We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Training Day and Selma are two RADICALLY different movies...

As I said before, Fuqua is serviceable. I don't even mean that as a diss, but there's nothing really "special" or unique about him. He doesn't bring anything to the table that guarantees any type of quality. He NEEDS a strong script and strong actors to breathe life into his movies.

Ava has proven with Selma that she can direct something powerful, she DAMN sure put Black Excellence into every frame of that film, and THATS what most excites me about her "possibly" taking on this film. When I see T'Challa, I want to see that same aura of excellence, opulence, and intelligence that shone through whenever David Oyelewo was on screen. That feeling of integrity and regality, of PURPOSE. Ava shot that movie to make MLK human, but full of pride and passion for his goals and intentions. People are saying they want T'Challa portrayed as more "Malcolm than Martin" WITHOUT giving the proper respects to the militancy that MLK DID exhibit (in his own manner) and the courage and eloquence that he displayed in his words and actions. MLK was NOBODY's bytch and Ava got that across perfectly
:patrice:

I haven't watched Selma... and I don't really pay attention to any of this whos who of directors crap.. but I am someone who has been defending and stanning black panther heroic excellence on this board for years... and have noticed the work you've put in in your own right when it comes to him and helping shine light on a lot of the bullshyt and maltreatment when it comes to black media portrayals in general... so if you're telling me that this woman can bring black excellence to the screen for the greatest black male superhero not named John Stewart... then she has my support. :manny:.... :salute:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It is what is though. EVERY MCU film has to connect with the overall mythos of the phases. I think at THIS point every writer/director should know that. In a perfect situation her "voice" wouldn't be stymied it would just have to work alongside the bigger picture. Marvel hasn't really gone wrong yet so I'd trust they'd know exactly what their building towards. I don't think they want a complete "yes man" director or they wouldn't be wanting directors like Ava, Whedon, Wright, etc in the first place.

But if you want to play in the sandbox you have to go by certain rules.

I want a kick-ass BP at the end of the day. He's my all time favorite superhero im planning on seeing this movie multiple times during its theatrical run. I want a black director, black writers, as many black people as possible helping to bring this BLACK HERO to life and I'm going to support the shyt out of it.

But I'm not naive as to think Marvel is going to dump 150 Million in her lap and say "have fun", what I want for her is what James Gunn, Whedon, and the Russo brothers accomplished, as that's that their vision was realized AS WELL as Marvel's

I'm not saying don't play in the sandbox. I'm saying allow the director to still maintain their voice. The one problem I have with marvel films is that they all for the most part feel the same and a lot of times follow the same structure plot wise. The ones I love are the ones that break away from that even if it's a little and maintain the voice of the creator. It should be the same as a comic writer. Hickman doesn't sound like slott who doesn't sound like waid but they all contribute to one continuity. I love comics but I love movies too and as someone who loves movies that's the part of their process that I absolutely hate. The sameness, the milquetoast look, etc. I know not everyone loves iron man 3 but I do and partly because it doesn't feel like a marvel film; it feels like a Shane black flick. Guardians felt like both a James gunn flick and a marvel flick. And even with age of ultron a lot of joss was in it but he was clearly chaffing and ready to bounce because it's constrictive for a really creative person; there's a reason a lot of their hires are one and done or come from the world of television because they're used to working in that space where you have a showrunner and everyone follows his lead without putting any of their personality or stamp on it

Even the Bond franchise, which is producer driven just like marvel, allows their directors to let their voices come through. Same with mission impossible: none of the four movies feel or look the same and that's because different directors are allowed to put their stamp on it along with different writers and it's still cohesive and coherent much like Bond was pre reboot and seemingly will continue to be post reboot

Last edited:

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
I'm well aware of Black Panther and that his OG love interest was Monica Lynne and I have NO issue with him having a love interest, it just seems like people are grasping at straws to argue why Ava isn't a good idea for the film and quite frankly it's stupid as hell
never said it was a bad idea i just know she hasnt dealt with action scenes and the last "known" person i know that didnt deal with action before fukking with a comic book movie was ol boy that did them TASM movies and them shyts were fukking awful action wise

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I never get why people were so happy with the Black Panther/Storm pairing. shyt was completely forced because they had zero history and is genuinely on par with whenever they randomly make a hero gay. And of course there was the whole way they broke up the marriage with T'Challa literally begging Storm not to fukk Logan, which she then did of course right of the bat, because if there's one thing writers at Marvel love it's turning the X-women into thot jump-offs.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I never get why people were so happy with the Black Panther/Storm pairing. shyt was completely forced because they had zero history and is genuinely on par with whenever they randomly make a hero gay. And of course there was the whole way they broke up the marriage with T'Challa literally begging Storm not to fukk Logan, which she then did of course right of the bat, because if there's one thing writers at Marvel love it's turning the X-women into thot jump-offs.

If you've read the comics BP/Storm do indeed have legit romantic history, they DID beef it up for the Marriage arc though.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I never get why people were so happy with the Black Panther/Storm pairing. shyt was completely forced because they had zero history and is genuinely on par with whenever they randomly make a hero gay.

C'mon fam they did have history:

- First met in the Marvel Team Up back in the 80s.

- Then met again during the Priest run and had a thing going for a bit. Priest hoped to married them together but Marvel said no at the time.

- Then Hudlin came in and, for whatever reason, Marvel OK'd the move.

You can argue that the beginning of their marriage wasn't as well written as it could've been (I had my grips about the early stages of that, but it got much better as time went on). But to say they had zero history whatsoever is simply false.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Keep Oreo Monroe far away from the Black Panther movie and let her stay on the X-plantation to keep being third and forth and even a fifth rated character their and im good. fukk all apologist, aint no way in hell a wm's sidepeiece should be a black mans queen. fukk Storm and the Xoffice :pacspit:

Last edited:

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
It is what is though. EVERY MCU film has to connect with the overall mythos of the phases. I think at THIS point every writer/director should know that. In a perfect situation her "voice" wouldn't be stymied it would just have to work alongside the bigger picture. Marvel hasn't really gone wrong yet so I'd trust they'd know exactly what their building towards. I don't think they want a complete "yes man" director or they wouldn't be wanting directors like Ava, Whedon, Wright, etc in the first place.

But if you want to play in the sandbox you have to go by certain rules.

I want a kick-ass BP at the end of the day. He's my all time favorite superhero im planning on seeing this movie multiple times during its theatrical run. I want a black director, black writers, as many black people as possible helping to bring this BLACK HERO to life and I'm going to support the shyt out of it.

But I'm not naive as to think Marvel is going to dump 150 Million in her lap and say "have fun", what I want for her is what James Gunn, Whedon, and the Russo brothers accomplished, as that's that their vision was realized AS WELL as Marvel's
Black panther is owned and created by whites :mindblown: Its fallacious to say that mostly black talent can be brought in for this film while somen of them arent dven comic book readers.

I can see we're talking about a Static Shock film....but this is Black panther we're talking Bout here.

Is the director even a comicbook reader?? Does she know anything about the Black Panther mythos?? Was she reading the mythos growing up? Is she passionate about bringing a respectable, strong, intelligent, black man on the screen without being a simp and bowing down to the white man and white society? Or was she just plucked out of thin air because of her skin tone. :upsetfavre:

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Officially speaking Nolans batman's aren't considered DCCU so MoS is the only film that qualifies. So again I ask you are basing your opinion off of 1 movie and a shaky one at that :francis:
MoS >>>>anything Marvel has put out sans Winter Soldier. I can watch MoS repeatedly. I cannot say the same for the rest of the Marvel films (sans Blade 1 and 2 and WS) which were one and done for me.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
but you DO KNOW that they have to somehow gear the shyt towards kids right?
fukk that. Kids wont understand pseudo-political flicks anyways if they are going for the Priest run comics for their basis. Blade franchise wasnt geared towards kids. I dont wanna see T'challa shucking and jiving for cheap laughs, or acting drunk in parties like Tony. Hell the nikka shouldnt even crack a smile at all, YES I WANT A SCARY ANGRY BLACK man for the film that strikes FEAR in the hearts of the west. But knowing Disney hes going to be some spear-chucking Tarzan-esque yessa boss with many questionable scenes.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Hudlin was a hack. They meet in the past and there were hints but nothing past that. Hudlin came onto the book and threw bp's love interest since the 60's to the side to push the storm shyt and had them get married after 10 issues. I don't know how someone that says they like bp or read his older books like that shyt.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Cheesy

I don't doubt she'll do an exceptional job (if she stays the course) but you won't see a white anything direct an Oscar bait biopic of a historical revolutionary then do a comic book movie next outing. Only with blax, post racial America y'all :mjcry: