We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
"B-b-b-but it's kinda racist/sexist they're only offering her the black superhero and the female superhero movie, why can't she do Spider-Man..."

VM51blW.gif

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Oh I agree..again that's why I'm torn. I'm not saying you or any other brother or sister has to feel how I feel; it's a personal thing with me as far as what may or may not going on behind the scenes, my feelings on black directors getting pigeonholed as they can only tell stories about black people, and of course her just being stymied by Marvel which I'd hate to see happen. How I feel doesn't mean you or anyone else has to feel that way, because I see both sides of it. I see what you're saying and I agree but there's also another part of me that sees another side to it.

While I can see what you're saying with that, I don't think it's going that way at all and all in all, most of the big name black directors have done movies that weren't just about black people (if they even had any at all at that), so I don't really think pigeonholing has anything to do with this choice. However, for a movie about a character like this, I'd most certainly prefer it to done by a black director and I think everyone and their momma that has any knowledge of the character feels just the same, even if they were white, in order to get it right. Doesn't mean that a black director is guaranteed to make this movie successfully or that any other race director is auto-doomed, but I definitely believe the chances are more in favor for sure.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Wait until Adolf Feige lays the hammer down. Any reputable director will dip quick.
Feige innovated movies with the shared universe concept which many studios are copying. get in line with his vision or keep it moving.
'In Feige we Trust'. <- that's a thing you know. lol

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Nah, BP stories are serious and political, not like Spiderman who goes around telling jokes. Or Thor who is alien prince with a funny medieval accent we dont understand.

T'Challa is Marvel's Batman without the bafoonery of a niave Bruce Wayne. Its SUPPOSED to be taken serious. I cAnt take Tchalla serious if hes in battle making jokes and shyt, thats out of character.
There were jokes in every issue of Priest's run. Funny enough the Marvel tone fits the character well.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Oh I agree..again that's why I'm torn. I'm not saying you or any other brother or sister has to feel how I feel; it's a personal thing with me as far as what may or may not going on behind the scenes, my feelings on black directors getting pigeonholed as they can only tell stories about black people, and of course her just being stymied by Marvel which I'd hate to see happen. How I feel doesn't mean you or anyone else has to feel that way, because I see both sides of it. I see what you're saying and I agree but there's also another part of me that sees another side to it.
That's what Marvel have been doing with black comic writers too. They only get black writers to write black characters regardless if its a good fit. Priest left the comics business because they only put him on black books.

The fact that Ava is only being considered for the "Diversity" movies should annoy everyone. Maybe its because I've been seeing Marvel do this shyt for years that's turning me off with this.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That's what Marvel have been doing with black comic writers too. They only get black writers to write black characters regardless if its a good fit. Priest left the comics business because they only put him on black books.

The fact that Ava is only being considered for the "Diversity" movies should annoy everyone. Maybe its because I've been seeing Marvel do this shyt for years that's turning me off with this.

Seen them do the same shyt which is why I'm partially annoyed.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

Marvel's been doing this on the comic front and will probably continue doing so in the MCU, exceptions aside. That won't change anytime soon, no point hoping otherwise.

Regardless, the focus here is the BP movie. We all want a great BP film to happen. And considering the nature of the character and its mythos, it makes perfect sense for them to look into a director who's black that can do the job up to standard. Obviously they won't just pick anybody.

Sure they can look at anyone regardless of background, and maybe they are, it's all rumors at this point. But if a director who's black is picked, it doesn't mean he / she isn't the best person for the job.

Last edited:

TRIPLE M

This is Where the Power Lies
Daps
id rather see an experienced action director

if they want a black director who's not a big name,shyt id consider michael jai white to direct:ehh:

look what hes done with small budgets
he deserves a shot

and the fight scenes with tchalla would be on point:Hulk Hogan You FD Up:

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal

I understand your pov on the bolded but at the same time Im happy the sister is getting a chance to join the marvel universe and I wouldn't be comfortable seeing a cacs version of wakanda tbh

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Marvel's been doing this on the comic front and will probably continue doing so in the MCU, exceptions aside. That won't change anytime soon, no point hoping otherwise.

Regardless, the focus here is the BP movie. We all want a great BP film to happen. And considering the nature of the character and its mythos, it makes perfect sense for them to look into a director who's black that can do the job up to standard. Obviously they won't just pick anybody.

Sure they can look at anyone regardless of background, and maybe they are, it's all rumors at this point. But if a director who's black is picked, it doesn't mean he / she isn't the best person for the job.

See that's the point I don't get. A bunch of his mythos weren't made by black creators so why does the person need to be black?

I know a bunch of posters will say shyt about c00nery without making a solid reply to my post but whatever.

Its a want not a need