What did New York City used to be like?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Gotta take a look at Mobb Depp

I was just joking man. NewYorkers are so defensive and take so much pride in their city to the point where they dont know where IT ends and they begin. I love harassing my cousins (from NY) about it

Depending on who you ask you'd think it's both the best place ever and the worst place ever.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Brooklyn in the 90s was :whoo:

Back then nikkas used to get they shyt pushed in for a starter jacket and jansport. I remember looking out my window and a nikka got off on the wrong stop on the Bus. nikka had on a Fresh Nautica Jacket, lo boots, and some guess jeans. Dude was food that day :birdman:

They put the beats on that man for a good 4 blocks. That nikka was running up the ave screaming "WHY DON'T Y'ALL nikkaS HELP :damn:" By the time they was done dude was in his boxers, wife beater, and 1 sock :heh:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Born '87 raised in Brooklyn Ave. Missed two years of BK sent to Haiti once Giuliani got into office so when I came back most of my memory is of post Giuliani clean up.

While it wasn't a clean place I never felt like I was in danger. I've been in fights (regular middle school drama) but nothing serious like getting jumped on the way home, never got robbed, etc.

Most of the horror stories come from mom and pop. My father was already in the Bronx late 70s and my mom came in early 80s and then they both moved to Brooklyn. Both of them were grateful for Giuliani though :pachaha:

Peace God, I was raised on Brooklyn Ave too. Brooklyn and Church. PS 181 to IS246 (Whitman) to E Hall. shyt was really real.

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
Gotta take a look at Mobb Depp

Hey old man, i know you from brooklyn, spill on the childhood stories.

I don't really have any war stories; wasn't about that life. I was more into hanging out in my other classmates' neighborhoods, although I did have fun in BK. I remember a HS classmate getting knocked out by a Decepticon because he was trying to spit game at dude's girlfriend.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To my true BK heads, who remebers that pizza shop in the middle Fulton that had crowds down the street, because it was the best pizza you ever had in your life. :deadrose: at them picking up and just leaving one day. Their cheese was godly :noah::wow::

And, remeber the big movie theatre on Fulton. I saw so many classics there. TNMT, Batman Returns, Adam's Family, Jurrassic Park, Lion King, The Mask, etc.

:pacspit: at these hipsters, they don't know the Brooklyn we grew up in :to:

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
I was just joking man. NewYorkers are so defensive and take so much pride in their city to the point where they dont know where IT ends and they begin. I love harassing my cousins (from NY) about it

Depending on who you ask you'd think it's both the best place ever and the worst place ever.

Only we can diss new york and say we hate it. No one else can :birdman:

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
To my true BK heads, who remebers that pizza shop in the middle Fulton that had crowds down the street, because it was the best pizza you ever had in your life. :deadrose: at them picking up and just leaving one day. Their cheese was godly :noah::wow::

And, remeber the big movie theatre on Fulton. I saw so many classics there. TNMT, Batman Returns, Adam's Family, Jurrassic Park, Lion King, The Mask, etc.

:pacspit: at these hipsters, they don't know the Brooklyn we grew up in :to:

I remember that pizza shop; my moms would take me there everytime I would go with her downtown shopping.

I used to live in that movie theater in Fulton Mall, what fun... I remember spitting game at the hoodrats in Albee Square Mall.

One food item I haven't had the chance to get on my trips back up top was the fried fish sandwiches from the Chinese dude. I always loved those. Three pieces of fried fish, tartar sauce, fries... :ahh:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't really have any war stories; wasn't about that life. I was more into hanging out in my other classmates' neighborhoods, although I did have fun in BK. I remember a HS classmate getting knocked out by a Decepticon because he was trying to spit game at dude's girlfriend.

:russ: Back when people did it with fist and not guns.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Grew up in brownsville in the 1990s. fukkin hell. crackhouses galore, nikkas getting mobbed on for their North Face jackets. Junkies roaming the streets like zombies begging for a dollar for that next fix.

:whoo: :to:

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
:russ: Back when people did it with fist and not guns.

It was really funny... I'll go into detail about the story. Me and my man was posted up outside the school last period, and we saw this gang of nikkas coming up DeKalb Ave. Immediately my man is like "let's go", and I'm like "nah, if we dip, them nikkas will chase after us"... So we stay outside the school, and these nikkas come up and start chilling outside the school too, on the same corner. Eventually the last class lets out, and we see this chick we know go up and kiss one of the dudes. So we was kinda like :ohhh: we ain't know she was messing with a Decep. But they stick around outside, they don't dip... So then this nikka Kevin comes out... Kevin was the kinda nikka who wouldn't take no for an answer from the females, and would think that his rap was strong. So I see a quick point of "that's him", and the Decepticon nikka approaches him. He's like "yo money (I know, I know... LOL), I hear you been trying to talk to my girl", and Kev looks like :what: "I ain't been trying to talk to your girl", and then when he saw who the girl was, he was like :why:.... What was funny was the exchange: dude was like "you trying to talk to my chick?" and son was like, "nah, man, no".... "Oh, you calling my girl a liar?".... "nah, man!" "So you WAS trying to talk to her!!" It ended with dude threatening him, "If I ever hear you thinking about trying to talk to her again, you gonna catch it..." And he was about to walk off and leave it at that... So for the life of me, why did this nikka Kev put his hand up like he wanted to give son dap. nikka looked at his hand, then looked at him, and dropped him with one shot to the jaw. Then he walked off telling his nikkas, "you see that nikka tried to give me a pound after I let him live?" We was rolling.

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Remember when nikkas in Harlem was getting shot and robbed over murms and shyt :wow:

Crazy times yo.

But on a different note, NY is still live as fukk. I dont know why people act like there was some great change. Music wise NY has only been cold since Fif fell off. Which was like 5 years ago.

Reason why the NY hip hop scene is stagnant is cuz of 50's goof ass. When he was on top. He literally brought down EVERY single Relevant NY Hip hop artist from EVERY borough over some beef shyt Ja Rule (Queens) Fat Joe (The Bronx) Cam (Harlem) Puff (Manhattan) Jay (Brooklyn) Jada (YO/914) .

The aftermath left a shattered and dis-unified city hip hop wise. Its slowly coming back together tho, give it 2 years NY gon be right back on track. The major problem with NY rap is ego's. Groups internally beefing with each other(Dipset,Roc,G-unit,Wu) , burroughs not fukking with each other etc.

But the younger generation aint on that bullshyt, mainly thanks to social media and the net. All NY need is a new batch of talent and we gon be right back.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Only we can diss new york and say we hate it. No one else can :birdman:

Obviously! :laugh:

I mean y'all made such a big deal out of it when Lil Wayne said he didnt "like New York". I swear i had never witnessed such an uproar over nothing in my life. Sh!t was being discussed on TV for 2 weeks. I lost all respect for this chick (from NY) i know over that sh!t. This brawd called me all upset over the sh!t and I'm like :huh:

And remember back in like 98 when NY cats were shooting at Kurrupt and Daz over the song dissing New York :laugh:

I mean i laugh and all but nothing funny over young black men killing each other over some turf war bullshyt

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Remember when nikkas in Harlem was getting shot and robbed over murms and shyt :wow:

Crazy times yo.

But on a different note, NY is still live as fukk. I dont know why people act like there was some great change. Music wise NY has only been cold since Fif fell off. Which was like 5 years ago.

Reason why the NY hip hop scene is stagnant is cuz of 50's goof ass. When he was on top. He literally brought down EVERY single Relevant NY Hip hop artist from EVERY borough over some beef shyt Ja Rule (Queens) Fat Joe (The Bronx) Cam (Harlem) Puff (Manhattan) Jay (Brooklyn) Jada (YO/914) .

The aftermath left a shattered and dis-unified city hip hop wise. Its slowly coming back together tho, give it 2 years NY gon be right back on track. The major problem with NY rap is ego's. Groups internally beefing with each other(Dipset,Roc,G-unit,Wu) , burroughs not fukking with each other etc.

But the younger generation aint on that bullshyt, mainly thanks to social media and the net. All NY need is a new batch of talent and we gon be right back.

Your sound got outdated, nothing to do with 50/burroughs not fukking with each over.