What did New York City used to be like?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I think crime overall violent crime has fallen in a lot of the major cities. Which is a good thing in my opinion. But you will always have the wannabethug types who love that sh!t tho.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was really funny... I'll go into detail about the story. Me and my man was posted up outside the school last period, and we saw this gang of nikkas coming up DeKalb Ave. Immediately my man is like "let's go", and I'm like "nah, if we dip, them nikkas will chase after us"... So we stay outside the school, and these nikkas come up and start chilling outside the school too, on the same corner. Eventually the last class lets out, and we see this chick we know go up and kiss one of the dudes. So we was kinda like :ohhh: we ain't know she was messing with a Decep. But they stick around outside, they don't dip... So then this nikka Kevin comes out... Kevin was the kinda nikka who wouldn't take no for an answer from the females, and would think that his rap was strong. So I see a quick point of "that's him", and the Decepticon nikka approaches him. He's like "yo money (I know, I know... LOL), I hear you been trying to talk to my girl", and Kev looks like :what: "I ain't been trying to talk to your girl", and then when he saw who the girl was, he was like :why:.... What was funny was the exchange: dude was like "you trying to talk to my chick?" and son was like, "nah, man, no".... "Oh, you calling my girl a liar?".... "nah, man!" "So you WAS trying to talk to her!!" It ended with dude threatening him, "If I ever hear you thinking about trying to talk to her again, you gonna catch it..." And he was about to walk off and leave it at that... So for the life of me, why did this nikka Kev put his hand up like he wanted to give son dap. nikka looked at his hand, then looked at him, and dropped him with one shot to the jaw. Then he walked off telling his nikkas, "you see that nikka tried to give me a pound after I let him live?" We was rolling.
:laugh: The last part tho, "I let him live!" :laugh:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I think crime overall violent crime has fallen in a lot of the major cities. Which is a good thing in my opinion. But you will always have the wannabethug types who love that sh!t tho.

There are definitely parts of the city that haven't changed all that much. There are hoods in Staten Island and the Bronx that are tucked away that seem like they are stuck in a time warp. Gentrification didn't touch some spots at all and any idea for development has been ignored there.

Most of these cleaned up areas are the ones that have close access to Manhattan (LIC,Astoria, Fort Green, parts of Bed Stuy etc). And I would never ever ever live in Brownsville, Far Rockaway or buy a place there.

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Your sound got outdated, nothing to do with 50/burroughs not fukking with each over.

:stopitslime:

Just like every other region sound got outdated, and with time came with a new sound. You are not out here so you dont know what you are talking about. Harry Fraud,Alc,Clams, Lee Beats, Cashe-n-Cash and many others supply the underground NY hip hop scene with heat. The same heat you hear on the radio

:heh: if you think the young and upcomming rappers out here are rapping over Dj Premier Boom Bap Beats or about Timbs and razor blades under the mouth.

The problem is its hard to get local buzz cuz boroughs historically dont fukk with each other. You may be the man in the Queens. But Brooklyn nikkas will straight up laugh at your shyt. When back in the day there was a legit hip hop community and platform across the whole city.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Just watch New York Undercover repeats, they matched the vibe pretty well along with the music they used to play during the scenes.
Malik Yoba was trying to bring it back, but it wouldnt even be the same. Imagine today's music that would play during scenes :scusthov:

chasing a group of hipsters in Abercrombie stealing sunglasses from Macy's with Drake playing in the background isn't as compelling television as chasing down hood murderers in bubble gooses to Mobb Deep music

:laugh:

Drake woulda worked well whenever Torres and Moreno would get together

Rick Ross performing at Natalie's though :win:

Depending on who you ask you'd think it's both the best place ever and the worst place ever.

New York: the city I love and hate equally- Jimmy Breslin

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There are definitely parts of the city that haven't changed all that much. There are hoods in Staten Island and the Bronx that are tucked away that seem like they are stuck in a time warp. Gentrification didn't touch some spots at all and any idea for development has been ignored there.

Most of these cleaned up areas are the ones that have close access to Manhattan (LIC,Astoria, Fort Green, parts of Bed Stuy etc). And I would never ever ever live in Brownsville, Far Rockaway or buy a place there.

Subway to Staten Island to fix those problems?

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Yes I am. They only good for old people. The Orions I will love forever along with the RTS, they are the culture and part of the fabric of what is NYC.

The hybrid light blue ones are just sooo hispter...

They're rebuilding some of the 96 Novas. :ahh:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know...they do have a train in SI that's free.

But if you're familiar with Richmond Terrace...you'll see it's not even worth it. The whole area is decrepid.

Richmond Terrace is awful. From what I hear. I though the north shore was getting light rail?

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Just like every other region sound got outdated.

True.

and with time came with a new sound.

True. It's just that ny don't have a new sound yet.

You are not out here so you dont know what you are talking about.

I stayed in for ny nearly a decade and I go back n fourth regularly. And Im young (20) so I probably know more than you. Maybe you know more about the underground scene but that young black club what's popping in the hood shyt, I know more than you. A few older ny heads were tryna claim keef had no buzz in ny :heh: It's not their fault doe, how would they know.

Fraud,Alc,Clams, Lee Beats, Cashe-n-Cash and many others supply the underground NY hip hop scene with heat. The same heat you hear on the radio

Most of these underground cats have no buzz on the streets.

The problem is its hard to get local buzz cuz boroughs historically dont fukk with each other. You may be the man in the Queens. But Brooklyn nikkas will straight up laugh at your shyt. When back in the day there was a legit hip hop community and platform across the whole city.

Again....I honestly think yall ny nikkaz exaggerate this hate between boroughs :laugh: New york (or LA) is probably the most competitive place in the world with the most competitive people. That never stopped em in 97,98,99,00 etc

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Peace God, I was raised on Brooklyn Ave too. Brooklyn and Church. PS 181 to IS246 (Whitman) to E Hall. shyt was really real.

:laugh: I went to PS 161. Went to IS 285. Then I went to E-Hall too. When I was there it was split into 3 schools. I was on the science and math side.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Richmond Terrace is awful. From what I hear. I though the north shore was getting light rail?

The North Shore is getting a busway, basically a bus route will have its own road on the ROW without cars, IMO its the worst option out of the three (Other two was light rail or something similar to the one train line that's already on SI).

I mean the slightest hint of snow or slush will throw that bus service in the bushes, usually only major blizzards knock out rail service in NYC.

Bus service is more venerable to inclement winter weather than rail service.

Part of the reason I'm :pacspit: at this busway idea

I don't know...they do have a train in SI that's free.

You have to pay at the Ferry Station, where most of the people who ride that line get on/off at, and the stop before it too so people can't off one stop early and walk to the ferry to beat the fare. :pachaha:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The North Shore is getting a busway, basically a bus route will have its own road on the ROW without cars, IMO its the worst option out of the three (Other two was light rail or something similar to the one train line that's already on SI).

I mean the slightest hint of snow or slush will throw that bus service in the bushes, usually only major blizzards knock out rail service in NYC.

Bus service is more venerable to inclement winter weather than rail service.

Part of the reason I'm :pacspit: at this busway idea

You have to pay at the Ferry Station, where most of the people who ride that line get on/off at, and the stop before it too so people can't off one stop early and walk to the ferry to beat the fare. :pachaha:

The North of SI should get the R extended IMO. Or the G.