"...we are just running at a f*cking wall, I think, and we're gonna crash on that wall really soon" - CDPR on 'AAA' RPG's

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I mean BioWare isn't even making the cinematic BioWare-style RPG anymore so that's not news. Who is really still making that style of game? I guess you could argue Bethesda but the development timeframe on those games are so long they spend the better part of a decade in development.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I mean BioWare isn't even making the cinematic BioWare-style RPG anymore so that's not news. Who is really still making that style of game? I guess you could argue Bethesda but the development timeframe on those games are so long they spend the better part of a decade in development.
That’s the only way it works nowadays.

It’s gotta be GTA/Skyrim situation where they spend 10 years making the game and 20 years cashing in or the economics just don’t make sense.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That’s the only way it works nowadays.

It’s gotta be GTA/Skyrim situation where they spend 10 years making the game and 20 years cashing in or the economics just don’t make sense.
The entire Mass Effect trilogy was released inside of 5 years though. It clearly doesn't have to be that way they just let it get out of control.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The entire Mass Effect trilogy was released inside of 5 years though. It clearly doesn't have to be that way they just let it get out of control.
Each game has to be bigger and better. New hardware and tools are great, but it takes more time/money to use them and meet modern expectations.

Devs, actors, artist, voice actors, etc are entitled to more money.

Games still cost $60-$70

Something has to break.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Each game has to be bigger and better. New hardware and tools are great, but it takes more time/money to use them and meet modern expectations.

Devs, actors, artist, voice actors, etc are entitled to more money.

Games still cost $60-$70

Something has to break.
Not really. The concept of Mass Effect 2 having the suicide mission was more integral to it's success than anything. Graphically it looked a but better but I think it was so successful due to design choices over production values. These are arbitrary decisions publishers and developers made. I think the fact that Nintendo franchises are so successful proves that game design and beat out production values and graphic fidelity. People liking the idea of the game is most important.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not really. The concept of Mass Effect 2 having the suicide mission was more integral to it's success than anything. Graphically it looked a but better but I think it was so successful due to design choices over production values. These are arbitrary decisions publishers and developers made. I think the fact that Nintendo franchises are so successful proves that game design and beat out production values and graphic fidelity. People liking the idea of the game is most important.

Nintendo games get a pass for being 720p 23fps while a game like Redfall gets trashed before it even comes out for not being locked at 4K 60fps.

Nintendo games are graded on a different scale because they are seen as kids toys. And the budget to make nintendo games is much smaller than a game like mass effect so they don’t need to sell as many copies. Nintendo games are closer to what we’d consider AA games, and nintendo makes money off hardware so profit margins on each individual game don’t need to be very high.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
BioWare is working on Dragon Age: Dreadwolf

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Nintendo games get a pass for being 720p 23fps while a game like Redfall gets trashed before it even comes out for not being locked at 4K 60fps.

Nintendo games are graded on a different scale because they are seen as kids toys. And the budget to make nintendo games is much smaller than a game like mass effect so they don’t need to sell as many copies. Nintendo games are closer to what we’d consider AA games, and nintendo makes money off hardware so profit margins on each individual game don’t need to be very high.
Not really.

Most Nintendo fans will outright tell you the Switch is weak af and they wish all the Switch Pro rumors were real because they don't like the graphics.

The reason Nintendo games thrive is that you pick a flagship Nintendo game and you know you're getting a fun game to play.

Gameplay is clearly the focus when it comes to Nintendo games, even if it's because they got nothing else in the bag but gimmicks since the Wii dropped, and that's why they got so many flagship series that are system sellers.

Take the BotW sequel for example. Everyone knows it's going to be hard-carried by the art style to not look like complete ass and it'll 100% struggle to maintain 30fps.

They also know it's a sequel to GOAT of the Wild and they'll easily sink 100+ hours on that shyt just having a good time, hearing about the accolades it'll stack, and the new shyt that's being found every week for the next 5 years. :manny:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Mass Effect 2 was state of the art when it came out, you’re doing it a disservice looking at it through a 2023 lens. Very few games back than had that level of production budget

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Not really.

Most Nintendo fans will outright tell you the Switch is weak af and they wish all the Switch Pro rumors were real because they don't like the graphics.

The reason Nintendo games thrive is that you pick a flagship Nintendo game and you know you're getting a fun game to play.

Gameplay is clearly the focus when it comes to Nintendo games, even if it's because they got nothing else in the bag but gimmicks since the Wii dropped, and that's why they got so many flagship series that are system sellers.

Take the BotW sequel for example. Everyone knows it's going to be hard-carried by the art style to not look like complete ass and it'll 100% struggle to maintain 30fps.

They also know it's a sequel to GOAT of the Wild and they'll easily sink 100+ hours on that shyt just having a good time, hearing about the accolades it'll stack, and the new shyt that's being found every week for the next 5 years. :manny:
Nintendo still gets a pass for shyt other companies wouldnt. The people who want a Switch Pro are more concerned with performance. For instance. If every single game ran at 60fps switch owners would barely care about graphics.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nintendo still gets a pass for shyt other companies wouldnt. The people who want a Switch Pro are more concerned with performance. For instance. If every single game ran at 60fps switch owners would barely care about graphics.

Thats what I want but idk if its true for the general nintendo fan. I don’t think most nintendo fans care about graphics, their audience largely consist of casual gamers who care more for the portability aspect than the graphical or performance potential. They aren’t that far removed from mobile gamers

I’ve said this before, its about setting expectations. Nintendo hasn’t marketed itself as being a powerful system since the N64, they market the gimmicks and promote the games around it.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Again lots of people reported cyberpunk not being as glitchy as your experince here.

Some people had to get a whole new damn PS5 cause of miles morales.

It’s impossible to quantify how much of it was happening as everyone’s experiences vary.

What is possible to quantify is the very different tone the internet took talking about the issues.
This is true. The game didn’t run bad on Xbox series x. Cause the console had more raw power to handle backwards compatible games

Game was really fun

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
But they wouldn't mind if they got a graphics boost. That's why so many people emulate and upscale them.

Nintendo definitely gets a pass, but there are reasons for it.