We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
See that's the point I don't get. A bunch of his mythos weren't made by black creators so why does the person need to be black?

I know a bunch of posters will say shyt about c00nery without making a solid reply to my post but whatever.

Its a want not a need

Breh no one is saying the director HAS to be black, I even said they can look at anyone and there's a chance they are doing just that.

But it shouldn't surprise you at all that they look for a director who's black to do this AND that they are many that prefer the director to be black, regardless that BP's creators and some of his writers were white.

Again, do I mind a non-black director being in charge if he/she is the best choice? No. Is there anything wrong with them looking for a black director? No. Doesn't having a black director mean automatically there was someone better out there or the black director wasn't the best choice? No.

Quick question, who are your top 3 choices for directing the BP film? And have you had those same grievances you've mentioned for the previous Marvel films, who all had white males at the helm?

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Breh no one is saying the director HAS to be black, I even said they can look at anyone and there's a chance they are doing just that.

But it shouldn't surprise you at all that they look for a director who's black to do this AND that they are many that prefer the director to be black, regardless that BP's creators and some of his writers were white.

Again, do I mind a non-black director being in charge if he/she is the best choice? No. Is there anything wrong with them looking for a black director? No. Doesn't having a black director mean automatically there was someone better out there or the black director wasn't the best choice? No.

Quick question, who are your top 3 choices for directing the BP film? And have you had those same grievances you've mentioned for the previous Marvel films, who all had white males at the helm?
What grievances are you talking about? All I'm saying is that it doesn't NEED to be a black director. You never see anyone say that Thor, Cap and the rest need white directors that's why I never say the same shyt.

Saying BP NEEDs a black director is as silly as saying Thor needs a european director because he's based on Norse mythology.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
@Bigbigguy , to add on to my previous post and explain further why many here and elsewhere may prefer a black director:

Look at the history of BP's writers in the comics. IMO, it's not too much of a surprise or a coincidence that BP's black writers (Priest, Hudlin, McDuffie) pretty much DON'T chump him out. If anything, many (mostly white) comic book fans argued during their respective runs that Panther was either "too much like batman (prep time, which Batman got from BP)" "overpowered" "Mary sue" etc.

With the white writers outside of Kirby, Liss, McGregor, and Geoff Johns's Avenger run, you either saw major chumping, deconstruction, or completely fukkery at BP's expense.

Of course, this doesn't automatically mean that a black director will do a great job or that a white director would chump out the character. And again, if the best person for the job ends up being non-black, so be it. But those that prefer a black director--without condoning or condemning them for that--I understand.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
What grievances are you talking about? All I'm saying is that it doesn't NEED to be a black director. You never see anyone say that Thor, Cap and the rest need white directors that's why I never say the same shyt.

Saying BP NEEDs a black director is as silly as saying Thor needs a european director because he's based on Norse mythology.

We agree that the movie doesn't need a black director, I've already said that.

By grievances: you are pushing back at the the idea that the BP movie needs a black director, which is fine. Meanwhile, both in the coli and elsewhere, I don't hear much of a peep about white directors being at the helm of all the previous Marvel movies, which Happened to have white leads and most all white casts.

Edit: BTW, who are your top 3 choices to direct the BP film?

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
@Bigbigguy , to add on to my previous post and explain further why many here and elsewhere may prefer a black director:

Look at the history of BP's writers in the comics. IMO, it's not too much of a surprise or a coincidence that BP's black writers (Priest, Hudlin, McDuffie) pretty much DON'T chump him out. If anything, many (mostly white) comic book fans argued during their respective runs that Panther was either "too much like batman (prep time, which Batman got from BP)" "overpowered" "Mary sue" etc.

With the white writers outside of Kirby, Liss, McGregor, and Geoff Johns's Avenger run, you either saw major chumping, deconstruction, or completely fukkery at BP's expense.

Of course, this doesn't automatically mean that a black director will do a great job or that a white director would chump out the character. And again, if the best person for the job ends up being non-black, so be it. But those that prefer a black director--without condoning or condemning them for that--I understand.
Priest wrote him great but even he deconstructed him with the aneurysm and having him be replaced by Kasper Cole, Mcduffie wrote a great BP in his Fantastic Four and Deathlok books but Hudlin was trash and did write him like a mary sue. Anything someone has against BP likely came from the Hudlin run and he did the worst deconstruction by having stupidly go to doom without a plan and get crippled only to get replaced by his terrible retcon sister.
What writers are you talking about I know Shooter, Bendis and Roy Thomas at times wrote him badly in Avengers but I can't think of anyone else besides the guy that took over after Hudlin that did that.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
We agree that the movie doesn't need a black director, I've already said that.

By grievances: you are pushing back at the the idea that the BP movie needs a black director, which is fine. Meanwhile, both in the coli and elsewhere, I don't hear much of a peep about white directors being at the helm of all the previous Marvel movies, which Happened to have white leads and most all white casts.

Edit: BTW, who are your top 3 choices to direct the BP film?
I don't have a top 3 list, I just want someone with more hits than misses and a decent catalog.

For what its worth I wouldn't mind seeing f gary gray on the movie.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I don't have a top 3 list, I just want someone with more hits than misses and a decent catalog.

For what its worth I wouldn't mind seeing f gary gray on the movie.

Apparently he was supposed to do Winter Soldier, but passed up on it. Which worked out very well, the Russo bros did a great job.

Low key wouldn't mind the Russo bros doing it if they were available.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Priest wrote him great but even he deconstructed him with the aneurysm and having him be replaced by Kasper Cole, Mcduffie wrote a great BP in his Fantastic Four and Deathlok books but Hudlin was trash and did write him like a mary sue. Anything someone has against BP likely came from the Hudlin run and he did the worst deconstruction by having stupidly go to doom without a plan and get crippled only to get replaced by his terrible retcon sister.
What writers are you talking about I know Shooter, Bendis and Roy Thomas at times wrote him badly in Avengers but I can't think of anyone else besides the guy that took over after Hudlin that did that.

a fair point on the aneurysm and kasper cole, but overall I feel the Priest run was very solid imo.

Agreed with McDuffie.

Hudlin, we'll have to agree to disagree with that one. Started off weak overall but got better as time went on. I didn't mind him being "Mary sue" during that run. I like Shuri. And the "deadliest of a species" book was a great read (Mayberry takes over after that I think).

The other writers? Those you mentioned plus Aaron (AvX), Mayberry (Doomwar), and Hickman (New Avengers). Haven't read Secret Wars however.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
a fair point on the aneurysm and kasper cole, but overall I feel the Priest run was very solid imo.

Agreed with McDuffie.

Hudlin, we'll have to agree to disagree with that one. Started off weak overall but got better as time went on. I didn't mind him being "Mary sue" during that run. I like Shuri. And the "deadliest of a species" book was a great read (Mayberry takes over after that I think).

The other writers? Those you mentioned plus Aaron (AvX), Mayberry (Doomwar), and Hickman (New Avengers). Haven't read Secret Wars however.
Aaron's AvX was just AvX trash, everything associated with that event was bad. He has written BP great elsewhere though.
I agree with Mayberry but I disagree with you about Hickman. He has written the best BP since Priest IMO.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
dont know how i feel about this....sure she'll prolly put us black folk in a positive light but wat about the fights? and this shyt better be as militant as it fukking gets :ufdup: and T'Challa better be more malcolm than martin too :boloufdup:...should've gave this to my nicca antoine fuqua

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
dont know how i feel about this....sure she'll prolly put us black folk in a positive light but wat about the fights? and this shyt better be as militant as it fukking gets :ufdup: and T'Challa better be more malcolm than martin too :boloufdup:...should've gave this to my nicca antoine fuqua

You really think a movie made by Disney is going to be more Malcolm than Martin?

And she's a much better director than him breh and that's just off of one flick

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
You really think a movie made by Disney is going to be more Malcolm than Martin?

And she's a much better director than him breh and that's just off of one flick
it doesnt have to be more malcolm in what BP does but more of his ideals and "i only care about my ppl" attitude....and gtfoh with that last statement til i see this woman directs a action sequence :camby: