What did New York City used to be like?

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ahh: The New Look Fishbowl and the RTS. They don't get the respect they deserve for contributing to the atmosphere of the "old" NYC.

Now the city has been infiltrated by hipsters and hybrid buses. Hipster hybrids. :scusthov:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

The low floors are so bland and lame.

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
Real hood shyt B

An old pic of my current neighborhood.

I think it's from the 60s.

The pic looks like it was taken right from the block where I currently live.

sunsetpark55th4th.jpg

:what: nikka you live in midtown in the park avenue area? :wtf: get out of here with your rich ass you probably pay 3000 a month for a 2 bedroon apartment

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff

No personality. Even though the older buses all looked the same, depending on how they were tuned/maintained/driver/weather/time of day it was like a snowflake every bus sounded distinct. :ahh:

With all the GMs and TMCs gone and the Novas on their way out I don't even want to visit NYC anymore. The Jersey Novas are damn near extinct. :mindblown:

Toronto is Fishbowl free. Calgary's are holding on by a thread. RTS strongholds have gone the low floor route. Flxibles as a bus are pretty much DoDo status. Even the mid 90s buses are disappearing. Dark days are ahead for the hobby.

How is this related to NYC? The city is the heart and brain of the bus fan community. Now it's got cancer and heart disease. :to:

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Does anyone remember how the 4th of July used to by in NYC before Guliani. For me the 4th was just as big as Christmas. I grew up in Ozone Park and it was something special. I was a little kid and my Dad gave me firecrackers to play with, now a days kids are pussies. But we would play with that during the day, the adults would be shooting roman candles and bottle rockets at the buses lol. At night you would go to John Gotti's firework show on 101st ave if you could get near it. And after that you would go home and blow off your big stuff and all your neighbors had fireworks too. You could walk out your front door and your neighbors were selling fireworks. The next day there would still be a cloud of smoke over the neighborhood.

4th of july!! :gladbron:

I miss that shyt. You go to the corner store get jumping jacks, thunderbombs(i think thats what they were called), m80s and block busters :wow:, them shyts that was on the stick that whistled when it went in to the sky then popped. We used to break the sticks off of them and them shyts would fly all over the place. lol looking back that was crazy to do.

But I remember we used to take an m80 or a blockbuster, put it by the payphone then when the shyt blew up nikkaz had change for days. Buying candy, more firecrackers. :youngsabo:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No personality. Even though the older buses all looked the same, depending on how they were tuned/maintained/driver/weather/time of day it was like a snowflake every bus sounded distinct. :ahh:

With all the GMs and TMCs gone and the Novas on their way out I don't even want to visit NYC anymore. The Jersey Novas are damn near extinct. :mindblown:

Toronto is Fishbowl free. Calgary's are holding on by a thread. RTS strongholds have gone the low floor route. Flxibles as a bus are pretty much DoDo status. Even the mid 90s buses are disappearing. Dark days are ahead for the hobby.

How is this related to NYC? The city is the heart and brain of the bus fan community. Now it's got cancer and heart disease. :to:

Of course, and soon the Orions will be all gone as well.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Does anyone remember how the 4th of July used to by in NYC before Guliani. For me the 4th was just as big as Christmas. I grew up in Ozone Park and it was something special. I was a little kid and my Dad gave me firecrackers to play with, now a days kids are pussies. But we would play with that during the day, the adults would be shooting roman candles and bottle rockets at the buses lol. At night you would go to John Gotti's firework show on 101st ave if you could get near it. And after that you would go home and blow off your big stuff and all your neighbors had fireworks too. You could walk out your front door and your neighbors were selling fireworks. The next day there would still be a cloud of smoke over the neighborhood.

4th of July on the block would sound like the invasion of the Gulf War.

Like 80 roman candles that backfired then slammed you :youngsabo:

:pacspit: at 666 Giuliani

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Born '87 raised in Brooklyn Ave. Missed two years of BK sent to Haiti once Giuliani got into office so when I came back most of my memory is of post Giuliani clean up.

While it wasn't a clean place I never felt like I was in danger. I've been in fights (regular middle school drama) but nothing serious like getting jumped on the way home, never got robbed, etc.

Most of the horror stories come from mom and pop. My father was already in the Bronx late 70s and my mom came in early 80s and then they both moved to Brooklyn. Both of them were grateful for Giuliani though :pachaha:

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL

:ufdup:

You calling the C40LFs bland and lame :usure:

Those LF CNGs are :ahh:

Even the Orion ones, older ones with the DD50s, they are slow as the EPA ruined the DD50 engine by the time those buses came around, but I like them though, they make cool sound effects

Its sad as the 1999 - 2000 C40LFs are now being retired :to:

And the Orion V CNGs too :damn:

That backfire noise :noah:

These new C40s (Yes, NYC is buying new C40LF's in 2012 :flabbynsick:) are dope but they don't have the character that the old ones had, these new ones are and smooth and fast though :ahh:

Its crazy to imagine that someday there won't be any RTSs running in service in NYC, I remember in the 90s all the routes in my area had them, only non RTS buses I saw was the MCI classics.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ufdup:

You calling the C40LFs bland and lame :usure:

Those LF CNGs are :ahh:

Even the Orion ones, older ones with the DD50s, they are slow as the EPA ruined the DD50 engine by the time those buses came around, but I like them though, they make cool sound effects

Its sad as the 1999 - 2000 C40LFs are now being retired :to:

And the Orion V CNGs too :damn:

That backfire noise :noah:

These new C40s (Yes, NYC is buying new C40LF's in 2012 :flabbynsick:) are dope but they don't have the character that the old ones had, these new ones are and smooth and fast though :ahh:

Its crazy to imagine that someday there won't be any RTSs running in service in NYC, I remember in the 90s all the routes in my area had them, only non RTS buses I saw was the MCI classics.

Yes I am. They only good for old people. The Orions I will love forever along with the RTS, they are the culture and part of the fabric of what is NYC.

The hybrid light blue ones are just sooo hispter...

Pedro Negro

Reefer & Sneakers
Daps
Reppin
New York fukkin' City

4th ain't never been the same since.

Old classic Caddy pulls up with some random goombah calling kids over and handing out firework menus.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Who remembers the hooker scene over by the West Side Highway? OH MY GOD IT WAS RIDICULOUS. Over there by 11th and 12th avenues. Right by the Tunnel. From like 26th street up to 33rd. At its peak it could be 20 or 25 hookers on each block. Friday and Saturday nights. At 3am traffic around there was like rush hour because of them. You would see the pimps in the cut with purple suits on and big rides. They would charge like $20 or 25 for a blow job in your car. It was crazy...then Giuliani came and shut all that down.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who remembers the hooker scene over by the West Side Highway? OH MY GOD IT WAS RIDICULOUS. Over there by 11th and 12th avenues. Right by the Tunnel. From like 26th street up to 33rd. At its peak it could be 20 or 25 hookers on each block. Friday and Saturday nights. At 3am traffic around there was like rush hour because of them. You would see the pimps in the cut with purple suits on and big rides. They would charge like $20 or 25 for a blow job in your car. It was crazy...then Giuliani came and shut all that down.

Man I can't believe I missed this.

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
Downtown BK is still surprisingly hood as fukk, but I'm sure that's gonna change with Barclay's Center open.