We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Grant it I haven't read through the whole thread so I haven't seen that argument breh so I can't speak for it but for me, I've stated before: She's an awesome pick for it but I want them to let her use HER voice and find the best way her voice fits in with what they do rather than trumping their voice with hers because she deserves a lot better than that.

Secondly, I'm still torn on the idea of "hey you're a black woman, so we got black panther and captain marvel for you since you're black and a woman" which rubs me the wrong way. As a director, let alone a black one and a female, she should be able to get any damn job she wants because she's shown she's got the chops and I don't want her to be pigeonholed. And I know that's the place I'm coming from and some other cats. It's not about c00ning or any shyt like that, it's about exploring it from all angles rather than just saying "awesome!" and not thinking critically

You are one of the more credible posters on these forums and I respect your opinion but there HAS to be a beginning and if the true beginning to diversity in something as financially lucrative and universally renowned as the MCU is Ava directing Black Panther then I can't see how this could possibly be bad.

If Ava directs Black Panther and it is even half as critically acclaimed as Selma, that's a win. A win for the character, for her career, for other minority directors both male and female.

Daps
Wassup u niccas sayin it aint gone be good cuz of her willin to take a 3day ban challenge?

Movie was good yall get banned for 3 days if it wasnt I do :pacspit: RUStillDown?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You are one of the more credible posters on these forums and I respect your opinion but there HAS to be a beginning and if the true beginning to diversity in something as financially lucrative and universally renowned as the MCU is Ava directing Black Panther then I can't see how this could possibly be bad.

If Ava directs Black Panther and it is even half as critically acclaimed as Selma, that's a win. A win for the character, for her career, for other minority directors both male and female.

Oh I agree..again that's why I'm torn. I'm not saying you or any other brother or sister has to feel how I feel; it's a personal thing with me as far as what may or may not going on behind the scenes, my feelings on black directors getting pigeonholed as they can only tell stories about black people, and of course her just being stymied by Marvel which I'd hate to see happen. How I feel doesn't mean you or anyone else has to feel that way, because I see both sides of it. I see what you're saying and I agree but there's also another part of me that sees another side to it.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
He got fukked over with King Arthur (his Directors Cut is MUCH better) and I liked The Equalizer. Olympus Has Fallen was just "aight"' to me...

See I didn't like the equalizer and enjoyed olympus has fallen. Like I said, he's ok, not great but there's nothing wrong with that

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
See I didn't like the equalizer and enjoyed olympus has fallen. Like I said, he's ok, not great but there's nothing wrong with that

I didn't NOT like Olympus Has Fallen it was just kind of meh. I'll agree that Equalizer WITHOUT Denzel is more than likely just an average flick, but I enjoyed it for what it was...

Fuqua is a director that needs the RIGHT script and RIGHT actors to stick the landing. He's the definition of "serviceable" director.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I didn't NOT like Olympus Has Fallen it was just kind of meh. I'll agree that Equalizer WITHOUT Denzel is more than likely just an average flick, but I enjoyed it for what it was...

Fuqua is a director that needs the RIGHT script and RIGHT actors to stick the landing. He's the definition of "serviceable" director.

Yup I agree.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
i hope this happens...in fact I don't think I could even go see this movie if it doesn't...

a black woman who made a historical films about blacks in which they actually stood up for themselves and didn't need a white knight to come in and save them...you know...like what happened in real life...directing a movie about a black super hero...probably THE black superhero...

And people in this thread talking about "has she done any action movies":yeah ok:

Need to change the name of this site to the c00nli...or the cacli...:yeah ok:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Grant it I haven't read through the whole thread so I haven't seen that argument breh so I can't speak for it but for me, I've stated before: She's an awesome pick for it but I want them to let her use HER voice and find the best way her voice fits in with what they do rather than trumping their voice with hers because she deserves a lot better than that.

Secondly, I'm still torn on the idea of "hey you're a black woman, so we got black panther and captain marvel for you since you're black and a woman" which rubs me the wrong way. As a director, let alone a black one and a female, she should be able to get any damn job she wants because she's shown she's got the chops and I don't want her to be pigeonholed. And I know that's the place I'm coming from and some other cats. It's not about c00ning or any shyt like that, it's about exploring it from all angles rather than just saying "awesome!" and not thinking critically

There is no better platform for Ava to showcase her talent than a Black Panther movie...

She has already proven she can do great independent work...she has already proven she can do great historical and biopic work...now all she needs is the chance to do a big time blockbuster movie...

I look at it from the perspective of...without this movie white execs can tell her "well ava you have never done a movie on this scale with this budget that needs to make this type of money"....if she does direct it and it makes bank...and it will make bank...then she can tell them "actually i directed the largest black superhero movie ever and it made xxx amount of money so yeah...yeah i have done a movie on that scale with that budget and had that success..."

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
There is no better platform for Ava to showcase her talent than a Black Panther movie...

She has already proven she can do great independent work...she has already proven she can do great historical and biopic work...now all she needs is the chance to do a big time blockbuster movie...

I look at it from the perspective of...without this movie white execs can tell her "well ava you have never done a movie on this scale with this budget that needs to make this type of money"....if she does direct it and it makes bank...and it will make bank...then she can tell them "actually i directed the largest black superhero movie ever and it made xxx amount of money so yeah...yeah i have done a movie on that scale with that budget and had that success..."

I agree but I also say she could do that same thing with any comic book or action movie property because she has a voice and that's what's needed in good storytelling. It could be this it could be spider man it could be captain marvel it could be die hard 6 for that matter. Skill is skill

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I can't believe so many of yall in here talking about why not Antoine Fuqua... :snoop:

If yall really trying to replace an award-winning Black director with a man who only does one type of action movie with little depth and doesn't even have full-on classics... :snoop:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but Training Day aint a classic now:childplease:? Equalizer wasn't a good movie with some good action?Olympus Has Fallen had some okay action scenes:manny:

I know she got an award for Selma but chill homie:whoa:

Sounds like she's never directed a action movie so who knows if she can make the transition or not,at the end of the day if she's not gon have control what does it really matter?If the studio wants the movie to be cac friendly and easier to digest for the mainstream the script is what I'd be more worried about and whether or not she has much power if any to change it.

Its okay to be skeptical and wonder if they want a black face just so they can get away with watering the shyt down then when complaints come they can say "Welp we put a black person in charge:smugfavre:"...I don't think people are upset about her just being black:comeon:...I think its people questioning the motives of Marvel,maybe we being too paranoid and they just doing a nice thing by putting somebody black at the helm in a position of power on the movie...Maybe some of yall not being skeptical enough like you usually are about everything else around here:mjlol: