We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Never said that; just pointing out that DC/WB tends to not be as hands on as Marvel when it comes to allowing directors to do what they want to do. Never said it was a good or bad thing. It just seems to be the way things are.

That depends on how much money you made them in the past. WB puts faith in their money makers, but you have to earn that creative freedom.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Was Winter Soldier 'serious and political' enough for you? That's the best you're going to get. Disney/Marvel wants to include children in the audience of their comic book movies. Crazy right?!
Indeed, thats one of my favorite Marvel movies thus far, but BP's world is bigger then Captain America's thus I expect a bigger movie. None of the BP comics I read were geared to children. In fact its the most mature Marvel comic (Priest run) in the mainstream lineup.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
It's the only option. They own the rights. :manny:

Guess people didn't want a BP movie after all. lol
Rather have no movie then a shytty one :yeshrug:

See Neil Gaiman as why he doesnt want to sell the rights to his Anansi Boys. But Di$ney is more about making money then producing fine material.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Just get Antoine Fuqua if you're going for a black director. Female directors doing action movies :camby:

bigelow is the only exception and I only give her props for Point Break

We don't need that right now fam. Man or woman I'm just glad to see one of us get a fair shake. Will have to suffice until we build our own economy.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Yes. Black Panther is not supposed to be a light hearted character like Spiderman or any of the Avengers. Disney is clearly going this route for their movies and that tone would be exteremely off-putting for a character like T'challa.

It needs to be a dark and serious movie with political and dark themes, not one-liners and cheap quips for laughs. Nolan's Batman and MoS clearly need to be a basis for BP, not Avengers 2, or IronMan, or even thor movies.
Officially speaking Nolans batman's aren't considered DCCU so MoS is the only film that qualifies. So again I ask you are basing your opinion off of 1 movie and a shaky one at that :francis:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Indeed, thats one of my favorite Marvel movies thus far, but BP's world is bigger then Captain America's thus I expect a bigger movie. None of the BP comics I read were geared to children. In fact its the most mature Marvel comic (Priest run) in the mainstream lineup.
but you DO KNOW that they have to somehow gear the shyt towards kids right?

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I can't believe so many of yall in here talking about why not Antoine Fuqua... :snoop:

If yall really trying to replace an award-winning Black director with a man who only does one type of action movie with little depth and doesn't even have full-on classics... :snoop:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the Coli has truly dissapointed me in this one...

We should be CHAMPIONING a credible BLACK director getting this opportunity, even more fantastic is that's it's a BLACK WOMAN, an actual CREDIBLE director who just made one of the best films of the year, not just a great "black" film but GREAT FILM PERIOD.

And yet nikkas on here are coming up with ANY excuse possible to shyt on, even the POSSIBILITY of this woman being chosen?

"White people created the character". Who gives a fukk? We all know that EVERY popular Marvel character was created by Stan Lee so that means Cacs have an eternity's worth of chokehold on the stories being told? The films being made? The vision? The creativity?

"She's unproven as an Action director" So was Kenneth Branaugh, who was directing Shakespeare adaptions before Thor. Jon Favereu, who was best known for making Elf before Iron Man. The Russo Brothers, who were directing episodes of COMMUNITY before directing the most critically acclaimed MCU film thus far released, Winter Soldier.

"Why should it be someone Black?". This is simply straight c00nery. I won't even validate that argument.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the Coli has truly dissapointed me in this one...

We should be CHAMPIONING a credible BLACK director getting this opportunity, even more fantastic is that's it's a BLACK WOMAN, an actual CREDIBLE director who just made one of the best films of the year, not just a great "black" film but GREAT FILM PERIOD.

And yet nikkas on here are coming up with ANY excuse possible to shyt on, even the POSSIBILITY of this woman being chosen?

"White people created the character". Who gives a fukk? We all know that EVERY popular Marvel character was created by Stan Lee so that means Cacs have an eternity's worth of chokehold on the stories being told? The films being made? The vision? The creativity?

"She's unproven as an Action director" So was Kenneth Branaugh, who was directing Shakespeare adaptions before Thor. Jon Favereu, who was best known for making Elf before Iron Man. The Russo Brothers, who were directing episodes of COMMUNITY before directing the most critically acclaimed MCU film thus far released, Winter Soldier.

"Why should it be someone Black?". This is simply straight c00nery. I won't even validate that argument.

Grant it I haven't read through the whole thread so I haven't seen that argument breh so I can't speak for it but for me, I've stated before: She's an awesome pick for it but I want them to let her use HER voice and find the best way her voice fits in with what they do rather than trumping their voice with hers because she deserves a lot better than that.

Secondly, I'm still torn on the idea of "hey you're a black woman, so we got black panther and captain marvel for you since you're black and a woman" which rubs me the wrong way. As a director, let alone a black one and a female, she should be able to get any damn job she wants because she's shown she's got the chops and I don't want her to be pigeonholed. And I know that's the place I'm coming from and some other cats. It's not about c00ning or any shyt like that, it's about exploring it from all angles rather than just saying "awesome!" and not thinking critically

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Rather have no movie then a shytty one :yeshrug:

See Neil Gaiman as why he doesnt want to sell the rights to his Anansi Boys. But Di$ney is more about making money then producing fine material.

Don't you have to wait and see it before calling it shytty?
I think every corporation is more about making money than producing fine material when it comes down to it. The ideal is to do both at the same time.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

People are psyching themselves out of liking it beforehand in order not to be disappointed. lol

I guess it just points to how important this movie is to a lot of people.

Kevin Feige please do right by us. :lupe: