv was invented to showcase michael jackson at the 25th motown.

Yet the vcr was made for this moment in time.

This moment rejuvenated what an important invention of the radio was well.

That is how dually powerful this moment in time was.
Brought to you by the boyking.

ll COOl J

Art Barr

Last edited:

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
LL is Top 10 for me. But I always felt his bars lacked that elite complexity even though he was always a great rapper. Not sure if that makes sense.

who was elite complexity? lol Most will say Rakim but...

"Nice big plate of fish which is my favorite dish, but without no money is still a wish??" ,

No 80's rapper was rapping complexed like most rappers that came in the 90's. Well maybe Kool G Rap or Masta Ace who got way better as the years passed..

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Omg..its that HIS vouchers aint on message boards at their age or all over the net. The guys/rappers who were his peers or came in the 90s always mention LL as a GOAT. Their opinion matters waaay more than yalls..

Yall buggin with these threads
The end

Daps
Reppin
The Ghetto of Oz
I main problem for LL are the fans

His career spans over 3 decades so his initial fans aren't vocal in these conversations in these spaces that's why you never see threads on the real old school

Rap changed so much from early 80s

Melle Mel
Kurtis Blow
Kool Moe Dee

To Mid 80s

Run DMC
Slick Rick
KRS One

Late 80s

Rakim
Kane
G Rap

LL ain't attached to any one specific era since he was active in all of them

Big & Pac died at the top in their era so they're forever tied to it

The battle between Hov & NaS cemented them at the top so they'll forever be in the conversation

LL wasn't part of a legendary group like Cube
Or associated with anyone like EM, 50, Dre

That why it's so hard to find someone to versus with him cause you can't compare his career to anyone else

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn't talk/lie about how he used to sell crack and rob nigs and be comically violent and call women hoes and bytches enough maybe?

The 4 other dudes you mention got that for days in they shyt, :wow:

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
I’m that type of guy

nikka saw Darlene on ice T cover .. n told that nikka Tracy everything he would do to her

after that tracy became a new jack hustler n a cop killer lol

Air Nikes N Hats

Poor mans Johnny Football Lifestyle!
Daps
Reppin
SINY!!
LL is a GOAT to me.

The early records, the battles with Kool Moe Dee and Canibus. He was really one of the many pioneers in crossing over the Hollywood, the clothing line endorsements, etc.

Musically all his albums post-GOAT were leaned way to much toward the women tracks. Had he balanced these things better he would be higher on some peoples lists.

I’m curious as to how this Q-Tip produced album is going to sound. At this point in his career he’s got more than enough money. No need to chase sales, just make dope music.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
who was elite complexity? lol Most will say Rakim but...

"Nice big plate of fish which is my favorite dish, but without no money is still a wish??" ,

No 80's rapper was rapping complexed like most rappers that came in the 90's. Well maybe Kool G Rap or Masta Ace who got way better as the years passed..

You just cherry picked one line from Rakim. Come on.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because he raps for "women". But the craziest thing about the goat is once upon a time KRS, Slick Rick, Rakim, D.O.C., G Rap, Kane were goat contenders and they all faded away, but 2Pac and Biggie remain 30 years later. That's insane especially when neither were considered goats in life.
They died in their prime breh, becoming larger than life. That’s a legacy stimulus package.

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
Because he raps for "women". But the craziest thing about the goat is once upon a time KRS, Slick Rick, Rakim, D.O.C., G Rap, Kane were goat contenders and they all faded away, but 2Pac and Biggie remain 30 years later. That's insane especially when neither were considered goats in life.
as I've always said, crakkers are obsessed with dead celebrities and nikkas like what white folks want them to like. There are people who swear by 2pac and weren't even alive when he was killed and these same people will not even acknowledge living legends today until they die and then come the IG/twitter posts. Look at how Dilla become the GOAT after his death, but while he was living, damn near every hip hop magazine, including the same crackers, criticized him for Beats Rhymes & Life, The Love Movement, and Electric Circus. Crakas are obsessed with death. This is why they were going to Egypt digging up mummies during and ingesting it hundreds of years ago. I'm still baffled how Biggie with 2 fukking albums is considered a greatest of anything..